Request -- Asteroids

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Request -- Asteroids

Post by spiritplumber »

Can someone model some asteroids?

Requisites:

-1 big rock per mesh. Small fragments around the big rock are OK if they are small.

-Not too many polygons, there's going to be a hundred of these onscreen at one time.

-Small texture.

-Any format you want.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Request -- Asteroids

Post by mkruer »

spiritplumber wrote:Can someone model some asteroids?

Requisites:

-1 big rock per mesh. Small fragments around the big rock are OK if they are small.

-Not too many polygons, there's going to be a hundred of these onscreen at one time.

-Small texture.

-Any format you want.
Done. Long long ago, just never made it into PRIV branch.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

thanks, where are they? :) (as in can i download em, i'm actually getting somewhere with destroyable 'roids)
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I know its probably too late, but here are the models I promised you. random_asteroids_new.rar 3.22MB

There is a collection of 4 different asteroids, each with 5 levels of detail, this should allow you to have models is size from a few meters to tens of kilometers, without any noticeable edges. There are also 3 different high quality 512x256 textures. I was planning to have it when you destroy an asteroid split the models into 4-8 smaller asteroid chunks, just like the game “Asteroidsâ€
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I tried to work on them with Wings3D but it is hopeless. What I wanted to add was fragmentation models, for when asteroids are blown up with guns.

Anyways, the textures all look great, but just keep in mind that in the real world, floating chunks of ice are much more frequent than rocks.

Hey! What an Idea I just got! Ice chunks can be blown up with guns, but not rocks. Ice chunks are more common, but you can clear the way ahead by keeping the guns blazing; but watch out for the ice chunk that wasn't!!! ;-)

Maybe Ice chunks could look like big snowballs, have a single, somewhat spherical model, but many different sizes, and are grayish but glitter.

What does everybody think about that? Imagine this asteroid field with very large asteroids that hardly move, medium rocks that are a bit more common and move a little faster and have random spins, then medium and small snowballs you can blow up, and pebbles that sometimes hit your windshield and armor making plink noises. All that plus fog...