Mission Computer Dialogue

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Mission Computer Dialogue

Post by Wendy »

I like the fact that you have the destination listed along with jump to SystemName. The only odd thing is you must visit "The Oxford."

Now PLEASE don't get upset, but it sounds like I'm gonna visit a shoe. Well, it COULD be a shirt. . .

Maybe things need to be a bit less articulate? Visit Oxford, or a bit MORE articulate, Vistit the Planet Oxford. Etc. . .

It ain't broke, but it DOES get a quirky smile when I see it. And it isn't just Oxford. Visit the New Constantinople. The Base, The System, or New Constantinople. You already have the jump points straightened out.

Current computers leave the niceties, like articles of speech out. I know this is over six hundred years in the future. But for ease of programming you can take the article THE out of the computer's lingo dbase and I don't think the game will suffer.

Visit jump point to Oxford.
Jump to Oxford
Visit Oxford

It's not as "Nice" but it's not as complex to key in for a fix, either. especially if you do your changes globally with a programme like Ultra Edit.

Comments? Anyone?
=============================
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Mission Computer Dialogue

Post by charlieg »

Wendy wrote:Comments? Anyone?
I, er, agree. ;)
Ari Rahikkala
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

"The Oxford" sounds more like a ship to me...
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

Ari Rahikkala wrote:"The Oxford" sounds more like a ship to me...
Well, that it could be. It sounds "Right" enough, I suppose. But I'm a bit older than some, and when I grew up, Oxfords were lace-up shoes. The standard, thick soled, lace-up, dress-shoe. Usually mens', but saddle shoes (black and white, or cordovan and white, were also called "Oxfords," and more traditionally worn by women. (Circa 1950)

An oxford shirt was the "Standard" long-sleeved, mens' dress-shirt with "Tab" collars. It was a "Button-Down" Oxford if it had collar points that buttoned down to the "Blouse," or shirt-front of the garment.

Thus my reasoning.

Thanks though. :)
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================