Drayman revisited

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Drayman revisited

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Just to show the progress with the Drayman, so people don't think I've been vacationing in Bahamas...

For those who might not know, there's a need for a modified Drayman to be a sort of mini-carrier, for PU (Privateer Universe), --and possibly another: a mini-destroyer; so I opened up the drayman file and found too few polies for my taste, and a UV mapping that was a quick hack (mapping straight views of the ship onto an existing, multi-view picture of the original), but only using a small fraction of the texture area. So I let myself get sidetracked: cranked up the polies, made a new unwrap, and started the texturing work. So far I got the materials more or less right; next is the rust, the dirt, scratches, and all that.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Titanium-like rust added (warning: very subtle).

EDIT:
Dirt added:

EDIT2:
Some tweaks, and testing with 512 textures:

EDIT3:
With rust, dirt and scratches, 1k textures:

The details may not seem very noticeable in this render, but I think they will be in-game, when you can see the ship in motion. I haven't bothered putting a bumpmap on it, since the engine doesn't support them. Anyways, I'll keep tweaking it. Better catch some sleep for now.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Wow! Can't wait to see those docking ports - once again could you record the XYZ values of those for the docking squares when you've got them in? It'll be handy for Scramble armanent for AI ships, and especially the Randrigor if it ends up using that model.

One point of order - when you gave me the height values they were 0.07 too high on the model. I corrected that, natually, but keep an eye out for it. Make sure the boundaries in your drawing box are tight to the model.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

targ collective wrote:Wow! Can't wait to see those docking ports - once again could you record the XYZ values of those for the docking squares when you've got them in? It'll be handy for Scramble armanent for AI ships, and especially the Randrigor if it ends up using that model.
Well, I'm nowhere near there yet; just fixing up the original Dray, for now. Anywhays, where those crosshatch rectangles are, that's where the dockings will attach.
One point of order - when you gave me the height values they were 0.07 too high on the model. I corrected that, natually, but keep an eye out for it. Make sure the boundaries in your drawing box are tight to the model.
That's weird. Possibly the turret has its origin 0.07 too low? There's no way I could have had such a big error. I took the measurements by snapping the cursor to each relevant vertex or facet, and reading the values off the curor coords. Unless the file that's in the shippack is not the same version that was used for the bfxm...
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Most likely the latter is the case.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The DraymanCVL in PU1.1b6-DSE is the one from the stock PR installation, at least setup.bat catches the bfxm from there. If you have another drayman model in /units/drayman/drayman.bfxm, it takes this one for the CVL.

However, PU1.1b6 with a canonHUDs-upgrade uses the model z30 came up with, and this one definitively is different - different date, different file size.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Then that would explain matters. For the main gun, Chuck, could you round out the top button for me a bit? I can't properly embed the gun into the model, and while trivial, it looks sloppy.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Okay; well, that's for the cvl, right? I hope... Otherwise I have to do new radiosity and ambient occlusion bakings and update all the xcf's.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Yes, for the CVL.

Thanks!