Some of the interface artwork could use some touch ups..

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
lvx occvlta
Explorer
Explorer

Some of the interface artwork could use some touch ups..

Post by lvx occvlta »

Are there any plans to re-do some of the base-art after you land? I realize that the interfaces were ported from Privateer, and that's great if the majority of people working on it want to leave it that way. (However, it'd be really neat if there was a high-res redux of these base scenes).

When clicking on things like the commodity exchange menu, there pops up some crystallized screens on which the text is superimposed. Great idea, however the color schemes are kinda cheesy. I'd recommend leaving them all one hue, say blue, and if you want, make the different pannels lighter or darker for some variety. Right now, the blue-orange-green mix is a tad overdone. The key is subtlety. Always.

Other than that... another thing that kind of bugs me is the jump-nodes. I like the spinning sphere thing, but slow down the movement some!

Also, I did the textures for New Constantinople, Perry Naval Base, and the Paradigm. This was done for the freelancer privateer mod, and I had given Bob McDob the permission to use them for this project. If you could put my name and e-mail somewhere in the credits, that'd be great.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

THANKS A TON AND A HALF!!!!! :D

please send the textures & contact info to me or chuck ^_^;

re using one hue: talk to chuck. what i was thinking about a while ago was making it a system variable and change the user in the executable, but he did the base interface screens better so i removed that.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's true, they are a bit overdone. I'll get on it.
How's that 'system variable' supposed to work, Spirit? You mean a variable color?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you remember, I had changed the executable to give different hues to and transparency levels to the "sub boxes", then you asked me to remove that :) i can put it back in if you want.

I would like to have at least some of the details faction-color-dependent so that one always knows what base it is.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

As you wish, sweets; but as far as knowing which base you're at, the best thing would be to print out the current base and system name in the info screen. I've always wanted this, as, after playing for 2 hours I forget where I am. Like at the start of the game, I try to make a stop at Helen every other time and alternate the two mining bases, but each time I leave a mining base I have to turn around and target it to remember which it was... :-/
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

uhm ^^' so do you want me to put that code back in? meow O_O; good point there... make the info screen do something :)

should it also have a "diary" subscreen?
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

A Diary? Or a blog? :)
You mean a record of past base landings?
Privateer 2 had some kind of diary, like info you gathered during your investigation automatically got added to your pda as notes, or something.
That would take some coding, but it was a nice feature. I like detective type stories, like in Priv 2, or the Robot series, Caves of Steel; maybe the Priv 3 storyline should have detective work, not just fighting, in which case a diary with notes would be handy.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

omg i love asimov too! <3

well, it it could be a chronicles -- entries are added to the save game file maybe, and put in in phyton. Maybe we could let the player actually edit it :) it would be useful in game for other reasons, like writing down good trade routes.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I'm all for it, if you have the predisposition. Wish I could help you, but I know zilch of python... Don't we need C++ to implement an editor? Or there's one in there already?
Thinking... there's a line editor, like for typing the name of a file; so, assuming the diary is chronological, maybe adapt the line editor to type a note, and hitting enter appends the note at the end of the diary. That should be easy.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

That's the plan -- talked to daniel about it, it's very much doable. Will be in patch 15 or 16 probably.

Now someone has to edit the campaign to add some of those :)
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I guess I'll have to learn how to edit a campaign, sooner or later... :-/
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

what i suggest you do is read the .py files in modules :) phyton is very easy to figure out!

The main quirk it has is that indentation is significant: instead of using { and } to delimit blocks, you use the indentation.

If your phyton stuff isn't behaving the way you want, you can get a LOT of debugging info from stderr.txt
My Moral Code:
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Re: Some of the interface artwork could use some touch ups..

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

lvx occvlta wrote:Also, I did the textures for New Constantinople, Perry Naval Base, and the Paradigm. This was done for the freelancer privateer mod, and I had given Bob McDob the permission to use them for this project. If you could put my name and e-mail somewhere in the credits, that'd be great.
I knew you'd done them, but I was scared to try to spell your nic :D Let us know how you'd like to be credited, with real name or what. Thanks for letting Bob pass those on to us.
Spiritplumber wrote:please send the textures
He already has, they are the ones in the game ;)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

spiritplumber wrote:what i suggest you do is read the .py files in modules :) phyton is very easy to figure out!
Which ones? There are gazillions and I can't seem to find any files related to Priv missions... No Sandoval.py, nor anything named remotely like it.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

campaign.py :)
My Moral Code:
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

As we speak I am rapidly approaching procrastination saturation wrt the campaign editor ... which means in the next week and a bit, I will actually be making it! File format is specced up, importer should be done tonight....then just the interface to implement and easy to make campaigns are available. :-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

We love you.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Dan, don't forget that personal inventory for the mags (and possibly many other things), if it's not too hard.
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Dan, don't forget that personal inventory for the mags (and possibly many other things), if it's not too hard.
Don't worry, I have my list ... it's just grown rather big in the last few months ;-)

Dan.a
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso