I have found a good site with lots of details from ships in Star trek
I hope this informationes help you for the game

Linkhttp://www.hyperspacevision.de/Starship ... ration.htm
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Thanx,
but at the moment we need someone with python skills, the information is not the point where we are stuck....
I am just trying to modify the privateer remake for vegatrek so that missions and news work-but without python knowledge and only a few minutes per day most is try and error with 99% error :-(
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You should ask on the forums for python help. A lot of the developers like me can probably help you.
Also, if you get errors we can figure out what they mean so you don't have to "try and error" your way through.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

ace123 wrote:You should ask on the forums for python help. A lot of the developers like me can probably help you.
Also, if you get errors we can figure out what they mean so you don't have to "try and error" your way through.
Which subforum you suggest to ask?
While building missions for VegaTrek I faced such a big problems...
For example no waytpoints at all for AI/Player... I saw some python examples from PR, but without any python FAQ, Python VS API Docs -- there is no chance to build anything for our mod
God bless you!
master_666
Explorer
Explorer

Post by master_666 »

:D hello again :D

I don't know much about this site because it's in english^^
But then you can find your things you need better (i hope)

Site:http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/index-starships.htm

I hope you can something do with this site
there are a lot of shuttles and other ships and than you can find a shipsizepage there are all sizes of the ships :D

So i hope i've help you

master_666
master_666
Explorer
Explorer

Post by master_666 »

There good site site too!!! :wink:

It's in English and there are 3d Starships / Animations and lots more ( look at the Databank!)

Site : http://www.trekmania.net/

master_666
master_666
Explorer
Explorer

Post by master_666 »

And there is a good site too^^

It have a good ship databank with weapons of the ships and very much Ships of nearly all species!

Site link:http://www.st-intelligence.com/

You must go to "ST-I Ship Databank"
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Hi

I'd like to contribute, but as I have no programming competencys, except for Java, I can only do artwork. I read somewhere in this forum somebody stating that there are not enough starbases. I have some experience and knowledge of Blender, so could I contribute this way? If so, which file type should I use? *.blender? And where should I send/upload those files then?

Quork

___
Crewman Aprentice of the Austrian Star Fleet ÖSF
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Quork Q'Tar the leads on this mod are tillias and esgaroth both have real life concerns ATM new job(tillias) and new baby(esgaroth) but an e-mail to either(use the button under there posts)of your interest should be welcome as for posting art do you have a hosting service(photobucket,imageskack etc) link to the image just a render or two for discussion 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi Qork Q´Tar !
There is nothing like "only artwork" - we really are in need of artwork, so be welcome !
The things we need most urgent at the moment are base art pictures- federation/klingon/romulan bars, concourse, etc. I have been working on some landing pad pics which i will post here soon, but with interiors I simply have no experience at all. If you are better in ships and stations, we need for example a ferengi starbase and a ferengi outpost (the ferengi have only a D´kora class at the moment, nothing else). Some splash screens are also always appreciated...
I´d like best to have 3d models in .obj format-dont know whether blender can do this, but i would guess so.
And usually, if you have some ideas or already done something, present the pics here in this forum so that they can be seen and discussed. Or (second best) just send them to me (atreuter@aol.com).
Welcome aboard and live long and prosper,

Esgaroth
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Just forgot the shipyards - a nice romulan, ferengi or even klingon (we have one, but not so nice) shipyard would also be nice.
I personally am still waiting for a nice model of the federation shipyard that is seen at the end of "Nemesis"....
And the romulan starbase at the moment is just plain shit- just made them as a placeholder, so any better suggestions are welcome....
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

OK, here are the promised pics...
This is the shipdealer screen at utopia planitia shipyards:

And here are some planetary landing sites, some are more finished than others...

Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

OK, two more questions: Shall all SB be as exact copies of those visible in ST as possible, or may I complete also using my phantasy? E.g. I don't think in Star Trek there were shown big SB of the Ferengi, but they surely have some. Even if maybe not as big as SB74. And even on the federation side there are different classes, and some invented additionally can look realistic to, as in the fanmade series "Hidden Frontier", here's an image:
http://gallery.hiddenfrontier.com/main. ... itemId=665
The second question is:
I see everything in a really, um, untypic perspective. I think this is called fisheye effect. Here's a screenshot attached, scaled down from 1024*768. Is this always this way, an if not, what could be the problem? I downoladed it two or three days ago, before I used something around 2.9, which was by some means terrific, but at least the view was perfect.
Quork
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

I forgot to say, that is much, much more disturbing in motion, as you can imagine. My graphic card is ATI Radeon XPRESS 200, with the newest driver. Now I don't know whether VegaTrek is OpenGL or DirectX, but both work: Google Earth in OpenGL and FlightGear in DirectX.

Quork

Edit: Ortography
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

OK, two more questions: Shall all SB be as exact copies of those visible in ST as possible, or may I complete also using my phantasy? E.g. I don't think in Star Trek there were shown big SB of the Ferengi, but they surely have some. Even if maybe not as big as SB74. And even on the federation side there are different classes, and some invented additionally can look realistic to, as in the fanmade series "Hidden Frontier", here's an image:
http://gallery.hiddenfrontier.com/main. ... itemId=665
Actually, as close as possible to the movies is preferred, but we cannot only relate to canon, as there are only federation starbases shown in ST (OK, one klingon also, Ty Gokor for what we also have no model, btw.), therefore you can let your imagination run free as long as the "general style" of that faction is kept. For this, it is good to present your work here in the forum where it can be discussed. We have a nice Federation Starbase, a nice Jupiter station and a reasonably working federation outpost (based on the particle fountain), however, there are some more stations shown in ST which await modelling.
I know Hidden frontier and have all seasons here at DVD....
I see everything in a really, um, untypic perspective. I think this is called fisheye effect. Here's a screenshot attached, scaled down from 1024*768. Is this always this way, an if not, what could be the problem? I downoladed it two or three days ago, before I used something around 2.9, which was by some means terrific, but at least the view was perfect.
I know this problem, but as I myself have no programming abilities beyond try and error and common sense, I have no clue how to solve this problem. What did you mean with you used 2.9 ? 2.9 what ? Where ?
Best wishes,
Esgaroth
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

esgaroth wrote:What did you mean with you used 2.9 ? 2.9 what ? Where ?
Well, I meant the verision. The latest version available through the VegaStrike download site in December (?). I kicked it from my HD when I downloaded the new verision, and the VegaTrek packages where deleted from the VegaStrike downloadspage, so I don't know which version ist was, but I think it was something around 2.9.

Oh, one more thing. Are the Theta Class ships intended to be that strong? I destroyed a romulan warbird in a 15 minutes battle with phasers only, and then lost a battle whith a pirate, using up all photon torpedoes in maybe 2 minutes, and one or two minutes later I had to flee with warp speed having lost all shields and with heavy damages to the hull.
(Mostly inactive) Crewman Apprentice Quork Q'Tar of the Austrian Star Fleet ÖSF
Former Cadet 1st Quork Q'Tar of the German Star Fleet DeSF
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Well, I meant the verision. The latest version available through the VegaStrike download site in December (?). I kicked it from my HD when I downloaded the new verision, and the VegaTrek packages where deleted from the VegaStrike downloadspage, so I don't know which version ist was, but I think it was something around 2.9.
Ah, i thought it was 0.4.3, but that doesnt matter. I will ask ace sooner or later concerning this and he may be able to help us (dilloh called him something like "vegastrike half-god :-)")
Oh, one more thing. Are the Theta Class ships intended to be that strong? I destroyed a romulan warbird in a 15 minutes battle with phasers only, and then lost a battle whith a pirate, using up all photon torpedoes in maybe 2 minutes, and one or two minutes later I had to flee with warp speed having lost all shields and with heavy damages to the hull.
Well, basically thats why I asked for feedback. Generally, they definitely shouldnt be able to destroy a warbird rather easily. However, ifyou are a clever pilot and your enemy ai was rather dumb, then this i quite possible. Incompetent captains are a major reason for losses. What is your opinion: why was the warbird defeated? ai too bad, your shields too strong, your ship overarmed/overpowered ?
Most ships including the theta arent balanced so far, so feedback like yours is extremely valuable (and, unfortunately, rather rare....)
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

esgaroth wrote: Well, basically thats why I asked for feedback. Generally, they definitely shouldnt be able to destroy a warbird rather easily. However, ifyou are a clever pilot and your enemy ai was rather dumb, then this i quite possible. Incompetent captains are a major reason for losses. What is your opinion: why was the warbird defeated? ai too bad, your shields too strong, your ship overarmed/overpowered ?
Most ships including the theta arent balanced so far, so feedback like yours is extremely valuable (and, unfortunately, rather rare....)
It seems I didn't put this right. Well, here's the story:

My ship was a Danube class one.
On a in-system-patrol-mission in Sol-system I had three encounters with romulan warbirds. I destroyed them directly one after the other, with only minor damage. I used up my photon torpedoes in the first two battles, so I had to, and managed, to destroy a warbird with only the phaser banks. After maybe fifteen minutes of "arrive-shoot-fly with warp speed-turn-return at warp speed" I finally destroyed the Romulans. (With them being rather dumb. Shot more randomly than in my direction.) I started the game again, made also an in-system-mission, but landed somehow near what I assume to be Proxima Centauri (could be because I forgot the warp drive being on and went to have a cup of tea...). There I fell directly into a battle of a big cardassian ship, I forgot what class it was, and three ships I didn't recognize at once. I only saw them fly at extremely high speed and making sharp turns I could only dream of, so I decided to be better on their side than on the side of the slow and in the meantime nearly shieldless Cardassians. I fired some phaser shots, and the weakened ship was destroyed, although it was rather by a torpedoe of the unidentified ships. Two of them flew away immediately, but one remained and attacked me. Now I saw on the right side it was a pirate Theta class ship, and, well, after two minutes of desperate fight I fled with warp speed to the nearest planet and bought a "Basic Repairs". Then the game itself crashed, so this was the end. But what is most irritating, I do not have any readings about their state. Only "Theta Class/pirates" or something like that. Oh, and they aren't exactly what you call dumb. His favorite maneuver was to hang directly over me and shoot in my back, and I had no chance to turn the Danube's nose toward him and shoot. He compensated every movement with his speed, and I never had a glimpse of more than half a second on 'main screen'.

Oh, and what I wanted to ask: Where can I get new torpedoes? On whatever planet I would land, even in Sol System, there's no cargo to buy and no uprades except "Basic Repair". And Utopia Planetitia Shipyards wouldn't even let me dock - they sent me off with a rather unfriendly "Keep your distance to us". So no chance of getting a new ship this way, is there?
Ferengi not liking money
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

It seems I didn't put this right. Well, here's the story:

My ship was a Danube class one.
On a in-system-patrol-mission in Sol-system I had three encounters with romulan warbirds. I destroyed them directly one after the other, with only minor damage.
With a danube class ? Well, thats interesting. Actually havent done that yet. Do you use my improved flight dynamics or the basic one ? The Warbirds are quite slow, but they should have phaser banks in every direction. Must check this, maybe their target efficiency is almost zero. In the faction_ships.xml, there is a list with all ship classes and some variables like chance to hit, chance to dodge etc. Dont know for what they are good and at the moment their values are rather random. You can try to modify the values there with a simple text editor and see whether this makes a difference (I would be interested in the results....).
I started the game again, made also an in-system-mission, but landed somehow near what I assume to be Proxima Centauri (could be because I forgot the warp drive being on and went to have a cup of tea...).
Jepp, flying with warp and having a certain distance to the sun brings you to the next system in that direction. Cycling through all targets with "n" should give you the name of the sun. Or you press shift-m and go to the nav screen.
There I fell directly into a battle of a big cardassian ship, I forgot what class it was, and three ships I didn't recognize at once. I only saw them fly at extremely high speed and making sharp turns I could only dream of, so I decided to be better on their side than on the side of the slow and in the meantime nearly shieldless Cardassians. I fired some phaser shots, and the weakened ship was destroyed, although it was rather by a torpedoe of the unidentified ships. Two of them flew away immediately, but one remained and attacked me. Now I saw on the right side it was a pirate Theta class ship, and, well, after two minutes of desperate fight I fled with warp speed to the nearest planet and bought a "Basic Repairs". Then the game itself crashed, so this was the end. But what is most irritating, I do not have any readings about their state. Only "Theta Class/pirates" or something like that. Oh, and they aren't exactly what you call dumb. His favorite maneuver was to hang directly over me and shoot in my back, and I had no chance to turn the Danube's nose toward him and shoot. He compensated every movement with his speed, and I never had a glimpse of more than half a second on 'main screen'.

Oh, and what I wanted to ask: Where can I get new torpedoes? On whatever planet I would land, even in Sol System, there's no cargo to buy and no uprades except "Basic Repair". And Utopia Planetitia Shipyards wouldn't even let me dock - they sent me off with a rather unfriendly "Keep your distance to us". So no chance of getting a new ship this way, is there?
First, you cant buy torpedos yet. I have it now working here, but this will only be in the next release. Sorry. Or I can send you the relevant files, if you like.
For buying a new ship, try a starbase that is orbiting earth, or jupiter station. However, at the moment, you can there only buy Excelsior, Defiant, Galaxy and Akira. I am changing this so that in normal starbases, you get small and older craft and at utopia planitia you get the top notch models, but, only in next release. Cargo should be at most planet classes, sol system is an exception as they are not included in the normal planet classes. Fly to another system and land at planets like a class, b class etc. and you will find cargo. Or go to a station.
With utopia planitia, i`ll check that, maybe the docking rectangle is missing.
BTW, do you have a star trek uniform ? I am still looking for pics of people in uniforms to exchange the pics for communication. It is a bit disturbing when the romulan that insults you looks like a kilrathi :-)
Sorry that so much stuff is incomplete, but we have been only 2 (tillias and me) for 2 years and now i am almost alone (with some help of dilloh and ace123).
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

esgaroth wrote: In the faction_ships.xml, there is a list with all ship classes and some variables like chance to hit, chance to dodge etc. Dont know for what they are good and at the moment their values are rather random. You can try to modify the values there with a simple text editor and see whether this makes a difference (I would be interested in the results....).
I'm assuming you mean faction_ships.py
Those values are for the FG level (dynamic universe) resolution of battles in other star systems.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Yepp, thats what i meant. Thanx for the info.
BTW, do you know how to change this "fish-eye" problem mentioned above ?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

esgaroth wrote:Yepp, thats what i meant. Thanx for the info.
BTW, do you know how to change this "fish-eye" problem mentioned above ?
I'd have to look into it more to say anything concrete -- what were the FOV and aspect ratio config variables set to? You do get some odd graphical effects as you approach 180 degree vision, but the defaults should be set much lower than that.
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Well, Esgaroth, I don't know which pack it is, as I just use what can be downoaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/platform ... _id=191689.
Now to what jackS said: Now he said it, yes, I think that could be the field of view. Where can I find the value? A much narrower FOV would make the game also quite a bit quicker. In FlightGear (open source flight simulator) I have the possibility to chang the FOV, and the difference in speed is remarkable even with small changes, e.g. from 60 degrees to 50 degrees. And now jackS said it, it does look a bit odd, if you choose e.g. 120 degrees.

Now another question: How (un)detailed should the models be? E.g. every window really a transparent surface with 'active' light, or only a window painted on the texture? I attach a rendered image of a model I made some time ago, when I just began with Blender. It's rather a phantasy base than a real class. I made it as a graphic for a story about a small scientific station called "Aslan". Oh, and I am aware that bases aren't yellow normally ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ferengi not liking money
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is a FOV variable in the vegasrike.config file the interior of bases can also have a separate FOV that i believe is controlled by the python script that generates it. Oh and Quork Q'Tar feel free to start an other thread for each model makes things easer to find :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

Sorry -.- It some time ago since I used a forum last... I'm more IRC-oriented ;-). But I didn't post the Aslan as a model itself, only to show that I'm able to use Blender. (And that the effects aren't of world ligue class. Yet.)
Oh, and, Loki, where can I find the FOV values?
Ferengi not liking money