Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

maxdb82
Explorer
Explorer

Problems running version 0.3.0

Post by maxdb82 »

Hy,
I'm new to this forum but I'm truly not new to the Star Trek phenomenon (seen all that can be see) and space oriented computer games...
I've read carefully the topics of this VegaTrek and I enjoied thinking of a space-sim game like X2: the thread (one of my favourites) applied to the amazing universe of Star Trek.

So I've downloaded the game versions 0.2.0 and 0.3.0.

With the 0.2.0 there was only a very few ships and the gameplay was sometimes difficult to assimilate.
With the 0.3.0 the ships are very well designed (that sovereign class starship is awesome Razz) and balanced and covers all the true 'era' of ST (a similar purpose to the upcoming game by Bethesda, ST:Legacy...). You all have my greatest appreciation for the well done work!!!

However I have this couple of malfunction when playing 0.3.0 that were not in 0.2.0...
1) when I start a new game/mission the game starts in a window an I cannot play it on fullscreen... :x
2) the setup.exe does not start at all... :?

I've windows XP on a PC with 512MB ram, 2400~MHz, 128MB video card (ATI Radeon 9200), I hope someone could help me to enjoy the full potential of this grat project!
If it can be of any use I'll post stderr & stdout log files...

Bye!

PS: (does not matter at all) have you seen this?
--> :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6RzZo--Zs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do you know the one -- "All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by ..." You could feel the wind at your back, about you ... the sounds of the sea beneath you. And even if you take away the wind and the water, it's still the same.
The ship is yours ... you can feel her ... and the stars are still there.
---
James Tiberius Kirk, stardate 4729.4
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Developers version has no installation utility at all... Only thing you need -- unpack asrchive wherever you want and launch vegastrike.exe file from:

Code: Select all

/vegatrek/bin/ 
directory.

As for fullscreen mode:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... te&p=66354
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

I've windows XP on a PC with 512MB ram, 2400~MHz, 128MB video card (ATI Radeon 9200), I hope someone could help me to enjoy the full potential of this grat project!
I have very similar configuration, so what you see is good for our machines ;-))))

Back to fullscreen mode -- you can switch to it by default by startup, by editing vegastrike.config in root VT ( VegaTrek ) directory...
Perhaps those lines will help:

Code: Select all

<!-- #win_16
			<var name="colordepth" value="16"/>
     	       		<var name="zfar" value="80000"/>
			<var name="fullscreen" value="false"/>

#end -->
<!-- #win_32
			<var name="colordepth" value="32"/>
			<var name="zfar" value="600000"/>
			<var name="fullscreen" value="false"/>

#end -->
<!-- #full_16
			<var name="colordepth" value="16"/>
        	       	<var name="zfar" value="80000"/>
			<var name="fullscreen" value="true"/>

#end -->
<!-- #full_32 -->
			<var name="colordepth" value="32"/>
			<var name="zfar" value="600000"/>
			<var name="fullscreen" value="true"/>
<!-- #end -->
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Play with fullsecreen=true option and post here results please...
Since I'm Linux user ( have no Windows installation at all... ) -- I have no chance to test...

If everything will be fine, I'll prepare small patch immdeiately
God bless you!
maxdb82
Explorer
Explorer

Post by maxdb82 »

Thanks, I'll try this out as soon as possible. Besides, the 'setup.exe' I referred to was not the installation launcher, but the utility to set the video options/mouse controls/color depth/etc. (like in VegaStrike), that is located also in VegaTrek-0.3.0/bin/.
That file doesn't start at all (the DOS prompt pops out for a second but no process is started).
However this is a small problem 'cause all options can be set via the .config file... :)

Bye!
Do you know the one -- "All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by ..." You could feel the wind at your back, about you ... the sounds of the sea beneath you. And even if you take away the wind and the water, it's still the same.
The ship is yours ... you can feel her ... and the stars are still there.
---
James Tiberius Kirk, stardate 4729.4
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobthe2lol »

you are saying there is an install.exe for VT? if so please link me to the version that has it.
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

Post by bobthe2lol »

oh! i just looked at the vega treck download and it says 2.0! i can't find 3.0 if you havve it please attatch it.
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn