a new start...

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

a new start...

Post by janus1978 »

Hi Guys!

WOW! Haven´t been here for a long time...thought WCU was dead and some Real-life things, you know what I mean...

But hey, here you are and as busy as ever, I am impressed!

Read a bit about the new developments and couldn´t resist but to start right away with installing alpha 0.2.3 again on my comp...
BUT: that´s where the touble started: I just land on perry after the alpha-installation and the installation of patch no.2/2006 (can´t get the no.1/2006) by spiritplumber. But I can´t do anything!!! There seems to be no shipyard, no guilds, no comp-terminals, nothing!!!

Please, what did I do wrong??? Can someone help???
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

There's no working version of WCU around that I know of. Spiritplumber last time was in a frenzy of code-writing that no one could keep up with in terms of testing and debugging, and it showed: the bugs outnumbered the features. She put out some patches, and then the patches went missing somehow. And the rumor is that she's coming back in two weeks, but rumors have been wrong before. But yeah, WCU is no dead star; it's more like a pulsar.
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

problem...

Post by janus1978 »

Yeah, I came to notice that something is going on in spiritplumbers real life, so that she is not around at the moment.

But I don´t think, that´s my problem. The alpha version I downloaded yesterday night has the same no. than the one I used to have months ago. So, I don´t think, that anything has changed since then.

The real problem is: Actually it should be that easy: Just install alpha (perhaps with some patches), thean just start with "launch.bat" and have fun in the whole WC-universe. Thats what I did. I can remember that it did function on my machine in the past!!!! Just now, for some unknown reason, nothing seems to work.

I thought, perhaps someone can give me a clue perhaps on what step I missed or something....Anyone??
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I've none, but if that version you have is the multiplayer WCU, it could be that Spirit's server is off-line. That's all I can think of, at the moment. Otherwise it sounds pretty mysterious.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Unfortunately spiritplumber never managed to understand the development tools (i.e. SVN) that prevent contributions getting lost in the winds of time. Hopefully that somebody, somewhere picked up her patches or she kept the around and will get back involved - even if it is only to dig up her previous efforts.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
janus1978
Explorer
Explorer

Post by janus1978 »

Yeah...I see...

Tell you what: I was able to solve the problem myself, but don´t ask me how, I really don´t know it!!! I just re-installed the alpha 0.2.3 and then - it worked. Perhaps it had something to do with the patches I installed the other times directly after the alpha 0.2.3 version. But anyways, thanks to all who cared!! :-)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

charlieg wrote:Unfortunately spiritplumber never managed to understand the development tools (i.e. SVN) that prevent contributions getting lost in the winds of time. Hopefully that somebody, somewhere picked up her patches or she kept the around and will get back involved - even if it is only to dig up her previous efforts.
I have the same problem. I love programming, but I hate drudgery. Reading documentation for every one of the gazillion libraries one needs to use. Reading documentation for the gazillion tools one needs to use, be they Doxygen, or a testing framework or whatever. Reading documentation for how to use cvs or svn. It seems like programming is 5% programming and 95% drudgery... Unfortunately, it has to be done.

Cool, Janus; glad to hear.