Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Vega Trek 0.2.0 released!

Post by peteyg »

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=52085

It's a 32 megabyte or so Windows install. If it doesn't work right out of the folder, or you're running on a non-Windows platform (more power to you), just copy it over your existing Vega Strike installation.

Thanks to all who helped out on this. Especially Hellcatv, Flying Ace, and Pontiac.

EDIT: Here's the Vega Trek webpage: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/vegatrek/
Last edited by peteyg on Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

KernelBurner wrote:PeteyG ur mod rox.... but i am very newbie to VS soo i cant understand hjow can i see when i can shoot again... dunno where the shootin energy...
Starfleet phasers fire for 2 seconds, with like a 14 second recharge time. Kinda long, but it's for the best. It forces you to use multiple firing arcs to maximize your damage, which means maneuvering for a good position, which equals fun and excitement.

I think an awesome HUD feature, and NOT just for Vega Trek, would be to have indicator bars for your guns. When you fire them, they go to zero, and as they cool off, the bar slowly fills back up to full. When it hits full, you can fire them again! That would be awesome.

Glad you're enjoying it!
KernelBurner
Merchant
Merchant

Post by KernelBurner »

Whats an Arc?

PS: if u need help with basic modeling ask :)
"Ignorance is the holy path to happiness"
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Well, phasers and disruptors are all autotracking weapons. They've got a certain cone they fire in (like a small 25 degree cone, or a huge 90+ degree one). Some of the weapons (i guess only on the Akira and Galaxy really) point in different directions, but have limited cones so they can't all fire at once.

Modeling help would be great! I've got a laundry list of models we'll eventually need somewhere... at this point, anything we don't have right now would be welcome. But I'll rattle off a few suggestions you might want to try out.

-Saber class starship
-Excelsior class starship
-A Federation starbase (mine sucks WAY too much ass).
-A Danube class runabout
-Cardassian ships (Galor class, Keldon class, etc)
-Jem'hadar / Dominion ships
-Ships that are VERY Klingon-ish or Romulan-ish
-Antares class freighter

Now that we've got a combat simulator on our hands (though it and the ships will need refining), the next step is to start to add Vega Strike's dynamic universe goodness to Vega Trek. and that means models like space stations and freighters.

So if you want to tackle some of those, that would be great! I'd love it if you sent me screenshots of your progress.
KernelBurner
Merchant
Merchant

Post by KernelBurner »

where can i see some descriptions of those classes? or imgs.
"Ignorance is the holy path to happiness"
Lazypete
Trader
Trader

Post by Lazypete »

Here are some question.

If I install Vega Trek, will I still be able to play VegaStrike?
Or these two games are seperated?

What are the main difference with VegaStrike & Vega Trek in terms of gameplay ?
At first they will ignore you,
then they will laugh at you,
then they will fight you,
then you will win.
Mandrake
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Mandrake »

I can't seem to make vega trek work on my mac! :(
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Kernelburner: Check out the links paeg of the vegatrek webpage I put in the first thread. That should hook you up.

Lazypete: There's some kind of funtion in Vegastrike for having separate universes coexist side-by-side, but I haven't bothered. You'll need to install Vegastrike in a separate folder, and copy Vega Trek over it in order to have BOTH Vega Trek and Vega Strike. Hopefully this will be corrected in later versions.

The big difference between Vega Strike and Vega Trek is like the difference between Wing Commander battles and Star Trek battles. It's a different style. Vega Trek is slower, slightly more thoughtful in its combat. Starships are pretty much very fast and maneuverable capital ships (though still less than fighters). It's kind of difficult to explain. But it's fun! : D

Mandrake: The 30 megabyte download includes the Windows executable. But just copy the Vega Trek files over an existing installation of Vega Strike (you may want to install it again into a new folder so you don't lose your current one), and you should be fine.
Mandrake
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Mandrake »

I replaced the items in the "data" directory with the Vega Trek files, and the splash screen comes up when i start Vega Strike, but it crashes halfway into loading everything.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I would try to copy EVERYTHING but the executables.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Mandrake wrote:I replaced the items in the "data" directory with the Vega Trek files, and the splash screen comes up when i start Vega Strike, but it crashes halfway into loading everything.
What do stderr.txt and stdout.txt have to say about this?
Surfdargent
Developer
Developer

Post by Surfdargent »

PeteyG : would it be possible for you to make a zip containing only files you modified from the standard data set ?
Or are there only modified file in the VegaTrek 0.2.0 zip already ?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

The 30 megabyte download includes everything you need to play Vega Trek if you're running a Windows machine. So it includes junk like planet textures and backgrounds, and stuff like that.

I will do up an altered files only package tomorrow night. That ought to be quite a few megabytes smaller.
JaseP
Merchant
Merchant

Post by JaseP »

So to install on Linux, I just copy everything but the EXEs to an existing Linux installation???
SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional Edition User
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Yes, theoretically. There is a slight problem with name capitalization that I have to correct with the units before it will work smoothly on Linux filesystems.

According to Hellcatv, it will run fine if you are running it off a fat32 partition.
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

vega trek

Post by Cruis.In »

hey i love vega strike and its potential. very nice engine and game.
i also like this star trek mod its fun. thanks for creating it,

a few problems i have had, sound...music plays fine, but i hardly ever hear phasers or torpedoes.

i run a i8200 laptop 1.7ghz 256 ram, onboard wdm crystal audio card, that plays all other music for my games fine so i doubt theres a problem there. but i noted that because i noticed the eax program that installed, should i uninstall it? or is it absolutely neccessary to hear sound in the game?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Interesting, I run a Dell inspiron 8200 laptop as well.

Thanks for the kind words about Vega Trek.

I have noticed phasers and photon torpedo sounds not being there from time to time actually. I'm not entirely sure what causes this.

Make sure you have OpenAL installed. And make sure you have the proper things selected in the setup program.

Pretty much I've got no clue. But if you're hearing sounds at least occaisionally, it's not completely not working.
Cruis.In
Trader
Trader

Post by Cruis.In »

thanks for the reply...im curious i see this thread is vega trek 0.2.0 is this the current one up for download on your site or am i one version behind? i downloaded it 3 days ago. so im current right?

if you are able to complete everything that you hope you can, to me i think this would be the first star trek themed open ended game.

at the risk of making this sound wish listy hehe, i see in the other long 7 page thread that you have been wondering how to do phasers...just like to add input on that.

first ill ask what can you do? in terms of the interface, can you make it so the phaser and torpedoes display a recharge time? that would be nice.
i guess you are limited how you can mod the actual engine, but is it possible to put in starship mechanics such as being able to redirect shields and so on?

more later work now.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

You are indeed current with 0.2.0. 0.3.0 is a ways off yet. We still have to accumulate a large number of models to flesh out a dynamic universe, and we've got a lot of writing to do.

Little recharge bars on the weapons is something that I plan on requesting for regular Vega Strike. Partially so that it will be in Vega Trek, but also because it would be a great feature to have in general.

Shield redirection and energy management are something that we would also like for Vega Trek... hopefully they will get implemented in the future.
slundal
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

My vegatrek won't work =(

Post by slundal »

I have an eMac
G4 700 mhz
Mac OSX 10.2.8
RAM 384 MB
X11 installed

Every time i try to start Vegatrek the screen goes black for a few seconds then I get an error message telling me that VeagTrek has unexpectedly quit.
I've tried the VegaTrek setup.....but it'll only jump up and down on my dock and then dissapear. I've also tried starting it with VegaStrike "installed" (I don't exactly call copying the game down to the harddrive installing it.) and also wihtout having it on my harddrive.

Help !!!
/slundal
Hey!.... Shit happens, so don't blame me !!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

hmmm

Post by hellcatv »

Make sure X11 is *running* before you click setup
try running xterm on a console :-)
anyhow I I know the problem you are having--it's specific to the eMac for some reason
you need to turn off fullscreen to play
there's an easy fix
in the console.app you can type
open ~/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config

if that doesn't work, then
***Begin Complicated INstructions***
open VegaStrike0.4.1.app/Contents/Resources/data/vegastrike.config
or in the GUI you can cntrl-click on vegastrike 0.4.1.app
then click "view contents"
contents
resources
data
open vegastrike.config
***end complicated instructions***
either way:
find all instances of fullscreen
change all 4 values to false (2 should be false already)
then run again--it will work
:-) sorry bout this...but most people love fullscreen so we started it by default, figuring that those people who it doesn't work will install X11 and run it before running setup
Thoth

More emac problems

Post by Thoth »

I have a problem similar to the last one. I'm running VT on an eMac, but I knew about the fullscreen problem from playing regular VegaStrike. I have the same difficulty with the setup app though, except that I have X11 and have it running when i try to open VT Setup. All it does is bounce in the dock once and disappear.
I assume this relates to my other problem, which is that whenever I launch Vegatrek it just shows a blank window (like i said i disabled fullscreen), and then it just hangs until I force quit. The window that opens is called "VegaStrike". I assumed that VegaTrek launches into this, and that the problem is that i was never able to launch the setup app. Please help, the screenshots look great and i cant wait to try it out!
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

hmm how long do you wait? it may take like 3 minutes to load
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I'm having difficulties installing this to 4.1, what excatly do I copy, and what do I don't copy?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

If you're installing over a Vega Strike installation, simply copy the vega trek root directory over the vega strike root directory.

This will make your Vega Strike 0.4.1 game not work. We're going to make future releases of Vega Trek live in harmony alongside Vega Strike.