WCU Ship Pack 0.5.0 CVS Development Branch Now Available

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

WCU Ship Pack 0.5.0 CVS Development Branch Now Available

Post by mkruer »

WCU Ship Pack 0.5.0, the 0.5.0 branch has now been uploaded to the WCUniverse CVS. This is a development branch for WCU, not a testable game mod. You can download it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/wcuniverse/. You need to use as CVS Client such as TortoiseCVS (http://www.tortoisecvs.org/) to download and make change to the development branch. Also heed no attention to the web based CVS on sourceforge, it is updated only once a day and at scheduled times, any changes during that day will not be immediate displayed. i.e. Use the CVS Client
The current CVS comes in at the nice small size of ~300MB.

The first thing that needs to be done is the removal of duplicates. I have added every model I had, even some that were used in other mods. Before you jump right in and start making changes, READ and UNDERSTAND the instructions. CVS is not friendly when it comes to moving, renaming or deleting files.

Objectives
1. Removal of redundant ships or inadequate ships (I think I have found them all. Any thing of lq. Low Quality should be moved into the graveyard)
2. Complete conversion of all formats into the obj format.
3. Adding of new and better ships.

How to use this ship pack:
First off let me say I absolutely hate CVS for its lack of deletion and renaming of files or directories. In order to compensate for this lack of features I have broken the ship pack into distinctive sections. Each section serves a specific purpose:

Section 6: Graveyard
This section is reserved for all models no longer wanted or usable in the Wing Commander Universe ship pack. Its primary purpose is to serve as an archive of ships that the WCU no longer requires or does not meet standards.

Section 5: Pending Review
All the models are placed into this section first to be reviewed by all WCU staff. Depending on the completeness of the model the model will be moved into other sections found appropriate depending on the completeness of the model

Section 4: Verified Model
All models in this section have met the first requirement that they have been correctly modeled however they are lacking any texture or incomplete textures.

Section 3: Verified Textured
All models in this section have met the first requirement and the second requirement the model has been correctly textured and is awaiting to be scripted.

Section 2: Verify Scripted
All models in this section have met the first two requirements and are waiting for any additional scripting that needs to be done in order for the model to be released into the next section of active model.

Section 1: Active
All models in this section have met all the requirements and can be used in the next release of WCU.

Additional Structure Scheme
Within each section all models are broken into groups by race, Terrain, Kilrathi, Steltek, and Nephilim. Special groups are Weapons, and Miscellaneous. Within each Race all modes are to use the Quick and Dirty VegaStrike Modeling Schema (QDVSMS) This is a simple schema to help standardize all the models currently available for VegaStrike. The general purpose is to make the models and structures easier to read.

Each model should be kept in its own unique directory. This eliminates cross linking ships accidentally. The directory name is the first part of the prefix structure to help identify the model.

Class Prefix (Level 1) REQUIRED
This is simply the type/class of the ship, NOT ITS NAME, i.e. the tigers claw is not the class of the ship, but is its name, the tigers claw belongs to the Bengal class.

Example: bengal

Name Suffix (Level 2) REQUIRED
This is for a specific ship to define individual ships.

Example bengal.tigers_claw

Alignment Suffix (Level 3)
Alignment is what faction the ship belongs to. Note: This is not to be used to define the race. Race is a root directory classification.

tc. Terrain Confederation (assumed default)
pr. Pirate
cv. Civilian
bw. Border Worlds

Example bengal.tigers_claw.tc

Description Suffix (Level 4)
The description suffix was added to describe changes to an existing model. i.e. color, damage, etc…

Example bengal.tigers_claw.tc.destroyed

Version Suffix (Level 5)
Version Suffix is a last catch all for any ships that fell through all the prior levels. This level should be avoided.

Example bengal.tigers_claw.tc.destroyed.v2

Not all ships will require all the levels of the Suffixes. You can add the levels you need to describe the ship. However all the Suffixes should be kept in the appropriate order. (P,1,2,3,4,5)

Quality Control Suffixs (Level 6) REQUIRED for now
lq. Low Quality; these are the lowest, and should be moved to the directly to the Graveyard
aq. Average Quality; represents the average quality of most game models
hq. High Quality; these are models that above the average, but not in the extreme range
eq. Extreme Quality; these are models that have detail so great that using them for game play becomes impractical.
ogm. Original Game Model, 3D models ported directly from the original games. (Only WC3, 4, P, and Academy apply. these are the only games to have OGM's)

Optional suffix for the ogm prefix: (Level 6a) REQUIRED for now
This is for the ships that are direct conversion from the original games, texture included
wc3. ship model comes directly from Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger game.
wc4. ship model comes directly from Wing Commander 4: Price of Freedom game.
wcp. ship model comes directly from Wing Commander: Prophecy game.
wca. ship model comes directly from Wing Commander: Academy game.
If you are using the model but are replacing the texture, please see, Name Suffix (Level 2) or Description Suffix (Level 4) to specify changes to the textures.

Any other questions?
Last edited by mkruer on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.spiritplumber.com/get_shippack_5_0.zip

For the CVS impaired, here's a little batch file that will get the stuff for you. Just unzip the two files somewhere and run the batch file. It will also install a super-evil virus which will enable the Kids Next Door to use your pc as part of their control cluster.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Idiots guide to using TortoiseCVS

Post by mkruer »

Idiots guide to using TortoiseCVS
This is meant as a quick layman’s tutorial of how to use TortoiseCVS

1. Download and Install it from http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
2. Once installed, find a location that you would like to save you repository, right click and select CVS Checkout; This will bring up the CVS Checkout Module
3. Use the Example on what should be in what fields. Enter your Source Forge username (in place of mine “mkruerâ€

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Since I can't update cvs, in the meantime look in

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake

for some stuff I either found, scavenged, made or cleaned up that's not in the shippack.
My Moral Code:
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Do I need this shippack at all if i runn the newest main and upgrades? And if I need it (by need i mean is there something i won't have without it... :wink: ), will it slow down the game as it was in the pre alpha 0.2.1 version?
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Do I need this shippack at all if i runn the newest main and upgrades? And if I need it (by need i mean is there something i won't have without it... :wink: ), will it slow down the game as it was in the pre alpha 0.2.1 version?
No you do not have to download the ship packs. They are separate from the game, and are currently more of a repository for weeding out ships that will later be included.

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I've finally sorted through the ship pack... how would you recommend I upload it?

What was done:

-Redundant/identical models removed (there were a ton and a half).
-Hangarless carriers and bases meshes had a hangar added.
-Everything is in obj/png format with the same orientation (z axis pointing forward).
-Added Armada capital ships, tugs, WC2 strakha, whole bunch of stuff.
-Sorted models a little better.
-Removed messed up models.
-Added components to ships that support them, such as transports.
-Added some liveries.
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/ ... ck-5.1.zip here ya go! Please see if everything that should be there, is there. I think I did a good job with it.
My Moral Code:
Baba2000
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Baba2000 »

How do we fly these ships?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

You use them in your own mods :)

UPDATE: The 5.2 ship pack has been moved to a SVN repository and can be found at

https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wcu ... /shippack/

For Windows users I recommend TortoiseSVN by the same team who made TortoiseCVS. Updates include:

* More ships, obviously -- I'm proud to announce that we're only missing the WC2 Bloodfang as far as fighters go.

* All the cockpits have been retrieved and put into high resolution with the exception of the Wraith and Jrathek from Academy (the Armada variants exist).

* Some of my original work.

* Missiles, turrets etc. now have their own section.

* A lot of cockpits already exist in the Vegastrike format, notably all the WC1 cockpits.
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Allright!

Better get my ass back to the Bengal...
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

There's a major update to the ship pack coming up -- as a preview, I uploaded the Bloodfang from WC2, which means we now have ALL the fighters that ever appeared in WC!!!
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

There's a major update to the ship pack coming up -- as a preview, I uploaded the Bloodfang from WC2, which means we now have ALL the fighters that ever appeared in WC!!!
My Moral Code:
baba2007
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by baba2007 »

Can someone include the latest file lin zip or rar format?
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

Is 5.2 available somewhere? It seems sourceforge only has 0.4.0.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

You're talking about the shippack, I suppose?
I got version 5.1 on my server.
http://deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/WCU-shippack-5.1.zip
Beowulf
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Beowulf »

I had hoped to get 5.2, but I think this will do as well. Thanks :)
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way, will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn
shadowsoul
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by shadowsoul »

first of all, thank you very much guys for what you have done with wing commander, it`s very impresive.
im not a person with much knoledge, just some c++, autocad and photoshop knoledge, as well, i have worked with computers all my life, so i think it`s not so bad

i would be glad to help out with whatever i can about this game, it`s so absolutely amazing that this is happening :D all of the wing commanders in one big masterpiece.... damn good!

well, if someone wants to fill me in on what can i do about it, i would be glad

beforehand, thank you very much!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome shadowsoul you might like to check out the link in Chuck's sig as well for an other Wing Commander forum for this mod 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

shadow: I think your skills would be perfect for creating the new bumpmaps and normal maps required....

you first find all the panel lines on a model and draw black lines there....
then you go ahead and find a photoshop normal map exporter from here
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html
or

http://www.ca3d-engine.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15

and get a nice normal map

The vega strike folks could use someone with these skills to do the same, now that we have normal map support there too
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

shadowsoul wrote:first of all, thank you very much guys for what you have done with wing commander, it`s very impresive.
im not a person with much knoledge, just some c++, autocad and photoshop knoledge, as well, i have worked with computers all my life, so i think it`s not so bad

i would be glad to help out with whatever i can about this game, it`s so absolutely amazing that this is happening :D all of the wing commanders in one big masterpiece.... damn good!

well, if someone wants to fill me in on what can i do about it, i would be glad

beforehand, thank you very much!
Hey, shadowsoul; glad to see you here. I got an email failiure report from the pu website. It tried to send you email for you to confirm your registration there as shadowsoul, but the email didn't exist. Looks like you made a spelling mistake when you entered it. I could not help you without knowing your correct email, so I deleted the registration. Please try again.

The bumpmap idea is good, if you'd like to do that; but we're about to start redoing all the privateer ships, and this will include cleaning up the meshes a bit, and making better unwraps for them. So, yes, we're about to start a big "texturathon", and you can be part of it if you'd like. The work will be easier than it sounds; basically I can give you unwrap templates for each ship which you can use as background reference, and then you could greate a texture for grooves, another for rivets, another for paint, and a few others; then we take those simple textures and put them through a processor that comes up with dirt trails, scratches, rust. It's looking to be fun.
shadowsoul
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by shadowsoul »

ok im up for it!!! it sounds good to me, what should i start with? i already downloaded all the versions of the games, noticed some strange thigs with the cockpits, and some stuff
something that i did noticed strange was the planets dimesions difference and map display problems, i don`t know if those are in the patches since i can`t get them, seems i don`t have permision in sipirt`s page.
as for the cockpits, i can work on whatever you want me to, it`s all good :D, actually, before offering myself for help i started working on the ferret cockpit from wc2 :)

well, im cheking the page fo further instructions every day.

as for the meshes, i would like to have them, and for the bump maps and normal maps... im not getting much the meaning (i don`t understand much what that means since english is my second lenguage :P sorry about that :P)
running on a core2duo 2.33 FB 1333, 2gigs ram, nvidia 7950 gtoc 512, motherboard dg33bu intel, creative audigy 2zs platinum. custom case
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

It's not a WCU project; it's a PU project. WCU is dormant at the moment. And the project hasn't quite started yet; we need to resolve how the texturing pipeline and the (new) shaders will work together, and once that's done we'll start fixing up meshes and re-unwrapping; so it will be, I'm just guessing, two more weeks before we have texturing work to do. But once it starts it will go very fast, and we'll cover all the Privateer ships and stations. And what I was saying was, you tried to register at the PU forum
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/index.php
But you entered your email incorrectly. I know because I got an automatic email from the forum software that it gave up trying to email shadowsoul.
Try registering again, and make sure your email is correct.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

People have asked occasionally about Shippack 5.2; but all I had that spiritplumber had put on my server was 5.1
Well, I just heard from her, and it's all in svn; I reposted her emails at wcjunction here:
WCU Shippack 5.2