Scripting systems?

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

They're supposed to be jump buoys ^^; the logic is that they DO generate the hologram around the jump point. I need to make them collideable and put them somewhere other than dead center...
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I remember we had a long discussion at crius about the buoys. They do NOT "generate the *holograms*"... (what holograms?); they are *communications relays*, and also serve to mark where the jump points are, should a ship not have the type of computer that *projects markers onto the HUD*.
Military ships, supposedly, don't have the animations projected around jump-points, so they must look at the radar, for long range, and by eye when close. Also, a ship's computer could get damaged, and visually spotting the buoy would be the only way to know where the jump-point is.

I understand the problem, though: Some WC games had buoys, others had blue spheres or animations projected by the computer instead. The sane compromise was to have both, but then you can crash with the buoy.
I don't know what the solution is; maybe make the buoys collidable but to make the jump points bigger, and have the autopilot aim for a point off center, perhaps?

Sorry Fireskull, I've seen you cries for help and my heart goes out, buy you know more than me already about systems. ;-)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

It was just a XML "grammar" problem :) a way to check for consistency after you edit a system file is to give it a .xml extension and open it with a browser. If you get a blank page, nothing shows up; if there's an error you will see the xml file as text. Some browsers (Opera for example) will even pinpoint the error for you.

Re jump buoys.... even though I'm pretty happy with how the bubble animation turned out, I favor having "naked" jump buous. Making them appear offcenter fortunately is easy. ^_^ just poke at units.csv a little (I just did, will upload in a bit)

I want to tone down those circles a bit so that it's clear it's an animation.
My Moral Code:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

spiritplumber wrote:It was just a XML "grammar" problem :) a way to check for consistency after you edit a system file is to give it a .xml extension and open it with a browser. If you get a blank page, nothing shows up; if there's an error you will see the xml file as text. Some browsers (Opera for example) will even pinpoint the error for you.
Or use a free XML editor to parse and verify things for you. If you're on Windows, FirstObject is handy. On Linux I tend to use Conglomerate.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

oh, it works now hehe thanks guys.

by the way... here is what I am going to do spirit:

*I will change the units.csv so capships are in the right scale. Because if I place all the main fleets right now, and we change the ships later on chances are I will have to do everything again.
*Only after that I will place the confed and kilrathi standing defense fleets in their systems.

Also I was just wondering, the meshes for fighter bases, naval bases and starfortresses were never finished right? they look reaaaally weird. I am going to erase them from the systems for now and use something else.

Actually, for Naval bases, it would be much easier to just replace the word "Perry" from Perry naval base with the names of the other naval bases. There is like only one naval base in each sector anyway.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Excuse me I have to celebrate..

I DID IT!!! I SCRIPTED SOL SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sheesh, that was one tough system to script.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Right on! Haven't been applying patches, but I think I'll finally patch up when patch 11 is out... ;-)
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

By the way...

I wanted to put two waterloo cruisers in that fleet which now orbits Earth but couldnt... I cant find the file names for them. I just put two paradigms in their place.

Thats something which needs fixing.. otherwise confed wont have any cruisers since the waterloo is the only one we have meshes for.
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

The waterloo should be in line/row 797 in the patch 11 units.csv
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Make sure that you put in the ship name in all lowercase when referring to the unit.... Waterloo will not appear but waterloo will appear. :)
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Make sure that you put in the ship name in all lowercase when referring to the unit.... Waterloo will not appear but waterloo will appear. :)
My Moral Code: