Confusion about Vegastrike

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
mir
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Confusion about Vegastrike

Post by mir »

Hi everyone. Firstly, I'm so very thrilled to be part of the Privateer universe again. Much appreciation to all those hardworking people who've put so much time and effort into bringing Privateer back to our pc's.

I've downloaded Privateer Remake, Privateer Gemini Gold and Vegastrike and have played with each own a bit to get an initial feel of it. And I've read enough to know that:

Privateer Gemini Gold emulates the original as close as possible with no exceptions.

Privateer Remake is not unlike the original and has new ships and new options/missions/items etc. Even a new storyline.

But I'm not too clear on Vegastrike. It looks like it is based on the PR but has more ships and more freedom. I started off with 3 million (!) credits. Is that right? Seems to me it defeats the purpose of amassing wealth to buy a new ship etc.

Another part of my confusion comes from this forum - are people referring to PR or PU or Vegastrike because they all seem interchangeable...

Lastly, where do I download new ships, missions and stories for PR or Vegastrike?

Thanks in advance for answers...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Confusion about Vegastrike

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome mir vegastrike is the engine that WC and PR use and there is also vegastrike the game "Upon the Coldest Sea" completely different universe and and both WC and PR use an older version of the engine as in from four years ago and they consider themselves finished so there will be no further updates.There is a different Privateer mod called Privateer Universe that is using the new version of the engine and extending the story lines have a look here now as for new ships and such for vegastrike which version do you have the old one 0.4.3(four years old) the stable 0.5(1 1/2 years old) or the svn version
mir wrote:I started off with 3 million (!) credits. Is that right? Seems to me it defeats the purpose of amassing wealth to buy a new ship etc.
No that is not right it should be about 3500 credits and no jump drive so you have to do some trading to get out of the starting system i suspect a bit of corruption of your Newgame file.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I think by "WC" he means "Gemini Gold"
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
mir
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by mir »

Thanks for the info, Loki and Phlogios.

I am currently using the PR version 1.2 together with the 1.2 patch which I downloaded from http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/downloads.htm.

Is this the latest for PR? Where can I get the latest one?

I'm also downloading PU right now but it's taking time... :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

As i said PR and WC Gemini Gold consider them selves finished so no further updates while PU is still a work in progress chuck_starchaser is a bit of a perfectionist and also wants to stick with the WC universe canon as closely as possible while still extending the original privateer game with new story lines and player flyable ships that make sense for the backwater that is Gemini sector most of the ship models are to be redone as the ones from PR that they inherited chuck considers to be just not good enough have a look though the PU forum for what he considers acceptable :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2