Problems that need solving

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

Daemonzi

Post by Daemonzi »

This may be of some factual StarTrek use but not of much game use but...
The dots of light you see during warp arn't star systems as at warp speed it takes 5 mins to cross 1 galexy (milkyway size)
Any ships can use a stable wormhole, but these are rare, but cover graet distances like 1/4 of the universe.
Transwarp drives can be used (very very expensive and unsafe but instantanious) and work by creating a temporary wormhole for a short amount of time, (other ships can sneak in it to while its open). And slipstream drives are less expensive but just make you go very fast (makes a "wave" of energy behind the starship and you "surf" the wave.)
Ill post some exact speeds and stuff, when my internet gets reestablished to my comp and i can acsess my StarTrek encyclopedia (very sad i know).
Jennos
Trader
Trader

Post by Jennos »

5 mins to cross a galaxy? If this were true then Voyager would never have happened. You might want to check your figures, buddy.
Just another pilot...
Nevita
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Nevita »

He might mean that if you were actually going fast enough that the stars streaked like you see in Star Trek, you would be going fast enough to cross the galaxy in five minutes. I think that I've done that calculation once (because I'm a geek. Leave me alone! :oops: ) and the five minutes figure sounds about right.
A quick summary of my graduate research: walk into wall, back up a step, repeat.
Jennos
Trader
Trader

Post by Jennos »

Got it. That's what I thought, but I was just checking. And I have nothing against geeks.
Just another pilot...
Daemonzi
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Daemonzi »

woops, sorry, :oops: i ment solar systems, our size.
JmasterJ

hey

Post by JmasterJ »

this is all a moot poiint now as on the main page for vega strike they are implementing "warp" speed.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Well, kinda. We're definitely going to be using the 'spec' warp-drive thingie from Vega Strike as the in-system warp in Vega Trek. but SPEC doesn't do us any help in terms of interstellar travel.