obtaining the code and changing it

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

obtaining the code and changing it

Post by zbyszanna »

Another stupid question from the "future developer" ;)
If I want to mess a little with wcu code, should I download wcu sources or maybe vega strike sources will be fine? Until now, I thought they were the same, but when unpacked wcu's src.zip - it is different than vegastrike src :\
And if I changed something, where should I send it? Or maybe I should put it on my site and add a link to it?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Generally WCU stuff makes it into the vegastrike cvs after a week or so... WCU "wants" to remain binary-compatible with VS, mostly because it's more practical -- a lot of what i've done (hidden cargo space, tactical targeting) is also useful in VS as a whole anyway. This said, I will post a WCU code package updated to today if you want.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Spirit is always working on engine enhancements that make it to WCU much faster than they make it to VegaStrike. However, the engines are the same. You should work with VS's source. That is, for the C++ source. The python stuff, however, take it from WCU's downloads. And, IIRC, WCU's CVS is way outdated. It should be refreshed, but spirit has some kind of problem with CVS and can't commit.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

yep -- which is why i've tried to release a patch a week... :( i'm probably doing something extremely goofy cvs wise, but i can't push anything on it, just pop.

other than that... engine wise i've mostly added a few minor features and removed a couple of bugs (klauss: we didn't have any checks against a unit having itself as a subunit until yesterday @_@; that's what was causing all those crashes when entering a confed stronghold, i had the broadsword turrets do that by mistake...), it's been really educational this far :) the only serious contributions i've done to VS are some AI enhancements, really.

this said, you should consider WCU specific code unstable until it does make it into CVS. In general, if you want to tweak you should start from CVS -- best of luck!
My Moral Code:
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

Ok, thanks. I only need to know what to do with code I change. Should I post the link to it?
Here is the launcher thing that I've improved a little. Hellcatv said it gives wrong path to the mission files, but in version I had downloaded from the cvs everything appears to be ok.

home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~zmalec/wcu/launcher.zip
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

What you should do with the code you change is email it to hellcatv or me for now....

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/oct4_src.zip this is the latest wcu source if it helps any.
My Moral Code:
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

klauss wrote:Spirit is always working on engine enhancements that make it to WCU much faster than they make it to VegaStrike. However, the engines are the same. You should work with VS's source. That is, for the C++ source. The python stuff, however, take it from WCU's downloads. And, IIRC, WCU's CVS is way outdated. It should be refreshed, but spirit has some kind of problem with CVS and can't commit.
I think it has more to do with something like "you cant teach an old kitty new tricks" not that Spirit’s that old. Anyway also we were and still waiting for SubVersion (SVN) this will make thing immensely easier for the commits, and removal. Unfortunately the only site that will (future tense) support SVN with the bandwidth and data size we require is still SourceForge.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

nah, it's just that for some reason my RSA key that i put on the sourceforge site doesn't work... i think it's some minor cygwin badness.
My Moral Code:
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

spiritplumber wrote:What you should do with the code you change is email it to hellcatv or me for now....
And your email is? Couldn't find it :\ Maybe you could PM it to me?. I promise I will not send any spam to you! ;)
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

spiritplumber wrote:nah, it's just that for some reason my RSA key that i put on the sourceforge site doesn't work... i think it's some minor cygwin badness.
You can allways remove the onld one and reupload a new one. I had to do it when i got my new system.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

my email is my forum username @gmail.com
My Moral Code:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

mkruer wrote:I think it has more to do with something like "you cant teach an old kitty new tricks" not that Spirit’s that old. Anyway also we were and still waiting for SubVersion (SVN) this will make thing immensely easier for the commits, and removal. Unfortunately the only site that will (future tense) support SVN with the bandwidth and data size we require is still SourceForge.
Get a http://www.berlios.de account and use SVN there whilst putting binaries up on sourceforge.