The Wing Commander Universe Map (in XML)

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The Wing Commander Universe Map (in XML)

Post by mkruer »

Just a heads up that the first high level map of all the systems in the galaxy is up. You can grab it from here http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/ryl ... /universe/

The next question I guess I have to ask, is for in-system development, just how detailed does everyone want to get? Do you want to stay with the static maps that have been in the game since the beginning or move to more dynamic maps? The latter needing additional discussion, on what is required to make the systems work.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

what do you mean by dynamic maps
if you mean that races can take over systems: that already works
if you mean that races can build starbases that works

the thing that doesn't work is new planets or new systems being "created" tricky that is ;-)

of course we can hide systems and reveal them to players when convenient
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I am inferring to a static system as in no planets move, static nav point. Not a static universe
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
SteelRush
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SteelRush »

While for many years I enjoyed the traditional Wing Commander "static" style, I am sure if Wing Commander was in active commercial production, it would be evolving with what current PC technology allows.
SteelRush
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SteelRush »

I've been giving this alot of thought on how we could impliment a dynamic universe map. We could use the "nav computer" look of the original Privateer, with more detail. What I invision is an overhead 3d view.

The traditional map could show where the planet currently is on it's orbital path. Navpoints that were represented as circles could now but represented in a graphical format. For example, a jump point could be represented as a "jump cloud" rather than a circle. The graphical representation could apply to all.

I have also been thinking about how radar should affect the universe. That is assuming we will have radar as was in Privateer. If we do have it, represented on the map could be your radar range. If you haven't purchased sector maps, then you have to be within radar range to detect objects, jumps, nav points, stations, etc. What I mean by radar range is a circle of a different color around your ship represented on the map. This "bubble" would represent the radar range.