Sugestion: Dreadnaughts

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Sugestion: Dreadnaughts

Post by Fireskull »

Remember the Kilrathi Dreadnaughts from wc3? Are they in the game? I think they should be :)

By the way spirit. Incase you havent seen that post of mine in the other thread. I -AM- willing to help you with the cockpits of starfighters. I just dont know how :P
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Appreciate your help! Open a .cpt and .spr file with a text editor (Notepad will do) and see how the existing cockpits are done... :)

The Kilrathi Dreadnought would destroy everything in its path except for maybe the Concordia, and even then the Concordia would have to get a lucky PTC shot in AND use its bombers effectively. Remember, the Dreadnought is about ten times as big as the Concordia.... even if there was ONE on the whole map it would alter the balance of power immensely.

Right now the Kilrathi "supership" is the WC3 Bhantkara carrier -- it doesn't have anti-matter-guns or the phase transeit cannon like the Concordia does, but it can launch fighters and especially bombers faster. In general it's an even fight. The confed "supership" is the WC2 Concordia. Other factions don't have carriers, with the exception of the Border Worlds which have the Intrepid.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Uhm okay, I think I sorta get it.

But whats the use of spr files?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

The spr files tell the engine if the image is a png, jpg or bmp, also how big it is.
My Moral Code:
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captin cocksniff »

couldn't you fix the 'kilrathi dreadnaught', in a specific place, like the garrasions round new constantinople? to stop it rampageing across the universe.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Sounds sensible... it owuld have to be near Kilrath though :) who's going to fly there?
My Moral Code:
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

Well not sure who is brave enough to venture deep into kitty land.
but maby it could be part of a confed mission or something, 'to stop the catnaught, before it launches a fullscale attack on.... errr.... Perry?'
then as the saviour of confed you can finnaly have access to milatry equipment... har har.
I don't know.....

other than sugestions i dont think i can help much, with actual programming. but if the fedss have garrisons surely the kilrathi would too. I think the capship garrisons are a great part of the game, I haven't been into kilrathi teratory yet though, do they have any?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Sometimes a big capship is set as a nav point, and it's garrisoned in that system -- I scripted it in Perry and New Constantinople because all the Gemini systems are scripted, but the autogen SHOULD do this, yes. It does, that I know of.
My Moral Code:
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

kilrathi incentives

I was just thinking, all the time i have been playing WCU I have3 hardly been into kilrathi teratory. (though the problems i have with asteroid fields stop me from following the story line)
Are there any aspects (other than the normal Priv/RF storyline) that require you to go deep into kilrathi teratory?
I remember the threds about a fed story line, what stage is that at?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Storylines are the last thing that will get done... first we need at LEAST the economic model and the base screens in place.
My Moral Code:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Actually I sort of disagree with you there Spirit. It would be wise to start planning the storylines now. Stories can take a long time to refine, especially if they are to be accurate, consistent, and solid. Get people writing down their ideas and pooling together thoughts now, and by the time the development of WCU is such that storylines are ready to be included you will have some great plots to stick right into the game without the hassle of creating them from scratch.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I agree with charleig. You needn't start coding them, just planning them. The idea is that, when you get to coding, they're all refined and consistent, and you just stick to the script.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Hey spirit.. I will try to do one cockpit this weekend. What one do you need me to do?

Uhm, better yet, give me a small list? Just incase I manage to do them kinda fast.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I did venture deep into kitty land a few months back. Covered a lot of it, in fact. Quite an experience; not too many places to land with repair services... which can be a problem considering that stations fire at you when you're trying to land on them, besides the other ships. I think part of a story could be about bets against another privateer. I believe there's some story with a competing privateer, right? So, say he challenges you to meet him or her at a bar in some planet, deep in Kilrathi territory, then to another, and another; then in the last leg of the betting circuit tries to cheat you...
Also, we could have a GNN fixer in some bar, that when you talk to her she says, "if you ever get hot pics, like from of the main systems in kitty space, come see me; we'd pay top credits for them".
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

I didnt know the Dreadnaught was so powerfull when I sugested putting it in, it has been a long time since I played wc3.

Given it would unbalance the game, and it really would make no sence to have the kilrathi own such a powerful ship and not use it, I take my sugestion back :P
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Kitty bases need base interface screens ^^; and about cockpits:

Arrow (can be used for a lot of small fighters)
Korlarh (can be used for kilrathi cargo ships)
The Armada Dralthi cockpit
Banshee (good general purpose bomber cockpit)
Broadsword
Sabre
Rapier
My Moral Code:
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

Kilrathi spy mission... like the sound of that.

I figgured as you do so much for Towlin and the universe in genral, (killing all those 'important' bad guys') it would make sense that they hire you as a kind of assisicin, or a bit like the SAS, or Delta force. so you have to go meet a secret opps ship deep in kilrathi teratory (and proabbly at the same time be part of the effort to resupply it), preform a few high profile assicinations (kilrathi fighter aces, polititions, genrals) and
disrupt supply lines (has been a tactic that wins many wars).

or maby the feds use you to do some dirty work, like takeing out a high profile anti war protester (of course you would have to get a kilrathi ship so it is a kind of 'i told you so'), or polititions trying to cut the confed budget, or even Borderworld polititions campaning for independance.

How are the Nepthilim going to be involved in WCU?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you want to start writing a plot, please do so :)

I like the "war protester" idea, WCU should be at least as morally ambiguous as WC4 since you're not mr. square jawed hero.

There are three (well, five if you count clustering) Nephilim ships in the game. Currently the Nephilims own no system in the big map, so none are spawned -- they're mostly there to be spawned by plot missions in case we need them. Also they're there because I wanted to play around with clusterable ships. :)

If you want to see how the Nephs work, run vegastrike.exe battle.mission and spawn some...
My Moral Code:
Captin cocksniff
Mercenary
Mercenary

I am full of ideas for potential plots. some good some bad, some adsurd. but who is incharge of that?

I still don't know what AWACS stands for.

And chuck as far as i can remember, you end up killing all the rival privateers you meet (i think there are 3). But why not make another one, or maby you didn't actually kill one of them the first time and so that would explain the vendeta?

the major thing that has allways buged me about RF, is would the retros really give up so easily? they are on the brink of their lifetime goal, and they cancal their plans just because their leader gets wasted? there have been some major rebelions lead by dead leaders (though memory fails to name, but i know it has happend), actually look at iraq, sadam is in jail, but people are still fighting. Plus i would never trust our chractor with the secret location of the base (especially as he has ties to confed), and I personally would never trust a retro who has had dealings with the kilrathi!

I also never forgave the retros for takeing my precious gun. i allways wanted the oppertunity to persue them to distruction , (and take over their planet, and start my own rebelion). But i am a very vengful person.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I always felt that the plot in RF had been wrapped up too quickly... (plus, the Retros of all faction taking only months to reverse-engineer and mass-produce a piece of alien supertechnology?)

AWACS stands for Armed Workers Against Corporate Slavery, AKA space commies :) why do you think their ships are named Hammer and Sickle? They're the official enemy faction of the bounty hunters, among other things.

Also, RF is supposed to take place in 2670... so wouldn't the Kilrathi have disarmed by them?

Anyway, if you want to write a plot, please do. I'm all for the "rival privateer" overarching storyline, and I've posted a skeleton of it somewhere on this forum.

Hope you like the repaired patch, especially the new torpedos and missile launchers.
My Moral Code: