Standalone installer.

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

No, I said it's *almost* re-done; I'm working at max speed I can on this
code to process the comm speaches. Might all be done as soon as tomorrow or monday. I'll be done with the software in the next hour or two, then it's
on klauss' hands, so I can't give you a better prediction when it will be ready.
It depends on klauss' time and resources too. But it will probably be a day or two. So wait, don't announce the download yet on CNN. Just give us a day or two.
When we're done, klauss will update the tar in my server, and we'll let you know.
Try and get linux and mac installers working in the meantime.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Let me know when you want to upload it...
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

The installer is made, it downloads a self-extracting SoundPack based on user input, and it works damn near perfect. :)

So I request a nice WCU splash screen, and maybe a new icon. That'll wrap things up on this particular task.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

supercool! Can't help you with those though... Cyberium did a very cool WCU intro at some point, but I lost it in a drive crash >_<
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

supercool! I say too. I finished the software for klauss, btw, so the ball is in his court now; I'll be working with mkruer on an sql experiment for a while.
@spirit: Ouch! >_<
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Yeah, I remember Cyberion's but the WCNews forum got heavily snipped. Couldn't find it.

I'll post a request here and over on WCNews, maybe Cyberion or someone else can help.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

There may be better options than NSIS. For instance, I'm fairly sure that Autopackage is more portable.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

From what I'm reading, autopackage is Linux only so I don't get the 'more portable' part. NSIS is Windows only, and I don't have a Mac so I don't know what options there are for that platform.

It's a start, at least.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

My word, you're totally right. I just assumed autopackage was cross-platform... I was so wrong!

So either a portable installer should be used [one that supports Win, Lin, and Mac] or somebody will have to create separate installers for each platform. Perhaps the latter option might be better in that platform-specific installers tackle platform specific eccentricities better [registry on Windows, dependencies on Linux, etc].
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

A single multi-platform installer would likely be a nightmare. VegaStrike itself is separated into Mac, Linux, and Win32. If it were possible to use one program to create those 3 different installers, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I think we're stuck using different programs for each installer.

Autopackage appears to be exactly what we want for the Linux installer. It checks dependencies, works with/around root access, provides a graphical uninstall option, etc...

So, thus far we have:

Linux - Autopackage
Win32 - NSIS (essentially complete)
Mac - No idea
cactuarX3
Explorer
Explorer

installer

Post by cactuarX3 »

Wait, so is the installer completed? I'm through with trusting myself to make WCU work.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Few more days; 2 more for comm sounds, maybe a couple more for a couple of engine tweaks.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

The loki installer has been working nicely for the priv remake. (2 cents)
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

cactuarX3: It's ready, just waiting for content to be finished up. Spirit will probably release a WinRAR executable at that time.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Upload exists at http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-devel.zip

A few new ships, a couple of interface improvements, and a new tractor beam system which is more like wc3/4/priv.

Synced with 1.2.
My Moral Code: