Model: Luxury Goods

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Model: Luxury Goods

Post by Zeog »

I was doing some of the smaller stuff. Here is a textured version of a luxury goods container. 320 triangels. There is also a PPL-map.

If someone feels he can do a major improvement on that texture I can supply him with an easy to draw on color-coded version (every face on the model has a different color, so you can easily identify wich part of the texture image maps to wich face). Just for your infomarion: this image has no shadows (everything you see is on that texture).

Any comments or suggentions are very welcome!
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Interesting. I'm not sure if the engine currently supports seperate cargo meshes depending on the type of cargo inside. I doubt that it would be too hard to add such support, though (at least compared to shaders and netplay). :wink:
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Hey, cool. Keep this up and I can use pics of the models to replace Cargo Artwork for display when buy/selling cargo!
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Hehe, your responses are very surprising indeed. In fact, there was a request to model that very cargo-item somewhere in the old forum. It is a part of the WCU I believe. Here is an original screenshot:
It is a real pain though to model all those details one can see in the blueprint AND staying below the magic 350 tricount. :(
ack2000
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by ack2000 »

Nice texturing on that model. I like it.

I feel your pain on the poly count.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Ah, in that case, this thread should be moved to the WCU forum.
Silverain
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by Silverain »

Halleck wrote:Ah, in that case, this thread should be moved to the WCU forum.
True, we couldn't use that particular one for VS due to IP problems. An original version, though, that's something else.
THOUGHT CRIME! [points finger] THOUGHT CRIME!
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

That looks fantastic. Can you crank out more? :)
Zeog
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Zeog »

Hehe, I did a little update on that texture (just refined it a little). But how do I get it into the game (WCU and Privateer, maybe VS?), where do I send it to?

Further, here is a textured model of "advanced fuels" which should also not fly around in ordinary boxes when left over from a ship's explosion. For the sake of conveniece I included the original picture at the lower right corner (taken from Privateer). (I'm sorry that I didn't exacly replicate all the colors. :? ) The minimum nuber of tris for this model is 112. (The picture is two times subdivided. :wink: ) Same question here: how do I get it into the game?

Does anyone care about highres renderings for the cargo-buying/selling-screen? (What are the dimensions of such a picture? Transparent background or colored?)

Comments and remarks are very welcome!

(A PPL-map is also available for that model.)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Those are wonderful and I will be very happy to put them in WCU! Especially the fuel (for tankers).

I have a problem though, and that is -- those models are a bit TOO detailed... I may have to scale down the poly count in the interest of playability, reason being that you usually see lots of cargo boxes at once.

Wonderful work!
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Less than 400 tris is great for cargo :) my email is spiritplumber at gmail dot com , drop me a line and i'll put your stuff in.
My Moral Code:
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Getting it into VS might be difficult, because it looks very similar to items based off Wing Commander IP (intellectual property) and VS wants to be separate from any IP of that nature. If you were to create new items that did not correspond to any known game's IP suite, they'd probably love to include it.

Over at WCU, we're Wing Commander oriented anyways so this is perfect. Many thanks! Just shoot an email to spiritplumber and we'll start plugging them in right away.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

My position re IP is:

(1) It's a fan game, of COURSE it's based off WC IP. Duh.

(2) None of us are doing this for profit (although it's a nice thing to put on a resume ^-^ )

(3) EA can kiss my shiny metal ass. They ruined C&C and they ruined WC, as far as I'm concerned, so I'm taking care of it. (In another life I did the Wasteland Wars and Tiberian Horizon mods for Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun). I'll stop working on this stuff the moment they resurrect either, but not before.
My Moral Code:
pifactorial
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by pifactorial »

What crouton meant was that VegaStrike wants to use all-original content, so JackS might not approve of using the same artwork in VS as WCU. There's no reason why this won't be included in WCU.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

I thought that was what I said anyways. Hmm.. ;)