Back again....

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Back again....

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm back and have broadband again -- yay!

So... what do I have to work on first? :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Spirit, how would you feel about taking a crack at scripting WC1? Just trying to should result in a clearer picture of the priorities, methinks. I could try and finish a simplified Bengal. Simplified in terms of work, not polycount, I mean.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Scripting as in doing the insides of the TC, and the campaign? Ships are pretty much done (fighters anyway).
My Moral Code:
amano
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by amano »

May I suggest something.

I wouldn't make everything in 3D. I would try to preserve the original comic style faces and some other well drawn things. Maybe those could be extracted somehow and placed in front of real world TC (=rendered) backgrounds. This would keep a very original feeling to the game (as did the bases in the privateer remake). But mixing it with rendered backgrounds would make things more original and technically more up to date..

Maybe this functionality could be added. To display 2D animations (extracted from the original game) in front of rendered backgrounds. That would save you from creating models for everything and your dog and you could focus your limited resources on refining the ship models, the scripting, the AI and so on.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

amano wrote:I wouldn't make everything in 3D. I would try to preserve the original comic style faces and some other well drawn things.
Good idea.
amano wrote:Maybe those could be extracted somehow and placed in front of real world TC (=rendered) backgrounds.
Cell-shaded renderings - just an idea.

BTW: yes, as in campaigns Spirit, I bet chuck meant that. I have GUI Python classes that can help a lot into making base interfaces - you can basically do anything with it - anything. For instance, you can replace all the builtin interfaces, map, save/load, upgrade, commodities... it's a lot of coding, but quite possible. It's very powerful, so you can have whatever ser interface, in bases, you want (even WC1-ish), no need to be limited to what VS natively provides anymore.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
amano
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by amano »

Cell-shaded renderings - just an idea.
Yeah. Why not ;)

If the person/face would be something like an scaled animated texture on a 3D 'panel' or something it could be used even (partly) behind 'real' 3D objects. Like the person behind the ship (when it lands) could be used as a cell shaded 'flat' animation and the ship in front of it could be rendered in 3D.

That would save you from creating rendered faces, which are difficult to do (giving them 'personality').

And it would give the game a classic but unique look.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you could share the interfaces that would be absolutely cookies!

what I wanted to do was something like Priv's base screens, overall -- I got a copy of SWC and an emulator, and want to try to extract sprites from there.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

One small thing, Spirit. I was just reading the story of Burrows prior to privateer, --that reporter interview at Helen... intro file. It says here
Out in the void we turned toward the asteroids. White Talons, Retro ships for sure, emerged from their hiding places and headed to intercept.
So, retro talons are white. I think I'm gonna do a retexturing. And the talon presently uses multiple textures, so maybe I'll re-unwrap them too.