Hey!

Discuss the Vega Wars mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: hurleybird

Jedhyr
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Hey!

Post by Jedhyr »

What's up guys, I have a couple of questions about your little project.

Well, really one MAIN question.

Does it support multiplayer?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Jedhyr the short answer not yet there is minimal support for MP in the main engine ATM and Beowulf is currently in the process of moving from the old stable version.so it's coming :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Jedhyr
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Jedhyr »

I was wondering because, well. I play on Freelancer, I'm not sure if you have heard or remember it.

And we run the Freeworlds mod, a Star Wars TC, and I saw this website, and figured I'd bring it up to our modders that it could be possible to switch to another engine.

So...who knows, you may have some extra support sometime in the future.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: in that case look the engine over kick the tires metaphorically the lead moder ATM is Beowulf and has busy lately with R\L i imagine :shock: if you have questions on the capability of the engine itself just post or PM me 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Jedhyr
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Jedhyr »

The engine looks pretty good, there is only one issue I'm concerned about, and that's multiplayer support.

It's a giant Roleplaying mod, with about....18 systems or so and over 200 craft, fighters, bombers, capital ships, and freighters.

So...we've got alot of models and whatnot, I'm just concerned that the only thing that would bring the idea down is the multiplayer, so any info you can give me over the mod so I can give to our modders would be greatly appreciated.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Multi-player is very limited ATM just a single system ace123 has added jumps to an other system lately but is stabilizing the code so multi-player is not ready for general release yet so stay tuned.Ace123 has been using this thread for news and update info http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9305

Jedhyr
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Jedhyr »

I'll definitely look into it, I've heard this engine is capable of a lot of cool stuff.

Maybe I'll be able to convince them to look into this before the finish the next build, but they said they'd look into it.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Multiplayer support is being added after the entire engine was designed and built, an afterthought.

The engine is pretty flexible, and if there's something that needs to be changed, it is easy to hack the source code and add another config option.

What sort of other features are you looking at? Systems and ships are pretty standard so they should be pretty easy to add if you get the mesher.
Jedhyr
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Jedhyr »

Really the only thing I'm worried about is the multiplayer support.

Because I'm almost 90% positive they would go for it if it were easy to switch, and if the multiplayer support was similar or better.

Unless they could be convinced to aid in the networking issues.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Freelancer is a commercial game, while vegastrike is developed by only a handful of people in their spare time.

It doesn't yet have all the capabilities of freelancer... Definitely no 3d bases or landing on planets but most other things should be doable.

Most of the core engine features have been added to multiplayer, and lots of things can be done with python scripting.

So the question for you to consider is whether you want to take a more established, but closed engine like freelancer, or an open source, open development engine like vegastrike.
Shadow2336
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Shadow2336 »

ace123 wrote:It doesn't yet have all the capabilities of freelancer... Definitely no 3d bases or landing on planets but most other things should be doable.

Most of the core engine features have been added to multiplayer, and lots of things can be done with python scripting.

So the question for you to consider is whether you want to take a more established, but closed engine like freelancer, or an open source, open development engine like vegastrike.
Little intro: I'm a developer over from Freeworlds, and am looking at Vega strike as perhaps a replacement for FL.

Freelancer has become stagnant. It's not even supported by MS anymore, so we can throw that out the window. However, there are certain items that we'd like to see in a MP version of this. We've been spoiled by landing on planets and 3d bases...

However, I'm wondering where I can take a look at some of the tools that people can use to mod the data files for this game (IE: Ships, Systems, bases, etc..)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The main tools at the moment are:
Mesher--Converts meshes from OBJ,Xmesh,BFXM(Format that vegastrike uses).

CSV editor--The unit stats are stored in a spreadsheet. Also have upgrades and cargo here.

Systems--XML files that are autogenerated from another XML file, and you can try to get it as close as possible to the final layout, then fix up the rest of the stats by hand.

Bases--Unfortunately these are only 2D right now. 3D bases is one of the most requested features for many years but no developer has coded it yet.
Bases are entirely scripted in python, with sprites and linked screen areas. I have a program that I wrote to aid in generating these from a folder of sprite images.

Communications--XML files, all written by hand. You can probably manage to crop out copies of vegastrike's files for basic comm dialog.

Cockpits--XML files, includes a mesh, sprites and locations of elements on the heads up display.

Missions are coded in python... you can probably use the standard vega strike missions (cargo,bounty,patrol) if you are even interested in them.
If not, how do players earn money?
As multiplayer support improves, I am working on multiplayer-only missions, like putting a bounty on another human player.

Music--Vegastrike only supports the OGG format (as well as WAV).

Anyway people here can help you through all of those items. There are also sections in the wiki page for most of them.