Need help in installing WCU

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
alkan
Explorer
Explorer

Need help in installing WCU

Post by alkan »

Hi first post here

I downloaded PR 1.2 just a few days ago, came to know about it after I went through browsing Dosbox forums searching for a solution to stop a crash problem coz I found the good ole Privateer game I never completed then.

The game got me immersed, great game guys and I really appreciate the effort. I spent a couple hours reading through the PR forum and now WCU forum and I am really interested in installing it but I need to know what files I need as I am confused by the many different files ie: wcu071705, wcu-alpha-main-uptopatch11, wcu-code, wcu-data etc etc.

I am clueless so pls forgive me in that and much thanks to whatever help I can get

Thanks
alkan
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

You want to get wcu-alpha-main-uptopatch11 and then go to http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/ and get patches 12 and 13. I know it's a bit unwieldy but we're still alpha :) we'll have a nice installer at some point.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
alkan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alkan »

Thanks for the reply Spirit :D

I downloaded everything while waiting for a reply, wcu071705, wcu-code, wcu-data, wcu-alpha-main-uptopatch11, patches 12 and 13.

Can u help me by telling me what to do next? I did not see a setup file or installer in them. Also what uses are wcu071705, wcu-code, wcu-data since I dled them ?

Thanks again, sorry for being a noob

Regards
Alkan
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Those other three files are just old stuff... what you want to do is unzip wcu-main somewhere, then unzip the patches on top of the main installation, then run reset_universe.bat
My Moral Code:
alkan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alkan »

Thanks Spirit 8)

I tried playing a new game and despite the lack of sound and music in many areas, it still seems like a new experience with the many different ships that patrols around, like passenger class fleets, base patrols etc, adds more realism to privateer.

The game looks better too but also more slower and some pauses. Also, I tried overlaying WCU into into privateer and load up a saved game with a nicely geared centurion and 4 million credits :P . However, I found out that the afterburner is not working when I launched it into space and my rear turret "poofed" :cry: .

Not a big problem as I decided to buy a new one but I crashed to desktop with a warning msg stating abnormal operation at the VERY moment I activate autopilot ( keep crashing on autopilot many times ).

Assumming my ships data are corrupted, I load the game again, sold off the centurion and am left with my old gearless tarsus . Then I exited the game and replaced the tarsus.begin file with the new game tarsus.begin file ( The tarsus the game starts with in WCU with basic gear like one laser mount and 2x2 heatseekers ).

Ok, default ship but still have the money to buy loads of new ones, I launched into space after buying a jump drive and autopilot did not crash anymore, got me happy for a while but I crashed again when I crashed again when I tried to jump ( no abnormal operation warning msg, just crash to desktop ). Loaded game again and crashed when I tried to dock ( same, no msg, just crashed to desktop ):?

So is it unplayable to use PR 1.2 saved files to play WCU as I wanted to take advantage of the expanded universe without going through the mill of accumulating wealth again or I have to start over?

Any feedback is greatful :D

Regards,
Alkan
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

There are a few changes in the way the autogen works that make using PR save games, well, erratic ^^; sorry.

sound... i can't for the life of me get ogg-vorbis to compile in the vegastrike executable properly. :( sorry. i tried a bunch of times. however, it WILL go back in the instant someone else compiles a windows executable from cvs :) all the WCU stuff is in the cvs repository and can be turned on and off using vegastrike.config.

I don't know what causes the pauses yet... probably some bad phyton code on my side, i have to put in klauss' optimizations yet. Part of it is that there's 5x more stuff to load. :)
My Moral Code:
alkan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by alkan »

Thanks again Spirit, sent u a pm too

Regards
Alkan