FAO: Wendy

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

FAO: Wendy

Post by -DanR- »

Wendy,

You don't know me, and I doubt you even post here anymore, but I wanted to say a giant THANK YOU.

I am still quite new here, but was trawling through some old threads last night when I found this@
Remember that:
Each ship you fly has its own file, as well as an entry in a savegame.
Each save game has a folder as well as a file.
In units, each ship type found in the game has a folder.
In master parts each ship sold has a listing.
In weapons, each weapon described is given it's technical stats.

You need to add folders, files, entries and such to accompany your savegame files when you hack the game. I fly a centurion1 and a centurion1.blank. My ships are unique in the game. I don't want to come up against a super version of the ship I'm flying.
You posted this a while ago, and it answered the questions I've been asking myself for ages and ages. Now I am happily flying a Sabre, thanks so much :D

Also thanks to everyone else who's replied to my stupid questions lately, especially Klauss and of course Spiritplumber. It's a shame I've joined this forum so late and it seems I've missed all the developement and it's pretty dead around here now.

Any news for the future guys? I do hope this forum picks up soon!
Never rush a Jalthi head on.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Yeah, myself I've been busy with my own mod; but I'll be back here soon to finish the work I started on the Bengal carrier. Haven't seen Dual Joe in quite a while; I hope he's okay; he had a serious eye infection, last I remember; and never managed to finish the Hornet. And Spiritplumber is probably depressed that there aren't too many of us helping with the work; and Klauss is probably terribly busy with RL (two jobs plus university). So, but it's never too late to get involved. Anything you'd like to do, in particular? Wendy hasn't been around in years, probably. She's a playtester, but there's nothing to test at the moment, except a multiplayer version spirit came up with, but there wasn't much interest in multiplayer. None in my case, certainly; I'd just like to see WCU go in the direction of a WC remake, just like it embraced the Privateer remake, IMO.
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

Post by -DanR- »

I wish I could offer more, I'm a hardware engineer in my spare time, I strip out and rebuild computers, I'm not a software whizzkid unfortunately, and know nothing about programming.

BUT I am a lifelong WC fan and hope to help in some way with this fantastic project. I suppose if you need a voiceover with an English/Westcountry or Australian accent I can help.

Also I'm currently building some all new Kilrathi ship cockpits in 3D, will post in a couple of weeks. It's a shame we only have Salthi and Dralthi original 2D sprites at the moment, am making a Krant and Gratha from scratch.

BTW does anyone have the zip file of original WC cockpit sprites that spirit once posted up?
Never rush a Jalthi head on.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I'll have it up in a minute; hold on...

Here you go:
http://deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/cockpits.zip

Yeah, if you can do 3D cockpits your help is invaluable. There's tons of work to do in this area. There are, so far, 3 cockpits done in 3D:

Rockstar did the Ferret's...
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 5576#55576

I did the Hellcat's...
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 4531#54531
(opens up too...)
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 4823#54823

And Dual Joe did the Hornet's...
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 3390#63390

Dual's is the only cockpit that is actually finished --textured and everything.

All the other flyable ships are yet to be done... WC1 ships would be the first priority.

Once you're done with that ... :D ... I'll probably have the Bengal, and hopefully some other carriers superficially done, waiting to have their interiors modelled in 3D ... ;-)
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 9931#59931
http://deeplayer.com/dan_w/WCUships/Ben ... eiling.jpg
DualJoe
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by DualJoe »

No need to worry folks, I'm still alive and kicking.

Just about finishing with the medication for my eye and all in all I can't complain. Despite the scar I still have 120% vision with my left eye.

However I've been cut off from the internet till today.
This morning I've bought mobile internet, which means that I now have internet no matter where I go just as long as I don't cross the border.

Sadly I don't have much spare time currently, because I have to write my bachelor's thesis. So for the moment the Hornet is on hold, but not abandoned.

If you want to contribute, be sure to check out the new Blender release, tons of new features there: texture-baking, multiple uv's, 3d-paint, sculpting, retopo paint-tool etcetera.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hey, Dual, so glad to hear you're okay! :D And thanks for the info on the new Blender; I'm gonna go get it right now.

DanR, I forgot to say, voiceovers would be great, too.
-DanR-
Trader
Trader

Post by -DanR- »

Great work guys, all three of those cockpits are gonna look great.

The easy thing about making a Krant and Gratha cockpit is that I can just make it up from scratch -no 2D sprite to convert.

WB DualJoe. :D
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Just make sure you do your due dilligence before you commit to a design. Perhaps there's no 2D ingame cockpit art, but there might be a 1/2 second shot in a movie, or some cartoonish piece of art somewhere that some people might consider 'canon'. Myself I don't give too much of a damn, but all other things being equal it's certainly preferable not to contradict prior art. (What I AM more concerned about is things making sense, like if the external image of a ship shows a round window frame from the outside, it shouldn't look square when you see it from inside the cockpit.) Even in the absence of any imagery at all, there might be textual descriptions in some of the many books. I just finished reading Freedom Flight, which says that kat ship cockpits differ from human cockpits, among other ways, in that you enter them from the bottom. The pilot seat also makes room for a tail, supposedly; though I always thought kats kept them in their pants, but whaddya know?... And post pics of your progress often, not like some people we've had around here, that kept working secretly on and on, merely saying it was looking great, and when they finally showed their work there were so many issues it had to be discarded altogether.

Whenever I'm working on something I post pics at least once a day. Last time I came up with a turret, Dual said it sucked; and I resisted at the beginning, but he was damn right; and a much better turret resulted from that discussion; you know what I mean? We have no bosses here; but we work by concesus, which can be tough sometimes, but gets the best results.