Seg fault when launching Gemini Gold (linux)

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
yolenoyer
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Seg fault when launching Gemini Gold (linux)

Post by yolenoyer »

Hello,

I just installed Privateer Gemini Gold on my computer, I ran PrivateerGold1.03.bz2.bin as root, and then privsetup, and everything was ok.

But when i want to launch it from the shell, the screen becomes black for a few seconds, and then comes back to the shell and displays the following:

Code: Select all

cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/bin/../Llama.begin.csv': No such file or directory
    a
    b
    c
    In path /usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/bin
    Vega Strike 
    See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
    Found data in /usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/bin/..
    Using /usr/local/games/privateer_Gold as data directory
    Using .privgold100 as the home directory
    Found MODDIR = /usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/mods
    USING HOMEDIR : /home/io/.privgold100 As the home directory
    CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/io/.privgold100/vegastrike.config
    DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /usr/local/games/privateer_Gold
    SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.06
    MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
    Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
    'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    running import sys
    print sys.path
    sys.path = [r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/builtin",r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/quests",r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/missions",r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/ai",r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules",r"/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/bases"]
    ['/usr/lib/python25.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.5/', '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/lib-dynload']
    warning: Python C API version mismatch for module Briefing: This Python has API version 1013, module Briefing has version 1012.
    warning: Python C API version mismatch for module VS: This Python has API version 1013, module VS has version 1012.
    testing VS randomrunning import sys
    print sys.path
    ['/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/builtin', '/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/quests', '/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/missions', '/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules/ai', '/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/modules', '/usr/local/games/privateer_Gold/bases']
    warning: Python C API version mismatch for module Director: This Python has API version 1013, module Director has version 1012.
    warning: Python C API version mismatch for module Base: This Python has API version 1013, module Base has version 1012.
    AL lib: alcConfig.c:141: config parse error: option without a value: "(define"
    Setting Screen to w 800 h 600 and pitch of 3200 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Does anybody have an idea to solve the problem ?
Please write in simple english, thank you ! :)

ps: i ever posted this topic at http://privateer.sourceforge.net/comlin ... f=1&t=2460
I installed vegastrike in parallel, and even if it very slow (with initial graphic settings), it works : no problem with python api or with AL lib! Is the PGG engine older than vegastrike?

Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2
Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Seg fault when launching Gemini Gold (linux)

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard yolenoyer
PGG engine older than vegastrike?
Yes it is older about two years or so and GG forked from the main project as well so we here have no real idea on what is what,but we will try to help.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The core engine is .5 I believe, the main difference is the python. From the testing done by klauss and myself that is the only difference, but the python is old. 2.2 old if memory serves, so we are having issues getting it to run with VS 0.5.1/2 and python 2.7

Anyway, klauss may have an answer for you. Or, do a search for seg faults in Mint. I think there were a few issues there but i don't recall what exactly.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

From the terminal output

Code: Select all

warning: Python C API version mismatch for module VS: This Python has API version 1013, module VS has version 1012.
So it looks to be the Python mismatch in this instance.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
yolenoyer
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by yolenoyer »

Hi,

thx for answers, but what can i do ? I tried to install python 2.4, but it was harder than i did imagine... Is it possible to change the VS engine, while keeping the privateer GG mod?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Easier said than done. The python scripts were written for much older python versions (2.2 i think) so even if you recompiled GG to use 2.7 it would break some of the scripts. Several of us had that problem when trying to update GG (and some of the really old Priv mods). If you or someone you know knows python we could use a hand updating the scripts to work under py2.7 or py3 (the latest VS engine code can use either).
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo