HUD images?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.

What should the HUD images look like?

Wireframe (WC1/2/Priv/GG)
28%
Wireframe (WC1/2/Priv/GG)
28%
Picture (all others)
22%
Picture (all others)
22%

Total votes: 18

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/renders/HUD/ I did a quick batch rendering of every object currently in the game... doesn't look too far from what exists in gemini gold i thought :) add weapons and engines and we're pretty much set.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

blue_paladin42 wrote:Hmm, rotating wireframes. Seems unnescessarily complicated. Who is going to be paying attention to rotating wireframes, when there is a ship rotating right in front of then, which they are desperately trying to hit :D.
It's not complicated. Once realtime rendering of the wireframes is done, it's just a matter of applying a rotating matrix. If anything, it's trivial. After the rest is done.

And... with some work it could be very useful. Like, for instance, it could pick a good angle to point out a subunit (like a turret) on a capship, or even zoom in. Of course, that is no longer trivial. But, still, it's not unnecessarily complicated. Anyway... at least, it would be eye candy. And... as is always, it can be turned off if, afterwards, doesn't seem to fit.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

First, I don't like pictures. The HUD is for tactical analyze and not for presenting and selling the vessel. It should look this way.

I don't think 3d hud images make a lot of sence. Perhaps they do with huge objects with a lot of hitzones, especially when one hitzone on one side of the vessel prevents hitting a zone on the other side, but with ships with four zones it doesn't make much sence.

Other thing: I feel a tactical display should be as easy and well structured. If you have an extra gunner or navigator handling this stuff a movable 3d HUD may be a good idea but when you have just a pilot it seems a little tricky to me... :)
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ah...
You're not getting the idea.

The rotation would be automatic, focusing on whatever you select.

And, it would stick to orthogonal views: top, left, right, etc... the non-orthogonal ones are just for transition. Basically, an automatically rotating schematic.
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Wouldnt it have the same effect than just a top view anyway?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Most of the time, yes.

But, hits could be highlighted (I'm not sure we would use it, but it's a possibility) nicely, and it would be dazzling when you select a subunit and it rotates to show it better.

Anyway, yes. It's the same as a top view, most of the time.

About shields... good question. I'm not sure.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Alpha blended. Priv 2 had a good way of representing shields. I agree with klauss here, 3D is the way to go. With a 2D view, you never know if the shield at the top represents the top or the front of the ship. And if in the future we will have well localized damage modelled, it will be a treat to be able to target a part of the ship, weapon or item that is already weak. As long as the AI's can't do the same... :roll:
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

Just thought I would plug an idea.
First off I would go with wire frames, renderd in game, so that the my targets facing is viewed from my perspective. That way I can tell if my enemy is facing away or toward me without having to have a visual on him. When taking damage the section taking damage gradualy changes from green to yellow to red, then become dark blue for any destroyed parts.

As for shields Im not quite sure how many facings the shields have but keep a static display top = front, bottom = rear. This should not change even as the model rotates.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Well with the exception of Privateer 2, the top of the HUD image was always the front of the ship and the bottom was always the back of the ship. I personally don’t want to change this for historical reasons as well and the KISS rule. In addition the main reason for more moving to a 3D line drawling has less to do with 3D then the fact that it would eliminate yet another requirement for all ships, namely the HUD image itself. The image is auto generated pure and simple.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
blue_paladin42
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by blue_paladin42 »

Wait. Its been my experience that with the exception of privateer, that the top of the HUD was the left side, and the bottom was the right side. That sounds a little confusing, so if you want to see what I mean, go to ships2 section of CIC. In privateer, the up is front, bottom is back. Which actually makes more sense, but I'm just being nitpicky I guess :D
I love Wing Commander.
I love playing Wing Commander so much I don't know what to do.
I PLAY THEREFORE I AM!
Thats all the proof I need to know that I exist!
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

I think these days everyone assumes that top is front and bottom is rear.