First video is uploaded.

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

First video is uploaded.

Post by BradMick »

Thanks to Chuck, the first video i did over basic modeling is up. its big, 375 meg (i need to find a way to shrink it...virtual dub didnt do such a great job at all) video and covers rapid prototyping. basically using really simple shapes to build a model for the purposes of having something to see that you can further refine. i plan on recording the next video today, which will go into the more advanced technigues for finish modeling.

heres the wiki page where its hosted.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... odel_Ships
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Excellent Brad :wink:
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Great stuff. Watched it a third time; I have to develop an a equivalent set of techniques in Blender. Some don't seem to have an equivalent; like it seems in Ligthwave mirroring is a snap. In Blender I have to select, Shift-D to duplicate, mesh menu Mirror-X-Global, X to constrain movement to the x axis, move the mirrored copy, zoom in and move multiple times to match points around the zero line, enter to accept placement, then select all the point pairs near the center, S(cale)-X-0 to remove any small displacements and cause them to overlap, join them with F9-Remove Duplicates button, and then fix the now inverted normals in the new half with the Recalculate Normals Outside button.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

ouch...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Although you make them sound annoyingly time-consuming, all steps except the "make the points match" are blazingly fast if you know your hotkeys. There must be a way to match the points quickly... something to do with aligning... I'll take a minute this weekend and try to figure out a way.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

chuck_starchaser wrote:In Blender I have to select, Shift-D to duplicate, mesh menu Mirror-X-Global, X to constrain movement to the x axis, move the mirrored copy, zoom in and move multiple times to match points around the zero line, enter to accept placement, then select all the point pairs near the center, S(cale)-X-0 to remove any small displacements and cause them to overlap, join them with F9-Remove Duplicates button, and then fix the now inverted normals in the new half with the Recalculate Normals Outside button.
Really it shouldn't be that hard. A quick google for 'mirroring in blender' turned up results like this:
http://ash.webpark.sk/mirror_eng.htm

I think you just need to find the right resource.

You could try asking on these forums:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=295168
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Thanks; I'll have to try out that script.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Now all we need is a Blender and MAX versions LOL
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

it doesn't matter what package you're using...the technique is what folks should be focusing on. tehcniques are transferable.

rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

HOLY SHIT... that's the first thing I thought about the first 2 minutes. Actuallay I'm not in a situation to watch the whole vid, but a commented tutorial in such a resolution is enough to repeat myself... HOLY SHIT!
Great work Brad!

I guess a 800x600 res would be more than enough and would also lower size but anyways. I'm sure to enjoy the last 13 minutes tomorrow.

Dunno what to say else... awesome is not the word in my lifestyle to describe your work, Brad. Something like MUHA ROCK'N'ROLL would fit much better ^^

BTW. I guess it's time to say how much I'm impressed about chuck's work. As far as I got it, chuck is not that experience with 3d stuff, but already got a cockpit looking far better than all the shit I produced until now. My respect! (Juste mentioned it here 'cause of being too lazy writing 2 posts :p)

Edit:
Be aware of visting Germany... you'll never now when you get drunk, how much you get drunk and if you get out of this shit alive ^^
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Thanks. I'll make sure there's a beer-cooler behind the seat of the Hellcat. Come to think of it, a freezer compartment for ice-cream would be bad either. And for myself I need an ashtray... :D
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Could you model me a set of custom cockpits, chuck? All with ashtray and beer holder? This would feel more realistic to me ^^

I finally got the time - and a clear head - to watch the whole stuff and I'm even more impressed than before. A smaller res - as mentioned in my post above - would definitly decrease size, but as I had to realise you would miss the details. Didn't thought about the 4 window layout Brad used for Lightwave. So forget about what I said and stick to the 1024x768.

Btw. I 've seen you runnig 3 different IM clients, Brad. This is not unusual, but I personally hate a shitload of different windows. Did you hear of GAIM? A simple opensource multi-protocal client covering all the common IMs at once, using far less performance and tab browsing for chat windows. Made me fell much more comfortable with the chatting stuff. If you have not given it a try yet, maybe take some time and visit another great sourceforge project at http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/