Star Pilot

Post by FrozenIceman »

Found a place here

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/

another library

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/l ... index.html

Romulan Ale

http://www.wilderzone.net/celeste/archives/romulan.jpg

another one, don't know how food, and medice works...

http://www.fednet-ufp.net/encyclopedia/ ... x.php?pg=s

A few sites, I'll try to find some more or get some pictures from the electronic library.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

One of the things we have to care about is not only to find a pic somewhere in the net but also to obtain the permission of the copyright owner. But that permission usually can be obtained (although I have a lot of requests unanswered and therefore cannot use the pics).
Another question: what kinds of devices/upgrades etc. do we need ?
Type V and X phasers OK, but for example how much different reactor types do we need ? I guess a galaxy class wont use the same M/AM reactor as a runabout ? The same of course for shield reactors, impulse engines and their upgrades.
One can maybe start with one reactor type for small craft (shuttles to runabout class), one for medium sized ships (defiant maybe up to akira) and one for large vessels with one or two upgrades for each of them. Same for impulse engines and shield reactors. Should there be different reactor/engine/shield types for the diferent races ?
Opinions/Suggestions ?
FrozenIceman
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by FrozenIceman »

Here is a list of components that Star Ship Creater used, it may give us a basis for ideas From not as good to better

-Intrepid class Vessel

Impulse Engines

Impulse Class A
Impulse Class A10
Impulse Class A12

Warp Drive

Warp Drive Class 7
Warp Drive Class 13
Warp Drive Class K

Matter AntiMatter Reactor

Warp Reactor Class 7
Warp Reactor Class 11

Fusion Engine

4gw
7gw
10gw

-Miranda Class

Impulse Engines

Impulse Class C
Impulse Class A8

Warp Drive

Warp Drive Class 2
Warp Drive Class 13

Warp Reactor A
Warp Reactor 7
Warp Reactor 9

Fusion Engine

1 gw
4 gw
7 gw

-Sovereign

Impulse Engines

Class A10
Class A12

Warp Drive

Class 7
Class 13

Class 7
Class 9
Class 11

Fusion Engine

4gw
7gw
10gw

-Consititution

Impulse Engine

Class C
Class A8

Warp Drive

Class 7
Class 13

Matter AnitMatter Reactor

Class A
Class 7
Class 9

Fusion Engine

1gw
4gw
10gw

-Defiant

Impulse Engine

Class A
Class A10

Warp Drive

Class 7
Class 13

Matter Antimatter Reactor

class 7
class 9

Fusion Engine

4gw
7gw

-Excelsior

Impulse Engine

Class C
Class A
Class A8

Warp Drive

Class 2
Class 13
Class K

Class 7
Class 9
Class 11

Fusion Engine

1gw
7gw
10gw

-Galaxy

Impulse Engine

Class A
Class A10

Warp Drive

Class 2
Class 13

Class 7
Class 9

Fusion Engine

1gw
4gw
7gw
10gw
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hmm....doesnt look too consistent for me. Maybe we can start with something like the following.

Impulse engines:
Small craft: Class D, Upgrades D6 and D8 (or another number)
Medium sized vessels: Class C, Class A
Large Vessels: Class A, Upgrades to A8, A10 and A12

Warp Drive:
Small craft (Runabout etc): Class 1
Medium sized vessels: Class 2, upgrade to class 7
Large vessels: Class 7, upgrade to classes 13 and 15

M/AM reactor:
Small craft: Class 1, upgrade to 2
Medium: Class 5, upgrade to 7
Large: Class 7, 9 and 11

Fusion reactor:
Small: 10 gw, 9 gw
Medium: 7gw, 5gw
Large 4gw, 2gw

However, the simple class system sounds not very impressive.....
taku42
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by taku42 »

I can't believe nobody has mentioned self-sealing stem bolts...

(going offtopic of the last couple posts...)
I'm pretty sure that I've heard a reference to "Federation credits" during an episode, and somehow Sisko and Co. had to get some latinum to pay Quark for drinks, holosuite time, etc.
Somehow cargo transporting had to be profitable. The Enterprise D ran across a good number of exploding cargo ships, and Yates from DS9 had herself a cargo ship.
Another idea for cargo ships is a war... transporting supplies to the front lines where they don't have replicators (IE Chin'Toka from DS9)
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

trading again

Post by esgaroth »

Some new thoughts to a trading system.
The old discussion was mostly about the problem that energy is dirt cheap in the star trek universe and, as replication is a energy-matter-conversion, almost all things will be replicated and therefore there will be only limited trade. However, I think this is not really true.
The replication of, lets say 200 ml of hot earl-grey tea, needs an immense amount of energy. This energy is created by matter-antimatter reactors. So we need 100 g of matter and 100 g of antimatter to produce the energy for 200 g of tea (for simplicity we use an conversion efficiency of 100% which is of course impossible). As antimatter isnt just laying around everywhere, has to be transported and stored under very cautious and secure conditions (energy fields, etc.) I think it will still be way more efficient and cheaper to produce most stuff the conventional way. At least this will be the case on most planets and nearby stations. Without this assumption, Quark would have a hard time running a bar, because noone would pay for a drink or a meal if he could just replicate the same stuff 2 doors further.
But why do we see the crew of the Enterprise (or Voyager) using the replicator even for simple stuff ? Well, because long-range spaceships are the one notable exception to the above-mentioned situation. On a spaceship on long missions maybe 100 light years away from the next supply depot (or a station far off the routes) it would be almost impossible to store all those 50000 spare parts, special foodstuffs, clothes and so on so that it is easier on those spacecraft to store only 2 things: matter and antimatter so that anything that is needed can be replicated (this limits storage to those 2 things and everything else that cannot be replicated). The costs are secondary in this special case. I think that even on ships on trading routes from one planet to another replicators will only be used for important stuff (spare parts for repair, emergency stuff) and not for tea or coffee, because this ships are always in range of supplies and will land every few days on inhabitated planets where they can resupply everything they need.
Therefore, I think we can use a fairly „conventional“ trading system for our star trek universe with some generic stuff (e.g. steel will be used and needed by all races) and species-specific stuff. Unreplicatable stuff simply will be quite expensive, because even in emergencies it cant be replicated and has to be stored.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Well tea isn't good example actually. But it works, it sounds anyhow :)

Just more interesting example. we know that Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune are gas giants... They are located in Sol system... Speeds are fast...

Why then I need to replicate some gas ( like methan or argon ) if I can simply borrow it from those planets without any troubles?

What makes me wrong to build orbital station near Uranus and borrow gases and minerals from it? I suppose it's much cheaper to travel on cargo ship ( even on impulse speed ) from Uranus to Earth in order to process gases into something new. And of course the most important... This makes game looking realistic... Tons of orbital station, cargo freighters... All they need defense... Pirates... Some old station on far deep border of falaxy... And some very unique specific mssion you can get from that base... Or some unique upgrade you can get there, because station is very near of some specific/rare planet...

Does it make any sense?
God bless you!
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Hi tillias,
I just posted this because in the initial discussion tenor was that energy simply costs nothing and therefore replicating things also costs nothing.... and this cannot be true. And of course therefore gaining gas from gas giants, mining ore from iron-nickel asteroids etc. makes sense and, in addition, makes the universe more colourful.
tillias
Black Hole Hunter

Post by tillias »

Well, I just wanted to say that I want to make border between cargos ( goods ) and resources.

E.g. between trading system and mining one. We have cargo feighters and trading ships. Why not to make this border, separate those spherese from each other and make life for players easy and fun?

What do you think?

Also make sure that we have people... Yes trading people ( slaves from Orion ) isn't good... But some tourists in Sol system... Prisoners that are being transported to some far dark colony ( Let it be Quere'Pente -- not sure about correct writing though :) ). Some courier missions across galaxy on special ships... Damn whole life will be here. Just lot of time will be passed until we make it working correctly.
God bless you!