Code update

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Code update

Post by spiritplumber »

Code update at

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-code.rar (~700k)

Changes:

Annoying random jump bug fixed (hopefully).

Cargo mission fix: On bases, outgoing cargo missions are related to what the base actually produces

Wingman fix: Changed the AI a bit, plus more likely to hire Hunter wingmen, and military wingmen can only be hired very very occasionally

Autogen fix: Simulated battles now count capship classes correctly, and news reports are generated better for those.

(Can someone do the CVS commit please? I cannot right now -- various reasons)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Code update

Post by chuck_starchaser »

spiritplumber wrote:Annoying random jump bug fixed (hopefully).
Indeed, I can now fly to New Det! Thanks, Spirit!
Cargo mission fix: On bases, outgoing cargo missions are related to what the base actually produces
This doesn't seem to work. I was at Burton (agricultural) and all the cargo missions were of anything BUT agricultural products. Now I'm in New Det and there are no cargo missions at all.

I noticed something else is fixed: Coming out of AUTO no longer preserves the momentum vector from prior to AUTOing. Yeeeha! Thank you, Mamiya!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Try on a base, planets aren't done yet (I would have, but I cant' find out how to retrieve the planet type)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I started a new game, and now it seems to work both for bases and for planets. This is great! This was a sorely missing feature in the original game. I love it when things make sense. ;-)

Noticed another improvement not mentioned: Planets and bases are better stocked. I don't have to quit the game and restart it every 10 minutes to have the bases in Troy restocked, anymore.

Sorry to bring back asteroids. They keep getting better and better. Their not moving around so much was a great improvement. Their reduced numbers was another. Their varied shapes and sizes is great. And the textures keep improving too, though they aren't quite *asteroid* textures; more like decorative stone textures. They need to be smoother (guraud-shaded), and have many little craters. This would help being able to tell their great size. Right now one can only tell they are big by the speed they pass by at full afterburner; a mental calculation; for if one is to judge by their looks alone, they look like rocks a few dozen feet away.

There is another element that is ruining one's perception of speed, and therefore of distances: Those pieces of cardboard passing by or hitting the windshield: They look cool, but they completely ruin one's sense of speed, because their speed is completely wrong: They hit the windshield as if you were going at 100 klicks per hour, NOT 100 klicks per SECOND. So, I guess I'm requesting their removal, as I see no way to 'fix' the problem, since they simply wouldn't be visible if they were moving at a realistic speed. And if they were really there, they'd probably cause damage to the ship, at the speeds we're talking about, anyways...
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Asteroids: I agree, I need to redo them. I'm really going for the WC3 style asteroids. (If you blow one up, it spawns a few WC2 style asteroids -- if you blow one of THOSE up, it spawns some smaller rocks you can tractor in and sell as iron or tungsten ore).

Cardboard: It was there in the original though... I don't mind it.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

spiritplumber wrote:Asteroids: I agree, I need to redo them. I'm really going for the WC3 style asteroids. (If you blow one up, it spawns a few WC2 style asteroids -- if you blow one of THOSE up, it spawns some smaller rocks you can tractor in and sell as iron or tungsten ore).
Spirit, the large asteroids should be completely indestructible. By my speed and flyby time calculations, they are HUNDREDS of kilometers across. But no problem, though: You can still mine asteroids, because wherever there are full sized asteroids, there's likely to be many smaller ones. I think the largest asteroid one should be able to destroy with energy weapons would be something in the range of, say 10 meters to 100 meters?!!, take your pick, but NOT something 100 kilometers in size. By the way, the small rocks could use the current textures. It's the large ones that need cratered surfaces. The small rocks would probably orbit the large ones. VERY slowly, though, as the gravitational attraction of an asteroid is in the order of milli-G's, if not micro-G's.
Cardboard: It was there in the original though... I don't mind it.
No, in the original, you saw little points, like one pixel in size, passing by. This did not distort your sense of speed, because there was no way to tell how distant they were, or how big were the objects they represented. Whereas now, with the cardboard pieces actually hitting your windshield sometimes, you know how big they are, and how fast they are going; and you tend to assume that you're moving through space at 100 or 200 kilometers per hour, without even thinking about it. And at such speed, it would seem as if the asteroids are about 200 meters to a kilometer away, and measure 50 or 100 meters across. Pretty much the scale of like driving a car in the high speed lane of a highway, and watching some large buildings go by. That's a completely distorted sensation, which contradicts the fact that at similar distance and speed, planets seem to pass by at the same speed as asteroids. And planets are TENS OF THOUSANDS of kilometers across. Everything gets distorted and screwed up, and the main culprit are those cute cardboard pieces. I like them too, but they ruin all sense of proportion.

EDIT:
As a matter of fact, Spirit, I can prove to you that the cardboard chunks confused the hell out of YOU: The very fact that you were thinking about being able to "destroy asteroids", *the way they are now* (gargantuous) means to me that you thought they were much smaller than they really are. Am I right or am I right? And what made you feel they were so much smaller than they really were? Well, the textures used for them are part of it, I'm sure; but also because you did not think you were going THAT fast (~500 kilometers PER SECOND, twenty times the speed at which Spirit and Opportunity entered the Martian atmosphere). Think about it! And what was it, that was giving you the idea you were moving so much slower?
Indeed!: The cardboard chunks.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
warzog
Trader
Trader

Post by warzog »

I love the Banshee, just wish it was more upgradable.
And coming out of Auto next to your target, instead of only a few thousand meters closer is fantastic!
Oh, and the extra cash is always handy!

One question, though...
After reinstalling everything, and starting a new game, I started the new game floating in space near Perry.
Is that supposed to happen?
At the very least, I thought we were supposed to start ON a base.
Watch your six!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I had to REupdate because there was ANOTHER similar bug... so very sorry.

And yes, you're supposed to start out in the open :) Get the code update again, and land on Munchen, then go to the bar.
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

Has anyone found a way to make subunits carry cargo or spawn cargo when they are destroyed?
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

mat_yarrow wrote:Has anyone found a way to make subunits carry cargo or spawn cargo when they are destroyed?
I think this would actually be good in the regular Vega Strike as well. I think a tug should be pushing or pulling large cargo containers. Perhaps a chain of them. Probably wouldn't work as I would envision where you can purchase a cargo container to attach to your ship and additional containers would attach to the previous one (like a train). Then again, the code is open... anything is possible. :)
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

smbarbour wrote:... additional containers would attach to the previous one (like a train). Then again, the code is open... anything is possible. :)
--"Easy on the breaks, man! Told you to forget the backspace key!" :D
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

Asteroid fields, with asteroids carrying ore as subunits, don't seem to work in the April 6, 2005 update of Wing Commander: Universe . Asteroid mining seems to work if the asteroids carrying ore are placed in the systems as units, but not as subunits.
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

The ship with a cargo container attached sounds a lot like the Dorkritha in WC:U (the kiltransport in units.csv which uses the pakthan.bfxm).
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

That was indeed the idea :)

What happens is this:

If you give cargo capacity to a subunit, it will increase the parent unit's cargo capacity.

If you make a subunit dockable, it will be dockable independtent from the parent unit.

If you put cargo or cargo import IN a subunit, it will be ejected upon distruction (This trick is used for the mineable asteroids)
mat_yarrow
Hunter
Hunter

Post by mat_yarrow »

Could this be related to how turret mounted tractor beams function? (the tractor on the turret snags the targetted cargo or unit, but the hold of the main unit is used for storage).
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Is it just me or is everything in the units.csv file a MilSpec ship, including the Centurions and Tarsus's on sale?

Also, how do we adjust that?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

what's for sale is listed in master_parts_list.csv
you can adjust it there or take it out without affecting the AI ships
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/