Star wars mod: planning

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

Derek

Questions

Post by Derek »

I had a few questions/suggestions for the Vega Wars mod (hope I'm posting it in the right place): Are droids going to be used in this mod? Especially for small craft as astrodroids and larger craft as repair droids? Will there be the small transports to dock with and capture larger spacecraft with (such as the stormtrooper transports)? And finally, will there be disabling ion cannons (such as on the Y-Wing).

Great concept though, hope it works, I always wanted to find an expandable Star Wars game. If you need help with 3D modeling, programming or scripting then let me know, I have a little experience in it.
Email is Sneemaster@yahoo.com

Post by Guest »

First of all, is this still a viable planned mod, or has this gone dead? I'm willing to throw in some time to work wherever I can. I'm willing to learn C/C++/Python as needed, but I much prefer to work on units. I can also work on mission/campaign planning, I've had experience GMing for some SW RPGs.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:First of all, is this still a viable planned mod, or has this gone dead? I'm willing to throw in some time to work wherever I can. I'm willing to learn C/C++/Python as needed, but I much prefer to work on units. I can also work on mission/campaign planning, I've had experience GMing for some SW RPGs.
Yes that's me, I forgot to login. Just wanted to add, I think after RotJ is best. Pirates and newbies can still fly the old ships (Y-wings, Z-95s), we could have the faction-specific ships, and could even throw in the EP I, II, III ships as antiques and hidden extras somewhere. And it needs to be VERY hard to get your own ISD (unless you're a mod :D )!
Jennos
Trader
Trader

Post by Jennos »

OMG stupid computer...the above is me, Jennos! :x
Just another pilot...
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

So who is currently working on this project?
"It's the most bizarre part of this entire campaign."
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

cap ship fighter launching in Star wars mod

Post by Sneemaster »

Is there is some better way to fix the way fighter craft are stored, launched and recovered from the capital ships, especially for this mod? Vegastrike still needs some work in that regard. I can't wait to try launching fighters from nebulon frigates. Has anyone worked on that yet? Currently you have to drop the fighters as cargo and hope you can tractor them in after a fight.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Currently, I have very little done. I've been trying to motivate myslef to pick up work on this again, but unfortunantly I have a work is making this hard for me.

Lets see... I work 1-10 tommorow so maybe I'll try to wake myself up at seven (*yeah right*) and see if I can get something presentable done...
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

Do you currently have any 3d models setup for it? If not, do you need some? I can scrounge around for some off the net or make some. Is there any other help you could use? Sounds, music, graphics, missions?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Yeah, I have some models from e-walker, which are really good.

Unfortunantly though,each has about 20 different textures, and I'm not the most talented exporter...

Help would be good. Having someone else develop with me would well, at the very least force me to dedicate time to the project.

Right now I have nothing but a whole bunch of models that are painfull to convert, and a lot of cool ideas in my head.

But yeah, I could use help with getting these models into VS, missions, music, etc...

Pretty much anything right now :wink:
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

I am currently using Anim8tor (its not great but ok), so I can work on .obj and .3ds files. Send a couple over (even without textures if you have to) so I can get an idea of scale and then I can make some more objects, like ships, containers, guns, etc in the Star Wars style. I can certainly help with mission creation as well. For music we could temporarily use actual star wars music mp3s for testing until we can create some of our own. I'm no musician, so someone else will need to make some I think. I need to study the VS xmls to get familiar with them, but yes I can help.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

well, we have 90 or so models, so they arent much of a problem. The big problem (for me at least) is conversion, as I'm a bit stumped with all of the textures (VS only supports one texture per mesh)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well with the new bfxm and obj formats that the new VS supports--- it can have many textures per mesh

jsut convert an obj file into a single bfxm
or else convert it to multiple xmesh files
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

oh cool. I havent tried any BFXM stuff yet, but i'll have to give it a try!
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

this A-wing (texture and model by E-walker, and hi-res touch up of the texture by me) for example, is hard to make into XMESH because it has several objects, but some of those objects have multiple textures.

This is possible to donvert to BFXM?

If so, how?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=2406

The mesher utility is very nice, and has been used much so far for the Trek mod.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

thanks, I seem to remember skimming through that... guess I kind of forgot about it though...
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

they were designed for xwa, in those old times I had to split textures to a little size
I see dead polygons....
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

I remember the games like X-Wing where storm trooper transports could capture larger craft like frigates and corvettes by docking with them. Is that a feasible addition to this mod?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Not with the current AI, though you could probably hack it together with python mission scripting (but that would be really freaking hard). Hopefully in the future this will be possible.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

if that were part of the mission it would not be very difficult at all
there's a docking script

so the mission would tell teh fighter to dock
as soon as the docking operation were complete (as detected to have started and then ended by the mission or quest) then it would change the faction of the ship in question to the appropriate faction...
not too bad
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

if that were part of the mission it would not be very difficult at all
there's a docking script

so the mission would tell teh fighter to dock
as soon as the docking operation were complete (as detected to have started and then ended by the mission or quest) then it would change the faction of the ship in question to the appropriate faction...
not too bad
Can you actually disable a ship in VS, for example using Ion cannons to knock out its power/shields/engines. Then have a mission scripted so you can dock only once the ship is disabled?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

yes, that would be possible.

I never knew VS had an AI docking script though!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well there are energy draining weapons

and if we don['t have the ability to check for 0 energy we could add that to python without trouble
Sneemaster
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Sneemaster »

Then that would work for this mod...the Ywing, Bwing, Tie Defender, and many other fighters, pirates and cap ships in Star Wars have ion cannons for disabling. You could have missions where you can capture, raid or repair ships that are disabled, depending on the mission. For example you need to go repair/rescue a freighter that was disabled in a Pirate ion cannon trap, steal cargo from disabled ships, capture the princess on a corvette with your star destroyer (ie. "Commander, tear this ship apart until you've found those plans and bring me the passengers. I want them alive." --Vader) :D
Jennos
Trader
Trader

Post by Jennos »

is this mod dead?
Just another pilot...