'Blue Sky' idea: Capship Design

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

'Blue Sky' idea: Capship Design

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

Something that occured to me over a game of Star Wars d20 with friends today was how well designed the game system's ship design system was, and how something like that could be really neat to implement in WCU.

Fighters wouldn't be as feasible to implement (way too much stuff would have to be redone) ... but for capital ships it could be done. You could have a base selection of blank hulls and use subunit modules that would add properties to it, such as increased cargo space, increased customization space, quarters for more crew, smuggling compartments, turrets, etc.

I think that would be extremely cool, and since subunits are already supported in WCU, it would just be a matter of making these base hulls and defining where subunits could be added.

I'm working on coming up with a system for upgrades ... Ill post it here when I have something. (I don't mean a programming system :P I mean the game mechanics)

[edit:] It might piss Chuck off depending on how much work it'd be, but having the Bengal being one of those ships you could customize would multiply the cool factor :D
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Most of this if not all of it is covered in the DB design including fighter components. Each ship has a limited number of open “space allocation unitsâ€
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Thing is, Ferrius, WCU is a platform for remakes of all WC games, and those already define what ships exist. Now, *after* all WC games have been remade, perhaps there will be new games and sequels and whatnot, and then we can get creative. Note, however, that there are cases of WC ships that are modular and configurable, notably the Caernaven frigate. My plan is also to make launch bays and tubes and all kinds of inner rooms of carriers as subobjects, and have the various carrier models re-use them.

Other than that, me and CoffeeBot are working on our own mod, in which *everything* will be modular and configurable: ships, stations, even missiles. Totally unrelated to WC, though, and ultra-realistic; --e.g.: no FTL, no shields, no gravitics, no aliens... Ships you can fix yourself when they break... :)
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

[quote="mkruer"]Most of this if not all of it is covered in the DB design including fighter components. Each ship has a limited number of open “space allocation unitsâ€
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu