Newbie help! Can't find the patches...

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Simon
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Newbie help! Can't find the patches...

Post by Simon »

Hello all,

First, I would like to congratulate the team for such a master piece of work!

I am a little confused about what to download. I found a big file that I was able to download (approx. 225Mb) that was called something like 0.2.3. I installed it and it seems to be working fine (I realize that this is an alpha release).

I then read on these forums about two patches that were out. Unfortunately, all the links that I found are dead. I get the "error 404" screen or the "forbidden access" one.

So I installed Tortoise. I am very new at using it and I followed all the instructions. But for some reason, I cannot access the servers or something. I get an error message saying "unable to connect" or "cannot find the WCU module" and then I get kicked out of the program. I did follow all the steps in two different threads I found.

Is there another way to get the patches? I am enjoying WCU a lot, but I feel that I am missing something, that the experience should be better with the patches...

Can anybody help?
-----------
Simon
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

A long while ago we retired CVS to move everything to SVN.
But the task got really really delayed.
The problem now is that spirit worked quite a bit on the binary and the data she posted on the patches isn't compatible with the "official" VS binary (some of what she did didn't get to Vega Strike SVN), and so things are a bit hairy into getting an SVN repo.

However, I may be able to commit that 0.2.3 to SVN shortly (mid march, I'd guess). It won't solve your problem, but does tell you something: don't expect the patches to be on SVN - I'm wary of commiting to SVN something we won't be able to properly mantain (spirit's binary), so the patches' content will have to be reviewed and compatibilized (hopefully Spirit will help with that) before commiting.

The patches are probably still there, though. You get forbidden access since the server on which they're hosted changed at some point and the new server's access policy doesn't allow automatic indexes - that is, it won't show you a directory listing, and the link you have IIRC points to a directory, rather than a file.
So... patches aren't lost.

Chuck... you have access to that account... could you try to update and/or post the real links to the patches please?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Simon
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Simon »

Muchas gracias amigo!

Do the patch correct important issues? There is very little info about them...
-----------
Simon
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I'm very very sorry; the first time I tried to view this thread the server was down, and I hadn't come back around here since then.
I've no idea what patches those are; all I have on my server, in spiritplumber's account is a main download:
http://deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/wcu-devel.0.2.3.zip

As for my having access to the svn account, I can't remember, but I'll take your word for it, Klauss; so what exactly do you want me to do?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Nothing, if the patches aren't in your FTP :?
So... we'll have to wait for spirit to see this and post a new link to them :(
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe