A little Confusion

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

A little Confusion

Post by bassmannate »

Hello everyone. I'm just a little confused over what the official release is of this mod and where I can download it. Looks like fun and I would love to try it out.
Full Metal Jackass
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Full Metal Jackass »

I believe the developer's version is the current one (just check the two top "announcements" in the main Trek Universe page)
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Ok. I downloaded that and couldn't get it to run.

Code: Select all

bassmannate@bassmannate-laptop:~/VegaTrek-0.3.0/bin$ ./vegastrike
Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ..
Using /home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0 as data directory
Using .vegatrek as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/bassmannate/.vegatrek As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : /home/bassmannate/.vegatrek/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : /home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/vegastrike.config
WARNING: color orange not defined, using default (white)
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.06
MISSION_NAME is empty using : The_Duel.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/modules/builtin/",r"/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/modules/",r"/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/bases/"]
['/usr/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.4', '/usr/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/HTMLgen', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cairo', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gst-0.10', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/modules/builtin/', '/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/modules/', '/home/bassmannate/VegaTrek-0.3.0/bases/']
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Couldn't initialize SDL: No I/O port permissionsbassmannate@bassmannate-laptop:~/VegaTrek-0.3.0/bin$
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

This is a common issue with the VS engine or some libraries on some linux systems. We still don't know what causes it and are cuurently hintuing that bug.
Here is the workaround: Before launching the vegastrike executable issue the command:

Code: Select all

xhost +local:
But be carefull, this gives anyone on your computer access to your x-session. That's not a problem unless other people remotely log in to your system.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Zeog wrote:But be carefull, this gives anyone on your computer access to your x-session. That's not a problem unless other people remotely log in to your system.
If you are working on "home" machine you can simply add this line into your ~/.xinitrc file and forget about problem.
I suppose security on "home" machine isn't big trouble ;-)
God bless you!
bassmannate
Merchant
Merchant

Post by bassmannate »

Good deal. It's not a huge issue, but when I'm done playing, how to I kill that whole thing that lets anyone into my x-session?