Ship Information

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

There is a FOV variable in the vegasrike.config file the interior of bases can also have a separate FOV that i believe is controlled by the python script that generates it. Oh and
Ahhhh..... every day i learn more. Thanx a lot.
I have found this in the vegastrike.config file which can be found in the main vegatrek directory:
<var name="fov" value="90.0"/>
<var name="aspect" value="1.333"/>
<var name="znear" value="4"/>
So this looks as if we have 90 degrees. I will have a look how it changes if i choose 60 degrees.
Now another question: How (un)detailed should the models be? E.g. every window really a transparent surface with 'active' light, or only a window painted on the texture? I attach a rendered image of a model I made some time ago, when I just began with Blender. It's rather a phantasy base than a real class. I made it as a graphic for a story about a small scientific station called "Aslan". Oh, and I am aware that bases aren't yellow normally
Well, as star trek starbases are huge and usually have hundreds of windows I suggest a window painted at the surface and a decent glowmap (have a look at some of the models in the units folder to see what i mean). You may have one or several docking bays, but thats up to you.
Well, Esgaroth, I don't know which pack it is, as I just use what can be downoaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/platform ... _id=191689.
http://hometown.aol.de/atreuter/raider.zip

Here you can download the first changes. I have changed the flight dynamics of the danube a bit (made it a bit more manoeuverable) and have added a new ship, the maquis raider. Just put the raider folder and the units.csv in the units folder and the faction_ships.py in the modules folder.
But what is most irritating, I do not have any readings about their state. Only "Theta Class/pirates"
If there is no Hud image, you dont get the status of their shields etc. I am working on this.
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Thanks a lot, esgaroth! I'll download it. Unpack and overwrite all?
(Mostly inactive) Crewman Apprentice Quork Q'Tar of the Austrian Star Fleet ÖSF
Former Cadet 1st Quork Q'Tar of the German Star Fleet DeSF
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Jes, unpack it, put the folder and the 2 files at their respective places and overwrite the old units.csv and faction_ships.py.
However, this package is already some weeks old, you still cannot buy torpedos there.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

BTW, as long as the cracks are looking in here, ive got a question concerning the communications.
When i want to give a new faction some communications and faces, ive done the ani file, wav files and a com file. However, that doesnt seems to work. Most likely, somewhere there is a script that assignes the com data (pic, text and wav) to the factions. Anyone out there who knows where to find it ?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Things you've been searching like crazy usually are in front of your face... so try factions.xml :wink: :lol:
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Aaargh....
another beer for you if you ever happen to visit lake constance :-)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'll take the train in this case... don't drink and drive
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

esgaroth wrote:lake constance :-)
Is this the English word for "Bodensee"? If so, hi neighbour! I'm from Stuttgart region ;-)
Ferengi not liking money
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Oh, I forgot to say: I'll post an image of my newest starbase (still not a model of one being in ST...). But I have two problems:
1. I don't have Python installed on my PC, so I can't export to .obj. Would somebody convert .blend files to .obj when I've got finished files, please?
2. I'll probably find a solution, but now I'm stuck a bit at texturing. It seems the faces of a cylinder (except top and bottom) can't be textured with an image texture, at least not while set to "smooth".

Q
Ferengi not liking money
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just install Python or failing that email them to me loki1950 at gmail.com

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Thanks, Loki ;-)
When they are ready I'll send them to you, as I'm owning only one third of the PC :roll: and my parents, who own the remaining two thirds say they don't want Python installed on the PC :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:
Ferengi not liking money
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

No problem i can understand there concern don't want you to become a script kiddie :wink: and as you said it is the family machine.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Thanks ;-)
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Is this the English word for "Bodensee"? If so, hi neighbour! I'm from Stuttgart region
Ha ! En Schwobeseggl ! Mich hats hier nach Friedrichshafen verschlagen. Ist aber nur knapp hinter der badischen Grenze.... (Komme eigentlich aus dem badischen, wie aus den obigen Ausführungen vermutlich rauszuhören war...)
2. I'll probably find a solution, but now I'm stuck a bit at texturing. It seems the faces of a cylinder (except top and bottom) can't be textured with an image texture, at least not while set to "smooth".
If necessary, i can try to texture it with wings. Jus post your model and for the rest we find a solution.
I'll take the train in this case... don't drink and drive
Clever guy. We will find a time maybe in late spring (my son is having a surgery in Tübingen in two weeks and after all is finished we can have a meeting.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ha ! En Schwobeseggl ! (...) Komme eigentlich aus dem badischen
Quork Q'Tar, Esgaroth is a Badenzer traitor... forget about this guy we Swabians must stick together :wink:
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Dilloh wrote:
Quork Q'Tar, Esgaroth is a Badenzer traitor... forget about this guy we Swabians must stick together :wink:
If I were a Swabian... But I'm from even further then esgaroth; as far as Warsaw ;-) (Not that this means I don't understand the Swabian language or don't know that "Kenner trinken Württemberger" ;-))
Ferengi not liking money
()Alf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ()Alf »

Ha ! En Schwobeseggl !
tztz :mrgreen:
Enjoy the Tri p :shock:
My Box:: Board: Fujitsu-Siemens D2156S; CPU: Pentium 4 - 3.4GHz Core²Duo; GraCa: ATI Radeon X1600Pro (PCIe); RAM: 3GB; Sound: Creative SB Audigy 1; 2xHD(ntfs): Pri_120GB,Sec_250GB; OS: Win-XP-Pro-SP2_32bit
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

OK, I finally got the vertical faces textured. But Blender seems to make the textures so that they are aligned with the camera, not with the object, I post a rendered image so you can see what I mean. To explain the shape, as the wrong textures make it unreadable: It is a vertical prism with a 6-edge base seen from the side and a bit from the upside. And there is a bay on the left side, so you can see how much the texture is warped on the object...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Dilloh wrote:
Quote:
Quork Q'Tar, Esgaroth is a Badenzer traitor... forget about this guy we Swabians must stick together

If I were a Swabian... But I'm from even further then esgaroth; as far as Warsaw (Not that this means I don't understand the Swabian language or don't know that "Kenner trinken Württemberger" )
Ha ! The swabian conspiracy was nipped in the bud ! But although we havent forgotten the swabian treason from 1848, badenian separatism has calmed down recently. But do not fear ! If we can accept rather strange species as "ferengi not liking money" we might give Species 12565 (swabians) a try... :-)
And no, we will not discuss about the quality (or lack thereof...) of wine from swabia....
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

OK, now we found that anachronist fights between speakers of different dialects aren't able to endager the integrity of the Federation :wink: let's work on some bases. I have made the skeleton of one at home, (still not an accurate model of a ST base... If you have still some basic problems you can't begin doing exact models. Although I'm planning to start a small one after I'm back from Warsaw and a following school excursion, that's to say February 14th, if I find a picture of a base not being either DS9 or a spacedock...), and now I have the texturing problem mentioned above. At the moment I deleted textures again and am working on the model only, but I'd like to know a solution..
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Forget about the textures, if everything fails we can texture the model with a separate program (even old wings can do that...). So if you like you can google (picture search) for ty gokor, which is a large klingon starbase/station. Having a model for this would be very nice (the klingon chancellor at least woill be happy).
http://memory-alpha.org/de/wiki/Ty'Gokor
http://www.green-mole.com/stationen/kli ... gokor.html
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

OK, I'm back, I'll try and not despair on Ty Gokor ;-) as I'm not good yet...
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

I´m back, too, although not with too much time. If you have something intermediate to show, dont hesitate. When i have a bit of spare time, i´ll try to start modding the vegastrike 0.5, although my first small experiences with this were not too encouraging....
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Well, please don't expect Ty Gokor too quick - I have to admit I overestimated my 3D-graphics-knowledge. I know Blender, but I don't know still such things like whether you make a rough form and then go more and more into the detail, or whether you start at the detail level you want to be the final, and so on. And as this is a VegaTrek forum and not a, well, (what is it called in English? "Selbsthilfegruppe" in German) for 3d-newbies I'll have to learn on my own, and make and remake tutorials, read, and excercise, excercise, excercise. But I'll make it.
Quork
Ferengi not liking money
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Blender has own forums, with lots of tutorials and the chance to ask veteran Blenderheads about certain issues. I'd say you should ask Chuck down at PU to point you into the right direction.