how to install vt on linux?

Discuss the Star Trek mod(s) for the Vega Strike Engine

Moderators: tillias, Jennos, peteyg

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

how to install vt on linux?

Post by dagg »

hello, I'm interested to install vt on my linux box.
I've compiled and installed vs-0.5.0 now what's next?
is there a place where I can find the source code and compile it myself?

thanks
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi dagg you should find a bit more info here http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=523 as well as where most of the trek guys hang now :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

I figured it up now but it crashs when I'm running it
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Can you find your "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt" in the bin folder and attach them?
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

I have downloaded vt from the svn, the error is that vs cannot find the file factions.xml, I've checked in the vt main and sub directories, the file doesn't exists.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

to add, running sh vsinstall.sh generates this:

Code: Select all

head: cannot open `/home/dagg/../Version.txt' for reading: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/home/dagg/../setup.config': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/home/dagg/../vegastrike.config': No such file or directory
Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/vsinstall.sh: line 14: /home/dagg/setup: No such file or directory
Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/vsinstall.sh: line 20: ./vegastrike: No such file or directory
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

No need to run the install script at all because of the rate of change i usually run VS,PU and Vt in user-land and to get the log out put run the executable from a terminal and just a point of information for you most of the VT guys are strictly Windows types so may not be very helpful :wink: set up the data tree the same way as VS there is some info on the wiki on how to set it up for vegastrike.don't forget the symbolic link from the binaries to the data folder where vegasrike.config is also where factions.xml should be Esgroth was tweaking factions.xml a while back he may have forgotten to re-commit it :shock:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

loki1950 wrote:No need to run the install script at all because of the rate of change i usually run VS,PU and Vt in user-land and to get the log out put run the executable from a terminal and just a point of information for you most of the VT guys are strictly Windows types so may not be very helpful :wink: set up the data tree the same way as VS there is some info on the wiki on how to set it up for vegastrike.don't forget the symbolic link from the binaries to the data folder where vegasrike.config is also where factions.xml should be Esgroth was tweaking factions.xml a while back he may have forgotten to re-commit it :shock:

dude, please punctuate... it's hard for none native english speakers/ADD suffering users such myself, well first let me get an updated version of factions.xml, then I'll continue, I've posted a bug tracker on the site

thanks
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

dude, please punctuate..
will do 8) i also posted about this at the wcjunction forum so one of there leads may chime in.

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

btw, can you enter the main project's site? my browser wants to download the site cause of text/x-server-parsed-html issue, googling it revealed a possible misconfiguration of the site

see this: http://www.webmasterworld.com/apache/3414615.htm
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx for the report i will pass it on to there webmaster chuckstarchaser who is also a member here 8) check out the shaders he is developing http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=11609

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Thanks! I'll pass the info to Nate; I know minus the square root of less than nothing about these things.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Thanks! I'll pass the info to Nate; I know minus the square root of less than nothing about these things.
not a problem at all. :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@dagg could you post that URL that you where having a problem with so Nate WCJunctions LAMP guy can properly test this.

CoffeeBot
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by CoffeeBot »

loki1950 wrote:@dagg could you post that URL that you where having a problem with so Nate WCJunctions LAMP guy can properly test this.

You beat me to it. I was about to ask where/what is giving the error.
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thx dagg 8)
@nate i get the same error when i try that link as well :(

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I cannot reproduce the problem

https://svn.wcjunction.com/vegatrek/trunk/factions.xml

Does he really use the right rep? He should have revision 85.
From Quork Q'Tar at wcjunction hopefully this will get you running 8)

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

rsynced with revision 85, file exists, still having problems,
first, using the -d doesn't work, it loads the original vs.
second, when running vs from the directory with all the game still crashs:
here is the output:

Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in .
Using /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data as data directory
Using .privateer100 as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/dagg/.privateer100 As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : /home/dagg/.privateer100/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.08
MISSION_NAME is empty using : The_Duel.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules/builtin",r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules",r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/bases"]
['/usr/lib64/portage/pym', '/usr/lib64/python25.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.5', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules/builtin', '/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules', '/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/bases']
Setting Screen to w 1024 h 768 and pitch of 4096 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array supported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance supported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
vegastrike: src/cmd/ai/communication_xml.cpp:146: void FSM::LoadXML(const char*): Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted
I've tried to copy my vegastrike.config ontop of the other, didn't made any change, still crashs.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are major differences between the vegastrike config file and Vega Trek's as Vt does not use jump points for inter system travel from the look of your output it seems that there is no config file in /home/dagg/.privateer100 that may be the problem where do you have the binaries placed as the config file should be created there after you run vssetup that and did you specify a path when you build the binaries.

dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

I've created the folder and inserted both vegastrike.config and setup.config, still crashs:

Vega Strike
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in .
Using /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data as data directory
Using .privateer100 as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/dagg/.privateer100 As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/dagg/.privateer100/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.05
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules/builtin",r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules",r"/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/bases"]
['/usr/lib64/portage/pym', '/usr/lib64/python25.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.5', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Numeric', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules/builtin', '/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/modules', '/home/dagg/Downloads/tmp/overlay/vegatrek/data/bases']
Setting Screen to w 1440 h 900 and pitch of 5760 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance supported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
Warning, galaxy contains no overarching planet info
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
vegastrike: src/cmd/ai/communication_xml.cpp:146: void FSM::LoadXML(const char*): Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted
dagg
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by dagg »

anyone? still cant seem to get it to work...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

dagg, as Loki said in reply to your first post; this is NO longer the VT forum. The VT forum is here:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/index.php
Scroll way, way down; you'll see it.
The devs don't come around here anymore, and I know nothing about it; and using the few of us that do
come here as intermediaries it will take you 3 times longer to resolve the issue.
Just join the wcjunction forum and post your problem at their Bug Reports forum:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=59
It will be much easier for you. Trust me.
Quork Q'Tar
Merchant
Merchant

Re: how to install vt on linux?

Post by Quork Q'Tar »

OK, just to update everybody, who is interested, on the wcjunction.com boards, the problem was solved, look here in the VegaTrek bug forum on the WC Junction boards.
(Mostly inactive) Crewman Apprentice Quork Q'Tar of the Austrian Star Fleet ÖSF
Former Cadet 1st Quork Q'Tar of the German Star Fleet DeSF
Ferengi not liking money