[Censored] Asteroids - Game Deleted

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
morki
Explorer
Explorer

[Censored] Asteroids - Game Deleted

Post by morki »

Just wanted to tell you, that I was really angry yesterday. Because there was a full row of those "fly there, then fly there"-missions in the later plotline, where you have scan several points inside asteroid-fields. My ship crashed several times, because sometimes there are such very fast moving asteroids, which hit you from behind ... so you can't try to avoid them ... (I always fly with outside-view (F5) in thoses fields).

Just wanted to tell, 'cause it is really annoying! :evil:
And the save-option just in bases is also fuck! Why not saving everywhere in space or at least at jump points?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Asteroids seem to piss everyone off ^^; I'm working on it.
Acimus
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by Acimus »

What, should asteroids be there just for everyone's pleasure? Or no asteroids is better? After all, they're asteroids for god's sake :shock:

Some even say that they aren't nearly as dangerous as in original Privateer, so what if one hits you from behind? You'll lose half or so of your shields? Oh dear. And I recently INCREASED collision damage value in vegastrike.config to make asteroids a bit more exciting... :P
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I personally like asteroids better WC3 style, I would be fine with them as they are now if they were destroyable. Then you have the purists who want them strict WC1/WC2/Priv stlye...
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

Personally, I think it would be better if asteroids were destroyable and did more damage. That way they'd be more exciting AND a bit easier to avoid. also, it would be really nice if you could tell you turrets to target asteroids (nudge, wink).
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."-Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn
Long live the Confederation!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

morki: There are many ways to constructively make your point. Posting a thread with profanities, in both the title and the body, really engenders little sympathy. If anything, it makes people think "glad he/she has deleted the game, 'cos we won't have to hear him/her again."
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I'm working on it... problem is, everyone has their idea on what they want asteroid wise (again, I prefer WC3 style). For what I like, see any system outside of Gemini. Now I am thinking of an "asteroid style" global variable somewhere.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

As in the original, you can save only on bases. From another thread you swore in, there is no repair all as there was none in the original. If you don't like this stuff, you'd be better off playing a remake of a different game.

Charlieg summed up my thoughts pretty well. kthxbye
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

You can also save on capital ships (ships you can dock with).
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

well, I agree, Asteroids should be destroyable.

in original privateer one had to decrease speed a LOT to avoid collisions, as to 200-300, prefferably. otherwise one hit would whack your ship.
that made the reconnaisance missions in beta and delta especially cunning.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

fizze: I think his point is that the asteroids now travel too fast because at those speeds they smash into the back of your ship.
fizze
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by fizze »

could well be the point, I donno, as the installer wont work on my rig *shrugs*

i just tried to state out how it felt in the original priv for me.
0.02$
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I create some asteroids that were more like the WC original though not destructible into smaller fragments, but never got around to actually getting them converted into bxfm format mainly because of the LOD issues.

I will see what i can do
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I personally like WC3/WC4 style asteroids best.
kilolima
Merchant
Merchant

Post by kilolima »

I like asteroids as they are... big, random, from all directions..

as for destroying them.. get real.. these are rocks larger than capships... you think your puny guns could do anything to them?!

Also, the collision damage is best if it is increased a bit.
La_Mirah
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by La_Mirah »

I admit that having the sleek ship I spent upwards of half a million creds on being overtaken by derelict pieces of rock is a bit annoying, but if it's how it can be done, it's how its goig to be done. In Privateer, the asteroids were easily avoided by simply pitching up and down. The asteroids weren't static because generating that many objects on a 486 was simply impossible; by the time WCIII came around, machines were faster and those fields became feasible. Static asteroids are the answer; we just dodge around them as burrows did in the game's intro, as long as the AIs know better than to barrel into every asteroid they find.

Post by Guest »

Imagine a Retro talon with stormfire guns on all hardpoints. Now load really big shells into those stormfires, and have that Retro charge you head on, unloading those stormfires right into your face.
That's how the asteroids in the origional Priv was like, and ppl, I HATED them!! When I found out how to hack them out, out they were post haste.
The asteroids in the remake are at least mostly tolerable compared.
I much prefer the asteroids in WC 4 and Prophecy. You knew where they were and could avoid them even with afterburners. None of this getting hosed by stormfires full of rocks buisness everybody seems to want back.

Verily, I rest my case.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I like WC4-style asteroid better myself, plus they fit more with the size of mining bases -- so that's what I will be using.
Penta
Trader
Trader

Post by Penta »

For those who don't have WC4, mind describing what those roids were like?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Big huge things (twenty times longer than the length of your fighter) that don't move, explode awesomely, and are impossible to crash into without specifically trying to.
Acimus

Post by Acimus »

Funny, I would imagine that asteroid fields in which you can't collide with an asteroid unintentionally would be the most boring thing in the universe... :o What sense would be in astroids if they aren't a bit dangerous?? C'mon, you spoiled babies :lol:
magpie
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by magpie »

^ agree with dude above
Penta
Trader
Trader

Post by Penta »

Well, remember, we use Newtonian physics.

The WC4 roids would be plenty dangerous....
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

They sure would. If you aren't careful with your speed your inertia will carry you right into 'em (crash).
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."-Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn
Long live the Confederation!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

From what I've seen banging against an asteroid is a good way to lose your shields, but there isn't too much armor damage. Then again, I was flying a Drayman at a whopping 200kps at the time...