Title Screen

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Damn, this front turret makes the orion looking better for me... maybe there's the possibilitie to keep this orion as a special version or something?
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Yes it is possible, if its requested often in the future.

For now we are setting the ships up so they are like they were in the original games. The only thing we arent changing ( well.. actually BP is doing all the work :P ) are turrets on drayman, and thats only because spirit asked me not to. So, no "special models" or anything. We want to have a clean units.cvs, with ships that match the WC games they came from.

It could be just me, but I dont think its possible to balance the Orion at all. Its entire design is around it being a mid-game ship.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

About turrets -- I need to work out a procedure to make turret presence random, as in -- we might occasionally see a two-turreted orion, and even make it buyable as a special option later in the game. Draymans would have from 0 to 3 turrets depending on how much money the guy flying them has :) the difficulty I'm having is to define a rule without having to specify a min and a max for every ship.

For units.csv purposes, put a medium_blank in place of turrets that have to go away, DO NOT DELETE THE MOUNT -- then, make the medium_blank entry really small so that it doesn't show, or delete its mesh (do not delete the entry!). This puts things into a "ground state" where things look and play as in the original, but preserves the turret mount location & orientation in case we want to take advantage of it in phyton.

PLEASE NO MORE TURRET RELATED FLAMEWARS. seriously, it's a very minor issue.

At the time I put a front turret on the Orion mostly because I wanted to see if front turrets were even possible...
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Its no biggie, I am going to delete that front turret from the orion even if the whole forum disagrees with me hehehh.

On a more serious note.. If you guys remember, I had started a topic about the orion already, and back then we agreed that we should delete that front turret and find out another manner to balance the ship. I am sticking with our previous decisions.

If we decide to have orions with more turrets, we should place them somewhere else. Having it right in front of the cockpit is just wrong :P
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Whatever I've read the discussion about turrets on Orion ships and apologize for starting the same discussion in this thread about the Title Screen.

Maybe we should try something simple for the title screen first. Just the star and the text without models or a jumpnode and the text... Images are editable as far as the source data still exist (.pds or whatever). So hi-res ship model screenshots could be added later. So work will stay in progress...

Btw. does somebody have the Wing Commander Font or something similar? I downloaded the original, but it's pixel style and nothing for the big headers.
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

fireskull: DO NOT DELETE THE TURRET POSITION! Leave the subunit string blank, but please don't delete the position & orient data. This is true for any ship that has a turret placed in a location that makes sense. (to wit, orion and drayman).

In case we want to put the turrets back, this way we don't have to go fish out those numbers :)

other than this go ahead & remove the turrets if you think it's balanced.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Whoops. Good thing I started over on the cvs editing, or that turret would have been gone. ALL gone :oops: . Everything will be okies now though.
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

uhm

For what unholy reason would we want to replace that turret at the front of the Orion? :P If we place turrets on it we will place them at the ship side, not at its front heheh.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I would recommend, rather, to make a backup of that entry in another csv file, say units_backup.csv or something. Polluting the main csv is a bad idea.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe