As mentioned on Blue's News

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

As mentioned on Blue's News

Post by crouton »

Just wanted to let you guys & gals know that we're starting to get some attention. Today's (7/19/05) bluesnews.com Mod Squads section mentions Privateer Remake, WCU, and the Gemini Gold projects.

http://bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?a ... adid=58654

This will hopefully bring some new faces, new ideas, and new helpers into the community. The more the merrier!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

The Privateer Remake, previously reported here on Blue's News (story), has forked not once, but twice. The project, now headquartered at sourceforge has just released version 1.2, after the development oriented 1.1 release. It introduces changes that bring the feel somewhat closer to the original. But those changes were not enough for 2 other groups which have taken the openly available sources and made their own versions, as reported on by the German website.

The progressive group, Wing Commander Universe, has added spaceships stories and starsystems from many other Wing Commander sagas into a blended universe, whereas the reactive group, named the Privateer Gemini Gold Edition, has obliterated any options that the remake added over the 1993 classic and narrowed the focus and depth to capture the original experience better. The clash has brought gaming purists head to head with the tinkering hackers, illustrating the strong memories and feelings that are still evoked by the 11 year old classic.
Priceless! :D
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

You know this is sad. main reason why is because most of it comes down to a simple switch or tweak. oh well.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

To be honest I thought the Blue's News blurb was partially incorrect. PR is more progressive, while Gemini Gold is going back to the true roots. WCU is a fork, yes, but is something else entirely. We're expanding beyond Privateer which they only lightly touched on.

The German website hardly mentions WCU at all, while Gemini Gold (2 days old?) is already making waves. Ironic, eh?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm happy for them, I haven't seen Gold yet, but I guess that they got to beta test it and found it more polished than WCU :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I wouldn't feel bad. golem.de only found Gemini Gold because John is squatting on the Remake's old URL ;)

Blues News is pretty accurate in their description of WCU so far, it is mostly an add on for the remake at the moment. They just aren't aware of the ultimate goal, but I wouldn't hold it against them.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Indeed, but when does an add-on end and a whole 'new' game begin?
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

crouton wrote: The German website hardly mentions WCU at all, while Gemini Gold (2 days old?) is already making waves. Ironic, eh?
Oh well :) Gemini Gold started already in the late Privateer Remake beta it was just not officially announced. Now it's ready, the beta is up and i hope people will have a lot of fun with it ;)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Cool! how do I get a copy?

and uhm, the addon ends and the new game beings when.... eh, does it matter? let's just get it to work and leave that bit to the philologists :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

spiritplumber wrote:Cool! how do I get a copy?
It's now in the beta testing you have to wait a little bit...