Hyperspace

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Hyperspace

Post by Beowulf »

I was just wondering if it would be possible to use SPEC for hyperspace. Does SPEC support intersystem travel? If not would it be a lot of work to implement it? Of course for intersystem travel SPEC would have to be a lot faster---if I remember correctly the Victor Star Destroyer is capable of doing 127 light years per hour...
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Beowulf a look at how the Star Trek mod does it might show the way.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Another option could be to store the whole SW universe in one single "system" - and then add navpoints for the systems and spec around.

If your intention is just to have the visual spec-effect, I guess there are other ways you can realize this more easily.
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Hm, if I understand correctly you just get transferred to the next system if you cross a system edge in vegatrek. I'm not sure this is the right thing to do in the Star Wars universe since there is the Interdictor Cruiser which can force you out of hyperspace somewhere along your route without you being aware of the fact that he is waiting for you. In Star Wars you are effectively blind in hyperspace. Would vast distances be a problem if I put all star systems into one vegastrike star system? There's also the problem that realistic hyperspace travel wouldn't exactly be fun to the player since it would take hours to reach your destination. Time compression would be an option for single player games, but not for multiplayer. We could make the spec autopilot take care of traveling so the player is never in hyperspace for longer than a few minutes before he reaches his destination---which would neglect the different speeds at which different craft travel but that would be a sacrifice I would be willing to make...
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hm, if I understand correctly you just get transferred to the next system if you cross a system edge in vegatrek.
Basically yes, if you tend to avoid code work.
I'm not sure this is the right thing to do in the Star Wars universe since there is the Interdictor Cruiser which can force you out of hyperspace somewhere along your route without you being aware of the fact that he is waiting for you.
If there is nothing similar in VS, then you'll have to do code work anyway.
Would vast distances be a problem if I put all star systems into one vegastrike star system?
Assumably not, simply modify spec to respond much faster and go much faster. Besides that, you cannot collide with an object in spec - try to ram a planet, the game automatically decreases speed.

I just thought about cycling through nav points this way, like Yavin, Endor, etc.

On the other hand you'd have real preformance problems, for all ships would be fully calculated. Hmm... maybe the idea is not that good.