mission computer interface

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
kilolima
Merchant
Merchant

mission computer interface

Post by kilolima »

Would it be too difficult to take the current mission computer interface features and graft it into a nice, authentic PDA or base computer style graphic?

see these gallery shots:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... WIP?full=1

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/galle ... nterface_2

Like the pipBoy in Fallout, or the SirOS laptop in Jagged Alliance, or even the mission computers in the original Privateer, I think that a clever interface can really help a game feel immersive.

cheers,

kilolima
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Abso-flippin-lutely!, I say. Been saying for a while, the vegastrike screens for commodity exchange, ship upgrades and missions are more functional than the original, but break the artistic continuity of the original game, and become an obstacle with immersiveness. The first of the two pics would be perfect for a mission terminal: dirty, roughed up, with blood stains... perfect.

Wonder if it is too perfect in fact... Not if the planet screens and the rest of the art will also be changed to high res, of course.

Now that I think about it, the inside of ships should be updated too, making 3D models, moving the screens to provide greater visual field. The reason the original game had so much useless fill up material on the dashboards was in fact to reduce the field of view, in order to reduce computations and increase framerate. That's no longer necessary... Wonder if I could try and model ships' insides with Wing3D...
Penta
Trader
Trader

Post by Penta »

Well, waitasec.

I'm thinking we should make a "Factory New" version, for places like NC, Perry, Oxford, etc.

Then, a kinda roughed up version for other places.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Cool! I liked the pipboy -- I liked all of fallout's quasi-fifties interfaces actually.
DrunkAnvil63
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by DrunkAnvil63 »

This was one of my first thoughts after playing the remake. The VS system for missions, trading, and cargo is awful. The remake was awesome and I am looking forward to the progress in WCU even more, but a pipboy type interface would make both so much better.

Carl
crouton
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by crouton »

Hi folks.

Those screenshots look pretty cool, but they're flat. The QUINE 5000? comppad for Privateer had 'buttons' that moved.

It wouldn't take a lot to make static buttons, and possibly a little more effort to have moving buttons. The only problem is if the interface changes from sector to sector (or system to system)... It might be worthwhile to come up with a subteam or todo list for comp interfaces.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Exactly. The computer code needs to have a plug-in interface that can take any number of "skins".