Multimode weapons poll

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Multimode weapons poll

Post by tillias »

Hi all!

We have seen many times ( "First contact" -- Sovereign firing to Borg Cube or screenshot bellow )

that FedShips can use very short, concentrated MegaBlast shoot. I guess this should do a huge damage ( though it will punish you energy capacitor in a seconds :)

Those things make me doing multimode weapons in VegaTrek. E.g. you can use phasers in "normal" mode -- medium damage, small energy consumtion, phaser banks idea working etc.
Or you can switch in "MegaBurst" mode -- short impulse with huge damaging effect and very very HIGH energy consumption.

This way I fixed Vor'Cha weapons -- it uses beam ( look at "Torpedoes poll" topic for screenshots ) in "normal" mode. But if you need extra damage in small time you can swicth do "Disruptors" mode. In this mode you will be allowed to use only forward Vor'Cha disruptors. They do huge damage, it takes a lot of energy etc.

Is this a good idea? Any futher suggestions?
Last edited by tillias on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
God bless you!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, very good idea.
Phaser banks have documented flexibility in many aspects, power control is one of them, beam dispersion and frequency the other. It wouldn't take a leap of imagination to get to "multimode" in fed ships.

In klingon ships... I'd limit it to a few types - those that have been seen on the shows to have both kinds of weapons firing modes. Like the vor'cha.

Remember the official name of "megablast" in some so-capable ships: pulse phasers. Like the defiant (yes, that's a separate kind of weapon, but awfully close in operating principle - so you could call mega-blast pseudo-pulso or something like that).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

klauss wrote:Yes, very good idea.
Phaser banks have documented flexibility in many aspects, power control is one of them, beam dispersion and frequency the other. It wouldn't take a leap of imagination to get to "multimode" in fed ships.

In klingon ships... I'd limit it to a few types - those that have been seen on the shows to have both kinds of weapons firing modes. Like the vor'cha.

Remember the official name of "megablast" in some so-capable ships: pulse phasers. Like the defiant (yes, that's a separate kind of weapon, but awfully close in operating principle - so you could call mega-blast pseudo-pulso or something like that).
This is very easy to do ( if you already have weapons for normal mode :), but I'm very short in "groups". Acutally there are only two groups: normal mode and special weapons ( switching by 'g' key ). So I made two kind of phasers:
<Beam name="Phaser X" mountsize="heavy"> <!-- Galaxy !-->
<Beam name="Phaser XS" mountsize="special"> <!-- Galaxy High Output mode !-->

Then I made duplicate of all 56 Galaxy phasers ( all of them connected only in few banks ) and chaged phaser type to XS and mountsize to special.
Now you have two modes of all Galaxy phasers :) Press 'g' and all banks are in "extra damage mode"... Like "rail-gun" in q3 while you are using "quad damage" :)

But if it will be possible to do... I need more groups for XL, X, XS ( light damage and rapid refire, normal damage, extra damage and empty primary capacitor in seconds :)
The same story with torpedoes. Burst mode/Normal mode etc... Though it will require division of weapons to types, and switching modes for each type separately. And this is phantastics!
God bless you!