WCU Story Development (WCU:2669 vs. WCU:2683 vs. Others)

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

OK here is the update. I think we pretty much are maxing out the factions IMO. I would be willing to add just two more to the kilrathi so there would be 12 terran and 12 kilrathi factions, but thats it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
Darkmage
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Darkmage »

don't forget to add the mandarin...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Dude. Read first.

Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

Speaking of which, why are the Mandarins in there, anyway? The war is over, it's not like they'd be much of a force anymore. Not to mention it seems kind of silly to have them flying around in Mandarin ships - wasn't the whole point of the Mandarins that they were Confed traitors?
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I guess you could make an argument either way, but the reason why I put them in is because even with the war being over, there would still be those that are sympathetic to the Milrathi. The Mandarins wound not be a major force to be reckoned with, but they would still be there, and most likely large enough exert there own influence. Reading some of the other comments, the Mandarins would probably be helping the Kilrathi is the war against Landreich.

Post by Guest »

Post 2667 (when all their leadership was killed...) the remaining Mandarins pretty much just became uncoordinated low level terrorists. Setting off mail bombs and whatnot (G)
Bob McDob
Trader
Trader

Post by Bob McDob »

Hey, nice to see these forums are active again.

Anyhoo ... I believe you might be interested in this thread. Some good insights ont he Nephilim there to help out whatever plot you're cooking up.

bob[/url]
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

:-) now with the new csv format the WC mod should be a lot easier to work on
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Have to agree with hellcat. I would like to see this mod during the time where Wing Commander 3 takes place. Why continue in an universe of the worst Wing Commander game ever made? I won't miss the bugs but i will miss a strong Kilrathi Empire and the war with the Confederation.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

This is why you are, in my opinion, incorrect:

1. Kilrathi War-era setting would bump up against canon events in WC
2. We wouldn't be able to use a whole crapload of cool ships
3. We can always have some of the Kilrathi clans turn hostile to the Confederation/BorderWorlds/Landreich for those who want to kill kats.
4. There isn't as much room for Landreich/BW autonomy during the war. Fewer effective factions.
5. We'd miss out on all the cool stuff that WCIV (the COOLEST Wing Commander) brought us.

But in the end, I suspect all we'd need to do to switch between pre-WC3 era and the post-Prophecy era is add/subtract ship types, and change a few other things around.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

just cus ships are in prophecy doesn't mean older variants weren't used earlier

hellcatV is the fifth hellcat revision

the hellcat1 was a trainer in the time of WC1 (as evidenced through the academy show)

we can probably work in most ships

and the border worlds were already pissed at confed for not defending them in the older wars...

I do agree that having the mod set in the WC hayday has its advantages... esp with a very obvious foe...
my favorite time is between WC2 and WC3... and yes there are all the WC3 and 4 ships during that time as evidenced in armada...

Anyhow ... that's also conveniently the time of privateer...which is where the mod is currently situated---
what will likely happen is that mod will get developed by the privateer crew and forked off by the post-wCP crew...which is fantastic... they can probably share large swaths of data... in fact probably nearly all of it given that newer ships will just have larger shield quantities, etc.

carefully crafted stats will most likely result in the factions in the map being the only difference between the two
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

a solution to the is to have 'time'

i.e. every day is a year, or something...

and have a dynamic universe with scripted events, or 'AI goals', so that the universe AI builds missions nad takes over areas as the cannon would say happened.

then allow the player to enter those battles, and maybe change the course of history.

this way you can play the game and watch the years go by, and new ships become available, others get retired, etc.

-scheherazade
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

@peteyg

5. We'd miss out on all the cool stuff that WCIV (the COOLEST Wing Commander) brought us.
>That is?

Back in the priv-era, we meet a strong Kilrathi Empire attemting to slave humanity. We've got tons of material about the Kilrathi and the ongoing war much more than about the bug-era. That could all be in the game to visit and experience for a privateer, why wasting all that content?

Of course you could choose an era after wcp and introduce new stuff and factions but you'll loose the spirit of wing commander cause it (my opinion) was always meant to tell the story of the war between the Kilrathi Empire and the Confederation. It ended with wing3, wing4 was something like a fading goodbye - still a lot of fun but nothing like "doing your job to survive" in wc1/2/3. Why do you think the wing commander movie and animated series also took place during the Kilrathi conflict?

3. We can always have some of the Kilrathi clans turn hostile to the Confederation/BorderWorlds/Landreich for those who want to kill kats.
>It's all about having a charming huge Empire out there, not only a few little unimportant furballs or lame bugs.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

Still loking for info on the Kilrathi. Let me know if the percentage work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zel

Post by Zel »

How about you let one of the Clans plot to reastablish the Empire. In one of the far off planetary systems they could try to amass forces and secretly strenghen up to the point they could subdue the rest of the clans.

The Kilrathi Empire is dead long live the new Empire.

Having never played Prophecy and knowing only partly where the Bugs came from isnt there a plot possibility to reduce them to just a minor faction like a they were cut off from the rest of their empire or such?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I personally like the feel of being around beginning-of-WC3 times. Note that most BW ships in WC4 are referenced to as being old, and do look old (viz. paint job on the banshee) so they probably were around already. BW is a semi-independent militia I guess, so they would have their own stuff (gemini militia does).

Prophecy... meh, it struck me as having little to do with the other WC games. So an enemy just appears out of the blue like that? WC4 made you THINK, the war is over, now what do we do with our military-industrial complex... and you had ethical choices to make. WCP is back to shooting-at-aliens-that-will-not-even-talk-to-us. That was fine for WC1 but come on, even WC2 had more depth!

it shows that all origin's base were belong to EA -_-, they did the same horrible thing to Command&Conquer...

My humble vote is for a wc3-wc4 mix.
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

I think we have been through this once before. The main reason “whyâ€

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

So basically it's the Priv-era frontlines with Nephilim showing up sometimes? ^^; no argument here...

question, are the steltek and the nephilim related? when i saw some neph ships before getting the game i thought "yaay, we get to fight the steltek!"
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

Personally, I'd cast my vote for WC3 era, but mkruer has some good points about WCP...
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."-Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn
Long live the Confederation!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

I vote between WC2 and WC3. The Confed - Kilrathi conflict is too integral to the universe in people's minds to just be left out.
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

The Confed - Kilrathi conflict is too integral to the universe in people's minds to just be left out.
Good point.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

excellent..I love the era between WC2 and WC3...that's the long gap in development too...I remember when a friend and I were writing our own WC3 story (before wc3 hit the shelves)--my pal turned it into his physics class and got a horrible grade because it was supposed to explain Physics, not wing commander...but it was terribly fun to write

eventually we should aim for an overarching story that actually has time periods and allows a user to cross between them...from WC1 to WCP...but picking a timeframe for an initial cut at WCU is not a bad idea
Last edited by hellcatv on Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

my pal turned it into his physics class and got a horrible grade because it was supposed to explain Physics, not wing commander...
Yeah, that might get the teacher just a wee bit upset...:)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

This paper thing NEEDS to go in the "You might be a Wingnut if..." thread. XD
Lone Wolf
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Lone Wolf »

Good idea... :wink: