Concerning 3D Models...

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Concerning 3D Models...

Post by BradMick »

Greets,

Well, i just got my hands on the WCU meshes...and was browsing through them, and in taking a look at the textures on three of the ships that i did, i can across a....startling discovery.

they look like crap.

someone has obviously gone out of their way to kill the work that i put into them to make them look good. the centurion is now this unholy piece of model junk, the galaxy lacks its details, and the tarsus looks awful as well. whoever is doing this, i have to please ask that you stop reducing the models. i'm not going to spend hours at a time creating a highly accurate and detailed mesh only to have it destroyed by someone. that will quickly result in 0 (zero) new models being produced. the idea is not to create uber high qaulity to then tear it apart. i promise that i'm going to do my job and do everything as low as possible, so i request now that you trust my modeling judgement and do not tamper with the work, and i should probably expand this to more than just me. any modeler who models a ship at the new standard (8k tris or less) should NOT have his work destroyed. it totally defeats the purpose of having these new models made. i'll work on replacing the offending meshes as i get the time too. i'll put together model packs or something as things get done. with the semester almost over, i'll actually have some time for some serious modeling work.

anyway, just...a concern, and annoyance at finding this out.
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Are you refering to wcuniverse\units\factions\confed\centurion\centurion.lq, or the one in the priv\units\centurion Directory? AFASK no one has made any change to the the wcuniverse\units Directory other then Sorting out models and converting. So if you want to store it that would be the place.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm using what was given to me ^^; the only thing I do graphics wise is make sure the textures aren't mirrored, and fit the exhausts - weapons - turrets - gun mounts locations. I'm not qualified to do graphics work so I try to leave it alone -- the only thing I did was the pirate paint job on the drayman. :)
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Concerning 3D Models...

Post by charlieg »

BradMick wrote:someone has obviously gone out of their way to kill the work that i put into them to make them look good. the centurion is now this unholy piece of model junk, the galaxy lacks its details, and the tarsus looks awful as well.
Your making assumptions and jumping to conclusions.

Your models might not yet have been put into WCU because nobody has done it yet. Or you might be looking in the wrong place and looking at some older versions. Your conclusion that somebody is messing up the models is the least likely scenario and, even if it is the case, would in all likelyhood be totally accidental.

Ask first. Assume last.
BradMick
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by BradMick »

hmm.....i know that for sure the galaxy and tarsus are totally just....man, its pretty awful.

i was looking in the WCU file. the priv remake file has everything as it was when i originally sent the models, i guess that my assumption that WCU just used the models which were already in the remake was incorrect. In comparing the two i just noticed that there were a lot of wrong things going on. i apologize. guess just a little freak out mode at seeing what looked like model reverse engineering.

well, now that thats resolved.

for those interested, this is my modeling que:

1) finish the Draymans textures
2) UV Map and texture my Tarsus, Galaxy, and Centurion
3) Finish my Gladius
4) Finish my Kamekh
5) ---- up in the air. i'll start assembling a list and have everything based on priority after looking through the SVN again.

once again, sorry for the freakout. scared me when i saw that.

Brad Mick
LightWave nerd extrodanaire...

"Who need drugs when you got Brad? He's a trip enough already!' - stoner friend of mine...
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

I hope you can finish the list Brad would greatly come along with my timetable :)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Again, if you want me to use better models, please send them over and I'll make sure they plop in seamlessly! :)

Not sure what happened about priv vs. wcu models and textures. Theo nly thing I changed was the Broadsword, I removed the fixed gun turrets from the mesh so that I could fit on actual turrets.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

What happened was simple. In the rush to get the Privateer Remake out, the WCU branch was never updated.

mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

The Model Trust is looking for a top tier texture creator. This person will be responsible for creating/recreating texts in the WCU so all ships have a consistent look and feel.

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If anyone cares, I have the possible-final for the ingame flight AI.
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

We all care, spirit! :)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yes! send it on over!
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/