Texturizer

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

Don't know if you are still working on this, but while doing a new installation and googling for texture-plugins I stumbled on an image restoration plugin for the gimp.

Maybe the algorithm it is based on can be of use to you.

On another gamedev-tool related topic. Apparently there will be a open game project along the lines of project Orange named project Apricot organized by the Blender Foundation. The interesting point for us is that it will most certainly mean a lot of gamedev-specific upgrades in Blender in the near future.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

DualJoe wrote:Don't know if you are still working on this, but while doing a new installation and googling for texture-plugins I stumbled on an image restoration plugin for the gimp.

Maybe the algorithm it is based on can be of use to you.
Maybe. Although, really, I got too sidetracked on the image scaling aspect. What I set out to do was a texture generator for ships, and the scaler was like the first subproject of it.
I haven't done any new work on it, though I've been using it left and right, for scaling up privateer characters for Orthuberra, and to scale up WC and Priv ship images for modelling references. The little app has paid for itself.
On another gamedev-tool related topic. Apparently there will be a open game project along the lines of project Orange named project Apricot organized by the Blender Foundation. The interesting point for us is that it will most certainly mean a lot of gamedev-specific upgrades in Blender in the near future.
Cool! I really hope so. Too much of Blender is geared to making models of people, faces and living things; and not enough for ship modelling. One feature that would be really useful is to have 3D draw, as opposed to 3D paint; in the sense of being able to draw orthogonal lines, like when you press shift-ctrl in Gimp. That would be a lot more useful to me than a brush --and having to use a ruler to move the mouse :D
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

Actually Blender has a very powerful tool for 3d-drawing already called retopo. Description on blender feature-page there' s also a video tutorial on google video, just search for " blender" and "retopo".

It takes some practice to get used to. I'm still finding new uses and possibilities with it, the most obvious one is to make a new optimized topology from an existing model. Or during the modeling phase make some verts align properly, you could even use other objects/primitives to press the verts in the correct shape.

Most interesting for you could be that with retopo-paint you can just draw in the 3d-viewport (there' s also a line draw-function) and let it generate tthe appropriate geometry.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hahaha, you mentioned "retopo" so many times and I hadn't a clue what it was about. Now I'm getting it. That seems useful; gotta try it out; thanks!