Reason for forum move

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Reason for forum move

Post by hellcatv »

One of our users, specifically Wendy, was banned on the other forum.
It was a temporary ban, but it really caused an air of hositlity.
Since I cannot control banning on the other forum, we're forced to move the privateer forums here :-)
I hope everyone enjoys this new board and perhaps better color scheme.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

More info

Post by hellcatv »

For reference the old forum is at

http://www.crius.net/zone/forumdisplay.php?f=25
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

A public apology to those I may have offended

Post by Wendy »

hellcat wrote:One of our users, specifically Wendy, was banned on the other forum.
It was a temporary ban, but it really caused an air of hositlity.
Since I cannot control banning on the other forum, we're forced to move the privateer forums here :-)
I hope everyone enjoys this new board and perhaps better color scheme.
Let's not dwell on it and move on. Please?
I'm really sorry that I'm the cause for this. it was never my intent to be seen as "trolling." That I was is unfortunate. I am rather blunt in my interaction style. I was looking for information, it was seen as hostile. It was never meant to be hostile. I'm sorry.

To those that may have taken offense, I appologise.

To the moderators and administrators that have moved the board because of me, I apologise. You should never have had to do this. Yet you felt you had to because of me. That is humbling, that you did so. It is unfortunate that you felt the need to do so.

What I DO wish and actively try to do are:

1: to help others play the game when their computer or the game itself seem to want otherwise.

2: to help the developers make a better game -- I take it as a personal challenge to find the quirks and bugs NOW, before it's released.

3: to make friends in the process.

I am blunt and very straight forward. Please excuse it. It's just the way I am. I'm not "crusin' for a brusin'," nor am I spoiling for a fight. I'm just not very diplomatic.

Thank you
Wendy
=============================
Don't laugh, you ASKED me to break it!
I find television very educational.
Everytime someone turns on a set,
I go in another room and read a book.
--Groucho Marx
==============================
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Good to see you back

Post by hellcatv »

Good to see you :-)

What's going on in that privateer world of yours... looks like we may be seeing the "real" garrovick soon

Would you believe. . .

Post by Guest »

At the risk of sounding like Maxwell Smart of the old 1960's sitcom "Get Smart"
Would you believe. . .I was reading a book?
My husband turned on the TV. :lol:

Actually, reading my e-mail and feeling VERY small. :oops:

It's good to be here.
Vengeance
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Forum Move

Post by Vengeance »

I don't comment in Forums but could not resist here. As Wendy said great to move on because the focus is the Game. But I have to say I being a Privateer Game nut since its creation by Origin have enjoyed reading weekly Wendy's humor and comments. Good Decision to Hellcat and your team.
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Forum Move

Post by Wendy »

Vengeance wrote:I don't comment in Forums but could not resist here. As Wendy said great to move on because the focus is the Game. But I have to say I being a Privateer Game nut since its creation by Origin have enjoyed reading weekly Wendy's humor and comments. Good Decision to Hellcat and your team.
And smaller still.

Thank you
--Groucho Marx
tcat92

Post by tcat92 »

I don't know why, but sometimes when I click on the forum link, the old forum shows up. Goes back and forth. But mostly the new forum comes up. Just and fyi,
Wendy
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Wendy »

tcat92 wrote:I don't know why, but sometimes when I click on the forum link, the old forum shows up. Goes back and forth. But mostly the new forum comes up. Just and fyi,
That's ALMOST an easy answer.

It's dependent upon where you are and where the server for this page is located
You seldom get STRAIGHT to the board. If you look at the internet as your nav-map you'll understand what I mean.

Each node on the map is a system in Gemini. Each node on the map is a server that dishes up the files.

Some servers cache the pages and refresh them every so often. Once every hour or fifteen minutes or something like that.

Now let's look at how you reach here. Think of HERE as New Constantinople.
Think of where YOU are as Pentonville. To get here you jump to 119CE, then you jump to where. . .XXN-1927 or Junction? Either will work. If you go to XXN-1927 you get a Cached server. If you jump to Junction, you don't. Your final jump is to New Constantinople.

If you got the Cached server, your reply is held by the server, but you and everyone that hits that server in your quest to get here sees it right away. If you DON'T get the cached server you get here right away.

Depending on how heavy the traffic is to Junction, your page request might be diverted by 119ce to xxn-1927. You got the cache, and normally you wouldn't notice it. But since the forum has TWO separate locations for a bit you see a "problem"

For a while, maybe a few hours, there will be two forums. Eventually ALL the caching servers will have this page. Then, no matter which node your request went to, you see the correct forum.

A missing "no cache" statement in the non-viewable meta tag section or header of the forums pages at the other site MIGHT be the cause of this.
--Groucho Marx
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

a forum move in itself is inflamatory.
so lets not get ahead of ourselves.

creating turmoil over irrelevant things is, essentially, irrelevant.

ultimately those who like this project will play it, those who don't, won't.

there is absolutely no need to bicker about anything, because the two user groups are innately disjoint, and ultimately any criticisms vice versa logically hold no water.
-------------------------

the original complaint was the low score of privateer-remake on the cic project vote.
ok
so what... the CIC folks have been working as a community on saga and standoff for some time. OF COURSE they will vote more there. why would any one get upset about this? wouldn't people involved with a project for a long time naturally vote for it? privateer remake is a different beast, and is coming in from outside. just be patient, and it will have more recognition as time goes by, and as it gets better, and as people get more exposure to it. don't expect big things from the get go. frankly, raising the issue given the status quo was a bit emotional.

---------------------------
we can just drop this whole deal altogether and move on sensibly.

we can use both forums.
the cic one to talk about privateer in general,
and the VS forum to say anything that isn't suitable to the CIC folks.
no need to muddy any water.

nobody likes flaming, and nobody likes banning either.
they're both just as bad.

like people who spam 'callvote kick <someone>' in quake, are as bad as the hacker they are trying to kick.

a move here is really a move to stop censorship. nobody likes to be squelched.
a ban for anything less than repeated personal attacks is really excessive.

in any case, if you plan on saying things that disagree with what mods at the cic tolerate, just post it here.
else the cic forum is just fine.

the developers read both. so it's not an issue.

-scheherazade
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

a wise response... hmm
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Like I said on the other board, the voting results don't surprise me, nor do they bother me. I'd have been quite happy had they never come up.

Wendy, there's really no need to apologize. From where I sit you did precisely nothing wrong. The ban came fast and out of left field, so we have this place where we can make that call.

Of course we will continue checking the other board, but it is certainly nice to still have this one.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Amusing!

Good news AFAIC. I didn't read the other board anyway. :roll:

Besides, you've gotta get banned from at least one forum. It's like earning your 'net wings'. ;)