I had the most amazing thing happen in game today

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

I had the most amazing thing happen in game today

Post by Fireskull »

Ship log entry #46, 2669.05.12. 1400

After expending a while in New Detroit, resting, enjoying the many night clubs of the planet, among other things, I decided it was time to find myself a job at the Merchants Guild. It would take ages to buy those ion cannons I wanted if I didnt begin to do some serious flying.

As I checked the mission disks, one instantly caught my attention. A cargo run to a system just one jump away, for 18,000 credits. And to top: The system was a jump -away- from the border, which meant it most likely was safe. I acepted the job.

And on I went to Manchester system to deliver suppiles to a refinery. On my way to the jump point my radar caught a Darket dogfighting a Sabre... no big deal I thought, that light fighter would soon be wasted. That and their distance made me choose to ignore the fight and just go on.

I made it to Manchester, my radar was clean, and better yet: the only jump into the system was from New Detroit. The whole thing was looking so damn safe to me I almost transfered all energy of my shields to my ship engines.

I hit the autopilot and picked up a magazine to read on the long way to the refinery. After a hour or so, I began to hear the sound of explosions,and as I checked my radar I found out a Kilrathi destroyer had just jumped into the system, and was on the move to attack the refinery! On top of all of this, the missle warning on my hud began to flash and as I rolled my ship out of the missiles path I found a pirate had me on its sights. I locked my radar on his talon, set the turrets of my Galaxy to fire at him and as soon as I had his ship in front of me, fired two missiles at him.

I could not afford to lose any more time fighting a pirate while the Kilrathi were attacking the refinery. I hit my afterburners and caught on the tail of the badly damaged Talon, finishing him with a quick burst of particle cannons.

Looking at my radar and targeting the ships in the area, I saw the Kilrathy had 4 dralthi fighters, 3 gothri and a Fralthi destroyer. The refinery had only 3 arrows for defense, which were very busy with the dralthi.

The gothri were attacking the refinery, and I decided to engage them. Taken by surprise, they could not shake my ship off before being hit by a salvo of missiles. They hit their afterburners and split, one heading to the cruiser and the other trying to maneuver around the refinery, trying to avoid my shoots and have me crash on the starbase. I forgot the one that went back to the Kilrathi destroyer, and gave chase to its partner. Luckly I found the Gothri only has a meson cannon at its rear turret, and damaged, its engines could not outmaneuver me. Soon enough the ship blew up in the void of space.

Amazingly, the outnumbered Arrows were defeating the Dralthi, and so I decided to engage the other Gothri. I fired my last missiles at it, and as it tried to dodge them I caught on its tail, firing at it until this second ship was gone too.

I breath deeply, trying to get a view of my surroundings, and saw the Arrows had defeated the Dralthi fighters with no casualties. I had some time to dock in the refinery and empty my cargo hull, which I did. Being under heavy attack, the mechanics of the refinery were happy to give me a few missiles for free.

So I launched again. Much to my surprise I saw the arrows werent engaging the destroyer, they were actually leaving! Shame on the confederation, abandoning civilians like this!

The destroyer approached the refinery, and launched a swarm of fighters against it. I could not count how many, but there were at least 7 fighters. At this, the arrows quickly turned back to help, thank god.

I still engaged another Gothri while the Arrows were fighting, but there were way too many kilrathi. As I won the fight against the kilrathi pilot and turned my ship around, all the arrows were gone and Kilrathi fighters were swarming the refinery. Its shields would be down soon enough.

There was nothing I could do anymore, and I left to save my life. Back at New Detroit I found the system under light attack from the Kilrathi, possibly a distraction so they could not send reinforcemnts to Manchester. It worked, because as the fighting in New Detroit ended, with victory to the confederation, I received the news that the refinery in Manchester was destroyed.

The kilrathi... very few privateers realise the danger they are, but now I have seen them. This event has given me a new perspective of things, and I just pray humanity is strong enough to fight the kilrathi.

end of entry #46

( note: Besides some obvious stuff, like the night clubs of New Detroit, reading a magazine while in my Galaxy and being given free missiles, all of this -really- happened in game. I thought it was so amazing I should share it :P )
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Very cool! Glad the fleet AI is finally starting to respond :) Thanks for the positive feedback... now I can honestly tell you that this was not scripted, I just got lucky with the autogen.

The reason why the Arrows wouldn't attack the Fralthi is that the Fralthi has phase shields, so a light fighter would be useless -- they are SUPPOSED to call in bigger guns at that point, but that doesn't really work yet. They turned around to engage the Dralthi because those were a valid target.

This said, I believe that bases should keep at least one bomber on hand to avoid being wasted like so... in general bases keep between 1 and 5 light fighters for protection (type of fighter depends, usually it's arrows or ferrets for confed, demons for merchants and hunters, talons for pirates etc). but should they also keep one specimen of something heavier?

What I need to do next is that in a three way battle (pirates vs. confed vs. kilrathi) the pirates (or other minor faction) should temporarily ally with confed, or run away.

Thanks for the feedback, this really made my day :o
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Not necessarily "ally", but perhaps prioritize. If pirates are alone with merchants, they fight the merchants. If there are hunters, they should leave the merchants and fight the hunters. If there are militias or confeds, they should fight those instead. But they should hate retros and kilrathis the most.
This would guarantee that in a 3 way battle, pirates and confeds and militias and hunters would all turn against kilrathis first, retros second, and only then start fighting each other.
But then again, if a lower priority target is already damaged and its shields are down, might as well finish it before proceeding to the next target...
And then again, pirates should be smart enough to flee while the kilrathy are keeping confeds and militias busy, right? Hmm...

In any case, bases should be a lot harder to defeat, me thinks...
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Its a good idea to have a decent fighter squadron in all bases, including a bomber or two, because some of them are going to be near the Kilrathi border, and may fall very easily to attacks.

That OR we would need a very good "we need reinforcements!!!" script. Even though New Detroit -was- under light Kilrathi attack, they could have launched a whole wing of fighters to attack the Kilrathi in Manchester, as there were only 3 Kilrathi fighters in New Detroit.

If that Kilrathi cruiser makes it into Confed space and out, without being attacked by bombers, I would say there is something missing in the AI. Even though this absolutely does not takes away from that event in anyway. Honestly Spirit, that cargo mission will remain in my "gaming memories". It was just amazing and well.. just amazing.. ( and there are people who still dare say being a merchant is boring! )

By the way spirit.. after being destroyed do bases ever respawn?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Bases only respawn if another faction conquers that system... and bases DEFINITELY need phase shields :) i gotta go and do it.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.