Babylon 5 Starship Commander

Discuss the Babylon 5 mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderator: etheral walker

Cyberkada
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Babylon 5 Starship Commander

Post by Cyberkada »

Development has stopped for Babylon 5 Starship Commander on the Conitec engine. Development is moving to the Vega Strike engine due to engine speed, usabilty and graphics. So this means I will need ships and other objects in obj format. Specs and weapons will be based upon B5Wars. The interface will be similar to Starfleet Command.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Huh, interesting. You will have to roll up your sleeves if you want to get Vega Strike working as a "tactical simulator". Right now there's a lot of the 'simulator' and not much of the 'tactical'.
Cyberkada
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Cyberkada »

I have started on the map (based upon B5Wars). Jumpgates graphics are a problem - but my solution is jump from system to hyperspace. no direct system to system jumping.

Need to find a way in code to duplicate the SSD-type graphics andweapons control of SFC that I had using the other engine.

Stats and weapons are coming from B5Wars.

I have a G'quon + Frazi, Whitestar+ Nial, the Babylon 5 Station, and one Hyperion converted thus far from 3dgs .mdl7 format. I'm a programmer -not a modeller. I see Etheral Walker has some meshes - maybe we can get something released. I will get the B5 rotation finished tonight.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

The hyperspace thing sounds feasible, this is what culture20 was planning for his Star Control mod...

You can have a central "hyperspace" system with a special background that only contains jump points to other systems, and force all systems to only have jumps to the "hub system". AFAIK, you would have to hand-code such a galaxy, although I'm no expert on system generation.
Cyberkada
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

B5 Galaxy and proper jump effects...

Post by Cyberkada »

I have a few systems hard-coded, moving out from the Epsilon sector. Epsilon sector connects the to Epsilon sector hyperspace, which connects to other sectors. This is based on the map in B5Wars, each system has an actual system and a corresponding hyperspace area. How to ad-hoc jumps - non jumpgate jumps - will be problematic...
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool!

Would you mind sending me a copy of your hard-coded sector? I'd like to see this concept in action.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ad-hoc jumps can be scripted.
But as for pressing a key to trigger them, yes... that will be problematic without engine changes.
An easy way to handle that, engine-wise (and for you too, since you're a programmer ;) ) would be with 'python key bindings' - I've been meaning to add them for a while. A key bound to "Python" would go to a configurable python module that would handle it. Then, in that module, you trigger whatever action you want - from creating an ad-hoc jump point, to triggering complex AI commands - or perhaps complex interactions with campaign characters - whatever you want and can program in python.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe