Trouble with "Sol" and "Alpha Centauri"

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Kjetil H
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Trouble with "Sol" and "Alpha Centauri"

Post by Kjetil H »

Hello.

I am enjoying the WCU patch of the VegaStrike. Actually I did play Privateer on my computer in the "old days".

I have installed Privateer version 1.0 and the WCU-patch.

When I got to Sol for the first time, there were a large number of stations and planets to go to. So far, so good. When landing on Earth, it is only a relay station there. No people, no commerce, no nothing. That is strange. Also there were a mining base there, but after I jumped to Alpha Centauri and back to Sol, that mining base was gone (why?).

In Alpha Centauri i find two jump-points going to....Alpha Centauri (yes, I jumped several times, and ended up in the very same system as i originated). Then I tried to jump out, but got to a system with only one jump-point (and that was back to Alpha Centauri).

I jumped back to Sol, and the mining base was gone (as explained in the above paragraph).

I have no idea why this happens, but have you ever seen anything like this in testing or in the real remake-game?

Thanks for patiently reading this post. I would be happy to get info on how this can be possible.

Yours Sincerely
Kjetil H
Oslo, Norway
When can I buy a space-station in WCU?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Yes, the "scripted" systems outside Gemini are broken. This is a known issue. Thanks for the information, though -- it's stuff that will not get fixed until the spaceships and space stations are all done, unless someone wants to fix them for us. :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Kjetil H
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Thank you for the info

Post by Kjetil H »

Hello.

Thank you for the information about the "scripted" systems. I appreciate this quick and informative reply.

A question arises for me then. Will there be any place where I could follow the development to see what systems are fixed (let's say on a monthly basis) and which file I would have to download to get the fully updated systems to work in my game?

I know about the WCU-patch files called something like "data-update-rar", but at the Privateer homepage I cannot seem to find the "update-date" of those files.

Thanks for the info again, and good luck in developing the Wing Commander Universe mod. I'm sorry I am not a programmer. I am only a gamer. I would not know how to help with this, sorry.

Yours Sincerely
Kjetil H
Oslo. Norway.
When can I buy a space-station in WCU?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

There hasn't been an update in a while -- if you want to see what systems are scripted, look around in the Priv Remake directory structure, you will find sectors/gemini or sectors/sol and so on. Systems that have a filename in there are scripted, the others are auto generated.
My Moral Code:
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

The scripted systems outside of Gemini sector (there were only a very few) should have all been fixed a long time ago. I know I sent them (along with two or three systems in the Gemini sector that someone pointed out to me) to a couple of people because CVS hated me, but I am not entirely sure who that was. I think Spiritplumber (and|or) Crouton, but do not hold me to that.

There is a slight chance I still have them around here somewhere, if no one knows what I am talking about.

-thehawk
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I never got them! If you have them please send them over
spiritplumber /at/ gmail.com
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I never got them! If you have them please send them over
spiritplumber /at/ gmail.com
My Moral Code:
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

*chuckles* That was probably three and some months and seven O/S reloads ago. Lemmie dig, and see what I can find. Otherwise, I will pull down the newest build from your place and fix them again (I know where the problems were) and get it back to you.

-thehawk
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Is this the file of which you speak, hawk? You sent this to me back in March.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

A-yup, that is the one. And as I am looking thru the files in the wcdevel.zip Spiritplumber threw up today, I recognize some of my handywork, so I am not sure why things are not working correctly for Kjetil. The first thing that comes to mind is that an old version is being used.

*grins* Since I have downloaded all this stuff, I will give it a go-thru and see what I can see.

Kejtil: What version of WCU are you using? It has been quite a while, so I am not sure where you can look to tell you. Anyone?

-thehawk
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

1) Okay, I think I found the problem. Give me a little while to get them cleaned up, and I will post it somewhere. I also think I figured out why things are disappearing when going from Sol to Alpha Centauri and back to Sol.

2) There are indeed two jump points in Alpha Centauri that lead to Alpha Centauri. Whether or not it is supposed to be like this I cannot say, only that the system was like that when I got it- I just cleaned things up.

-thehawk, systems engineer
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

awesome, thanks!
My Moral Code:
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Okay.

The short story is that it is all working for me now.

The slightly longer story is that I made the WCUNIVERSE.XML file, the sector/system names and the in-file destination attributes all match up. This includes the scripted Sol, Enigma, and Gemini (mostly just out-sector jump points were honked) sectors. I used the 'wcu-devel.zip' file Spiritplumber threw up earlier today for my starting point.

To use this file:
WARNING: I can NOT recommend you use this with an in-progress campaign. I do not have one of those to play with, and I do not know what all might be affected. In addition, I have always kept my Priv:R and WCU directories totally separate, because I -do- like to monkey with things.
1) You need to be in the Troy system before you start this process. I touched a handful of systems in the process of doing this, and I do not know what all the effects are if you are saved in a system that you are about to monkey with.
2) Delete everything in your ./.privateer100\sectors\wcuniverse.xml directory. This will get rid of all of the scripted systems, including the ones that are honked up. So far as I can tell they are honked up because they do not exist in the WCUNIVERSE.XML the same way they are being called from the destination attribute in the jump tag of the system you are jumping from. This results in a system being autogenerated, but since there is nothing in WCUNIVERSE.XML to tell the engine what to generate, it is empty except for the jump node you just came thru.
3) Back up your existing ./Sectors directory, just in case. I had no problems at all, but I cannot guarantee that for everyone.
4) Extract this file to the root of your WCU directory, overwriting the current contents of your ./Sectors directory with the new stuff.
5) Feedback is encouraged! I have to know wazzup if it is still broken so's I can fix it.

In the process of this, I discovered a few things.

1) As I posted before, there is indeed two jump points in the Alpha Centauri system that go to the Alpha Centurai system. In digging some more, it looks like what happened is the Alpha Centurai and the Proxima Centauri systems were mushed together, which accounts for the out of place names, and the two extra jump points.

Easy enough to fix, but I need to know where the data came from to script the system so I can properly seperate things. If they are 'just thrown together' then let me know that too, and I will take care of it.

2) The jump points to Sol system (I only know Alpha Centauri for sure, but possibly the one in Sirius as well, I know I took more than one route to Sol from Troy and I think they were both like this) are acting -weird-. Like they are moving away from the ship as you try to get closer. I have to use the afterburners (1000 KPS) to get close enough to jump.

3) The current list of scripted systems:
-Gemini: All
-Sol: Alpha Centurai, Celeste, Sirius, Sol
-Enigma: Defiance, Enigma, Heavens Gate, Klondike, Niven

That is all I know.

-thehawk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thehawk
Merchant
Merchant

Post by thehawk »

Oh! I remembered one other thing.

5) In Sol/Sol, either the sun is too big, or Earth is in the wrong place. I am guessing Earth is in the wrong place based on where the moon, the Earth Drydock facility, and Venus are. Could someone smarter than me take a look at the sol.system file and tell me?

Much appreciated.

-thehawk