Vega Trek 0.2.0 released!

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

Tachyio

Bridge Commander

Post by Tachyio »

Hi,

Well Star Trek Bridge Commander has tonnes of wonderful models of ships, stations, etc.

Check Here: www.bcfiles.com for inspiration.

-T
thedoctor

Re: More emac problems

Post by thedoctor »

Thoth wrote:I have a problem similar to the last one. I'm running VT on an eMac, but I knew about the fullscreen problem from playing regular VegaStrike. I have the same difficulty with the setup app though, except that I have X11 and have it running when i try to open VT Setup. All it does is bounce in the dock once and disappear.
I assume this relates to my other problem, which is that whenever I launch Vegatrek it just shows a blank window (like i said i disabled fullscreen), and then it just hangs until I force quit. The window that opens is called "VegaStrike". I assumed that VegaTrek launches into this, and that the problem is that i was never able to launch the setup app. Please help, the screenshots look great and i cant wait to try it out!
The Mac VT-Setup application doesn't work for me either.
I have tried it out on 3 different computers with 2 different MacOSes installed, but for some reason, it didn't launch...
Not with X11 active and not without.

I guess this config-app is currupted.
It simply doesn't work...

However I somehow managed to get the VT Mod working anyway...
But imagine my surprise, when I recognized, that my Vega Strike .app was now malfunctioning.

So I re-launched the VS config .app (which works btw.), and suddenly VS worked again....
But....
you guessed it:
VegaTrek didn't...

At least this is a way to switch between VT and VS.

I assume the reason for this is an invisible VegaStrike system file, which is located in the MacOS X User folder....
The config Applications seem to be editing this file, to make it compatible with either VT or VS...

OK, I'm not an expert in Unix based operating systems or programming, so I better shut up now, but at least this explanation makes sense to me... :wink:

and btw; where did the new VT 0.2.1 Beta go...

can't find it anywhere?
is this thing compatible with the 0.2.0 MacOS version? (I mean, when you copy the contents, or will there be a Mac binary as well?)

Thanx for any reply...
and keep up the fantastic work!

Greetings
the doctor
esgaroth
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by esgaroth »

Just found a low poly 3ds model of an antares class freighter here:
http://starfleetcommand3.filefront.com/ ... o?ID=26034
It should be possible to convert to .obj or xmesh or whatever provided we get the OK of the programmer...

Modeling help would be great! I've got a laundry list of models we'll eventually need somewhere... at this point, anything we don't have right now would be welcome. But I'll rattle off a few suggestions you might want to try out.

-Saber class starship
-Excelsior class starship
-A Federation starbase (mine sucks WAY too much ass).
-A Danube class runabout
-Cardassian ships (Galor class, Keldon class, etc)
-Jem'hadar / Dominion ships
-Ships that are VERY Klingon-ish or Romulan-ish
-Antares class freighter
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I see dead polygons....
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I really have no clue about Vega Trek on Mac OSX. It should work the same as regular Vega Strike, just replace your Vega Strike data dir with the Vega Trek data dir... leaving the actual executable intact.

Perhaps we can get someone with Mac OSX to write up a Mac howto for the next release.

I took the current testing package off of my personal webpsace. I think I will try to find a home for it elsewhere, in anticipation of the next release (which is on its way).
T'Ranger
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Minor Question about VegaTrek.

Post by T'Ranger »

Hi guys,

Minor question. If I want both VegaStrike and VegaTrek to play(not simultaniously, just without problems), will I need two VegaStrike directories; with the second directory overwritten by VegaTrek data?

If you could respond here, PM me, or e-mail me at TarvisTheRanger@aol.com that'd be great.

Thanks for reading.

T'Ranger
PM me first if you'd like to talk over AIM, I'll need to change a few settings.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

from the first page of the thread,
peteyg wrote:There's some kind of funtion in Vegastrike for having separate universes coexist side-by-side, but I haven't bothered. You'll need to install Vegastrike in a separate folder, and copy Vega Trek over it in order to have BOTH Vega Trek and Vega Strike. Hopefully this will be corrected in later versions.
Hope you have some hard drive space :D
Star Pilot

Post by T'Ranger »

Thanks MamiyaOtaru, I totally missed that. And yes, since I just got the computer back from the repair shop alittle over a week ago, I've got space again. *chuckles*

T'Ranger
T'Ranger
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Won't Start

Post by T'Ranger »

Hi again guys,

Help would be appreciated, the VegaStrike.exe 'for' VegaTrek won't run; says I'm missing OpenAL32.dll. Does the original VegaStrike need it? If so why does the original game work, but not the mod?

T'Ranger
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Couldn't say why one version might need it and another not, but it should be a simple fix. All you need to do is download openal32.dll :) Good place to start: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/* ... ll?rev=1.3

Place that in the /bin directory with the copy of vegastrike.exe that won't run and try it again.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you could run the openAL installer that comes with vegastrike0.4.2 or order revs of vegastrike

I think it's avail online too

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/v ... 1&view=log
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
T'Ranger
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Got it workin

Post by T'Ranger »

I got it workin using MamiyaOtaru's advise, thanks anyway Hellcat [/b]

Post by Guest »

i copy vegatrek into my data folder. im running linux debian. when i run the game its crash at splash screen. stderr.txt says

Data directory is C:\Vegastrike3.9\VegaTrek (0.3.9.1)
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = ["C:/Vegastrike3.9/VegaTrek (0.3.9.1)/modules/builtin","C:/Vegastrike3.9/VegaTrek (0.3.9.1)/modules","C:/Vegastrike3.9/VegaTrek (0.3.9.1)/bases"]

and stdout.txt

no name or value given for variable
using config file in data dir C:\Vegastrike3.9\VegaTrek (0.3.9.1)

where i can change this directory?. im running linux i dont have c: xd
bobthe2lol
Explorer
Explorer

WHAT DO I DO?!

Post by bobthe2lol »

hi guys, what do i do? i have downloaded vegatreck and done like 5 prosedures that i thought would work. plus, if i run the launcher and click like new game or svaed game or anything if pops up a screen and them totaly freezes. I left it like this all nighe to see if it would do anything but it didn't so i force-restarted my comp. i REALY want to play on star treck-class ships, i am a REAL fan! please, RSVP.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Well bobthe2lol not much info so first what OS are you using if Windows then look in the bin folder of your install where the exec is you will find two text files stdout.txt and stderr.txt could you post the contents of these they should tell us what caused the freeze or the last thing it tried to do anyway :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2