Windows:
VegaTrek-0.3.0 187Mb
MD5Sum: b9a4588e1a2a0c11570dcb4d34cf73aa

Linux:
VSEngine-0.4.3 5,5Mb
MD5Sum: a516581539ae0c4190cc1a5bbf6c1234
VegaTrek-0.3.0 187M
MD5Sum: b9a4588e1a2a0c11570dcb4d34cf73aa

1. This game isn't arcade, this is very detalized simulator. You can't play it if you don't know all it's keybindings. Look here for details

----
Description: testing version.
Goals: make balanced ship packs
Additional goals: add a few extra ships for each race + Borg race for final release
Last edited by tillias on Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Ok, here is latest testing VegaTrek version. There is included engine, all starships from "Shiplist" topic and duel missions for each starship. On this small step I want to make well balanced ship packs. After that I will work over other points from "Goals/Status" post.

Let it be I'll show engine of VegaStrike and how it works if applied to StarTrek Universe and will continue working. And if someone will get interested... At least he will have files to help me with ;-)
Last edited by tillias on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Steps to install:

Windows users
1. Unpack ( e.g. C:\VegaTrek) with WinRar, 7-zip or whatever you want.
2. Open Far Manager or TotalCommander ( or whatever you want, you just need console )
3. Go to C:\VegaTrek\bin directory
4. type in command-promt:
vegastrike.exe defiant.mission
( for other ships you can look through VegaTrek\mission\ folder )

Linux users
Note: If compared to windows ones, we need to compile "vegastrike" binary manually.
1. Compile VegaStrike binary:
untar Engine package
bootstrap-sh
./configure
make

2. Copy vegastrike binary to VegaTrek/bin directory

3. cd VegaTrek/bin

4. ./vegastrike [name].mission
where you can choose "name" from VegaTrek/mission folder.
Last edited by tillias on Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God bless you!
firestarter
Merchant
Merchant

Post by firestarter »

oh yes! :D thankyou tillias your the greatest!

p.s:well done on your 100th post
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

will down load tomorrow, off to ebd. its 2 a.m :)
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Cruis.In wrote:will down load tomorrow, off to ebd. its 2 a.m :)
Just keep in mind that this isn't release. This is basic ship pack. Personally I want to call it something like big StarTrek encyclopedia.
All Trek fans dream on to "touch" ships, look how they fire. Look how their systems are working. E.g. feel starships.

I want to give them this feeling.

After that I will add some civil vessels. StarBases and Defensive platforms.

On this point first step will be done. We will have created basic elements. And everyone will be able to use those elements in "constructor" called "MISSON CREATING" -- main goal of VegaTrek project.

Keep on watching this forum. I will post here some information about urgent goals and how to help with them in the easiest way.
God bless you!
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Im not Worthy! :lol:

To help further test out the combat, perhaps you can add constantly warping in ships. you can probably modify the mission file and post it directly to the site so people don’t have to download it again.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

mkruer wrote:Im not Worthy! :lol:

To help further test out the combat, perhaps you can add constantly warping in ships. you can probably modify the mission file and post it directly to the site so people don’t have to download it again.
There is Duel mission for each testing starship already. They are in ../mission folder.
I will be away for 3 days from here -- real life calls. I will post how to work with units.csv and weapon_list.xml files in order to teach testers how to modify ships/weapons stats in game.
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

mkruer wrote:perhaps you can add constantly warping in ships.
Well Warping is another big discussion. It depends on impulse speed which is multiplied on some constant.
Impulse speed in its turn depends on mass of starship.

For now maximum impulse speed which looks good is about 40-50 units. But it is too small to avoid bolts even with good skills in manuevering. ( There is good explanation about this fact in "Galaxy Hull/Armor" topic ).

The only reason to fix this I see -- get final table of all ships dimmensions. Then increase their scale parameter by some constant value. And after that increase impulse speeds. Though I guess this won't be a solution -- if size of ship is increased, then it would be easier to aim him. Such a "death circle" :)

So if we simply have no solution about impulse speed, how we can talk about Warping? :-D

((2mkruer:
What is really good, that we finally decided with klauss how shields/armor/hull are corresponded with each other in "Galaxy..." topic ))

For testers it would be better to start testing ship mission, engage Warp with 'A' key and reach enemy. After that test how new/modified weapons work, how ship works and other stuff. To increase warp speed it will be also useful to press "Tab" key in order to get "Max Impulse Speed" ( simulatet by afterburner effect ).
God bless you!
Angel Of Time
Trader
Trader

Post by Angel Of Time »

Remember that one eppy of TNG where they found some life form that could live in space that was giving birth and they cut it open and the baby leeched to their hull and started draining power! need to get some of those good work so far :)
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

hey i startd the defiant mission, two bird of prey fly past me in the beginning then nothing after that, cant find them or anyone else to target. when i double click the vega trek exe it starts with me as a sovereign and another wingman and I have an enemy to fight.

great stuff so far. nice trek feel.

things your doing right

1) phasers reach out like the show ( well done :)

I notice the models stutter a bit when i am turning when I have it on a following view. the frame rate stays good but the model itself stutters.

my suggestion would be to continue as you are going, develop a fully working balanced combat trek simulation, then move onto developing the universe.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I think the Defiant is a little over powering, Maybe if the power was half what it is now, it would be better.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Ok, here we go!
I will wait one week ( 7 days ) while all interested people will download VegaTrek package. Learn hotkeys by heart. ( Escpecially camera, targeting, changing weapons and speed ).

After 7 days off we will start playbalancing, making really dynamical universe.
Big process almost started. And in these 7 days we will prepare some important suggestions in core VegaTrek Team, future course, all needed How-To's, information, screenshots.

Big process and rapid progress almost started... 7 days!
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Just one more thing. If someone have concept picture or 3d model of StarTrek Impulse Engine, Deflector Array, Armor Plate or Main Reactor I will be more then happy to show people how to make those things visible in game as upgrades.

For now I will work with my own Main Reactor model ( Blender file, not textured and have no time to do this ) as with example for "Importing your own upgrades to VegaTrek" How-To
God bless you!
firestarter
Merchant
Merchant

Post by firestarter »

mkruer wrote:I think the Defiant is a little over powering, Maybe if the power was half what it is now, it would be better.
the defient is meant to be overpowering, in the tv series it was a hugely powerful ship, it was meant for taking on the borg afterall :P
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

firestarter wrote:
mkruer wrote:I think the Defiant is a little over powering, Maybe if the power was half what it is now, it would be better.
the defient is meant to be overpowering, in the tv series it was a hugely powerful ship, it was meant for taking on the borg afterall :P
Well, I made his weapons exactly how we saw them in DS9 "The Way Of the Warrior" and DS9 "Shattered mirror". Just make sure, that Klingon BOP is very very weak starship :-)
God bless you!
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Well, I will simply make Defiant high-cost ship for purchasing. And precious upgrades for this ship will fix this "overpowered" moment :-D
God bless you!
klyick
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Wow.

Post by klyick »

I've been looking for a OSS project to contribute to for some time. I believe this is one I could really get behind. Let me know what I can do to help move things along.

-Klyick
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Re: Wow.

Post by tillias »

klyick wrote:I've been looking for a OSS project to contribute to for some time. I believe this is one I could really get behind. Let me know what I can do to help move things along.

-Klyick
Just keep patience and visit this forum time after time. I'm almost finished with "How-To:Mounting Weapons" and working hard on creating documentation for VegaTrek.
God bless you!
Spockinator
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Spockinator »

Is there a Mac port yet? If not how long til there is one?
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Spockinator wrote:Is there a Mac port yet? If not how long til there is one?
I don't know anything about Mac's... But since VegaStrike can be ported to Mac then VegaTrek might be ported too :-[

Well, I suppose we should make release version from Developer's one. Only after that all ports.
God bless you!
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

tillias i replied to your private msg. i also emailed the sounds you wanted to your gmail.

also appreciate if you sent them back, i since formatted my hard drive and forgot to transfer my backed up folder to my laptop. :)
Spockinator
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Spockinator »

oh well. I will be getting a macbook soon so Ill wait.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Roll all!
Need speculations here due to urgent patch!

link
God bless you!
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

hey, i asked you also for instructions on how to edit vega strike, so i can help modify certain things to make the universe transition to a star trek universe a faster process.