Installation on ubuntu

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Installation on ubuntu

Post by esgaroth »

Recently, Jean-Luc icard reported problems with the installation on ubunto as well as white space backgrounds. The problems meanwhile have been solved, but as there might pass some time until a new release here is the link for linux users to the thread:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1442
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Installation on ubuntu

Post by AVBJim »

I am also using Ubuntu and have read that thread. I think the problem you have ran into involves the coding of the images (and video if any). The problem is that Windows uses many proprietary codings. These codings are not available for free, i.e., whoever wrote the viewers that use them either own the code, paid to get it or are using it until the licence holder, usually MicorSoft, decides you have impacted their profits enough and decides to sue you out of business. Ubuntu and Linux in general only comes with "free" software, those licensed under the GNU Public Licence (GPL). Linux users do have the option of downloading and installing the libraries for "non-free" coding in order to run them. These "non-free" libraries are only available for formats that someone has cracked the coding or the coding was available, but proprietary anyway, and written a hack to use them, thus not all are available under Linux. To increase portability and decrease duplicate programming, it is best to use formats that covered under the GPL. These formats will then be available to all users, regardless of OS. If you look at VS, it uses .png for images and .ogg for sound and ports to Windows, Linux, Mac and other OSs without much trouble.

I only recently looked at installing VegaTrek. I will wait for the update that uses the VS 0.5 engine and then will attempt install.
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: Installation on ubuntu

Post by esgaroth »

Well, thats probably true, but the jpeg format we are occasionally using is also free, afaik.Nevertheless, thanx for the info. BTW, at least the win version uses the 0.5.0 engine... and if youre using ubuntu, you should be able to compile the newest engine possible from the svn repo...