Nav-Maps???

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

Nav-Maps???

Post by janus1978 »

Hi there again,

was playing a bit and noticed some strange thing: It seems to be not possible to buy nav maps. If I go into the map-booth in the the upgrade section I just come into the upügrade section again.... What can I do?? Is this a bug.

BTW, after recognizing the aforementioned, I surfed a bit through the files of WCU and found, that there are only two other sectors than Gemini, namely the sol-sector and the enigma sector, and they seem to have only very few systems each. Is this to a bug or do I just need some patch???
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

LOL, the WCU map system is a "bug system". I never had a problem accessing the maps booth, though; no idea... In any case, in WCU you can just fly through jump points and your map is updated automagically.

There are a lot more sectors than the ones you mention. WCU implements the full map...
http://www.wcnews.com/maps/
...but you'll find that a lot of the jumps are borked. Specially around Sol, there are systems you can jump into but can't get back out... So make sure you save the game often if you go around there.
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

Post by janus1978 »

Yeah, I just recognised that. I am sorry, I checked it up again and found that you can buy the sector maps in the upper part of the "map booth", so it ´s ok, after all..... sorry to spend your time needlessly....

But here is another one: i flew to a system called "Wolf 248" oder Wolf 246 or something like that. It actually is in the vicinity of Sol. When I tried to jump out again, I just exploded without reason. Does somebody know something about this????
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

No idea; but according to WC canon there's always a bit of risk when using jumps :)

Historically, the problem with the map is that the system xml files all have to agree. This is easy when you just can let the VS system generator make them for you; but the systems around Sol had to be done manually for canonical reasons, and the process is tedious and error-prone. Until someone volunteers to clean up the map, you'd better save the game often when flying around there.
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

Post by janus1978 »

Ahh, I see.

Well, there are a whole bunch of other problems though. For the last 24 hours I tried to fly around in some systems in the south-west of Oxford, I tried to land, jump, trade, switch ships and so on. And I got kicked out of the game completely EVERY TIME. That means I get a crash to desktop, vegastrike.exe finishes off and the system tells me, that I got a runtime error....
Now, I tell you, THAT can get annoying.... Does somebody have a clue on what may be the problem????
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Yes; like I said, there are tons of human errors in the system files. If you want to try your hand at fixing them up, it would be a great service to the cause. The good news is that Tillias, of VegaTrek fame, has made a tool for viewing and editing maps. So you might be able to use it to do the needed fixes. It's here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 3003#83003
And the map WCU's map is modelled on is LOAF's map, which is here:
http://www.wcnews.com/maps/loaf-full.png
There may be some errors in that map, though; like in Avalon, I've no idea what dark place LOAF pulled those Panama and Sheol systems from... Sheol is supposed to be a research station in Callisto. But anyways, it's a start.