WCU Alpha 0.1: Patch History 1 - 11

Discuss the Wing Commander Series and find the latest information on the Wing Commander Universe privateer mod as well as the standalone mod Wasteland Incident project.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

bump :p
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Why would the player have to sell the turret and buy it again when its out of ammo? They forgot how to reload weapons in 2669? :P
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

You are releasing patches faster than I can bug-test them :P
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Because putting perishable weapons in turrets and making them reloadable would need rewriting the upgrade thing from scratch... that's why PR has "prebuilt" turrets, by the way, rather than letting you buy guns for your turret. Yeah, it's ugly. No, I don't know how to fix it -- maybe when I get better with c++.
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

oh, those reasons are reasonable enough to me :P

Put in the gun description that the large firing rate of the gun overheats the whole turret and it usually needs to be replaced often.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It should be possible.
Let me take a look at that... hm...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

i have no life :lol: please look at the afterburners.... hope they work as they should.
My Moral Code:
Moonsword
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Moonsword »

Do we need to install all previous patches to make this work?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Right now the main executable is updated to patch 6.

http://www.deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/ ... patch6.zip

so you just need patch 7 and 8.
My Moral Code:
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Patch 8

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remak ... patch8.zip

(NOTE: To make it easier to try stuff, you start in a Morningstar. Careful with the Mace, it will happily blow you up)

FIX: Milspec afterburners can now be bought and sold normally (go to Perry, for example). I think that those don't need tweaking anymore.

FIX: Tractor beam doesn't show up in the gun queue anymore, except by itself or with other beams.

FIX: Same for torpedos and the Mace, so you don't accidentally try to shoot a torpedo at a fighter or blow yourself up by using the Mace at close range (you still CAN, just now there is a safety -- torpedos are good to get rid of Sorthaks if you can tail them long enough)

ADD: Spiffy WC2 torpedo music.

ADD: More customizable lock reticle, I made it look more WCish, also good when torpedoing a capship since you can see where you are at with the lock even when the capship takes up all the screen.

Since we have torpedos and ABs, now there's no obstacle to making a WC1 or WC2 remake! :D

REMINDER: The main executable is at

http://www.deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/ ... patch6.zip
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Spirit you are scaring me.

I dont have anything against a WC1 or WC2 remake, actualy I am all for it... but your plans are to finish WCU first right?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

WCU is an engine (Vegastrike) plus a data set (WCU proper) plus whatever plots happen to be there. If someone wants to make a plot that happens to look just like wc1 or wc2, my job is to make it easy for them to do :) besides, that's stuff that plot writers for an original storyline can use, too.
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Almost everything is perfectly fine. The mace simply rules :P I should have tried it before... its fun.

*The daemons still come with a damaged hull.

*If you sell the daemons reactor you cant replace it with anything.
*I guess daemons arent supposed to be upgradable, so thats the reason you cant buy anything back? Then nothing but stuff that can be replaced should show up as white

*Its good to hear some classic wing commander music in game :) The targeting thingy looks darned cool now and the Afterburners work perfectly so far. I havent actually -bought- a milspec to test with my galaxy... but the afterburner of the morningstar works differently from the one in the daemon ( either that or the level 8 reactor I bought didnt allow for any energy loss to be show ). Though I havent seen fuel loss with the morningstar AB ( if I followed you correctly, now milspec abs should use fuel right )then again I only tested for a few minutes, sorry about that.. I will fly a bit more tommorow.

*Have you been reading the news at crius? Flight Commander released a ship pack.. perhaps if we ask them nicely? :P
( http://flightcommander.solsector.net/ ) Or do you think we have enough ships already?
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Actually a good deal of the FC stuff comes from the WCU shippack :)

I have a bunch of ships that I want to put in the shippack, too, can someone upload them on the cvs tree for me if I tell them where to get them? To wit:

The Kat civilian ships I made
Rigakh
WC2 strakha
Freetrader
Jutland carrier
Waterloo
Dorkir
Lumbari
Snakeir
Armada transport(Terran)
Armada transport(Kilrathi)
WC3 asteroid base
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

as usual... i can dosome of it this weekend heheh.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Patch 9

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remak ... patch9.zip

* Asteroids streamlined a bit, also, each asteroid field is different since we now have random subunit spawning

* AI cleanup for those who like to fly a capship (like me):
-fighters are launched from docking port, not just spawned near capship. this will also happen of mines that are in the cargo hold, if we want them.
-you can only switch view to ships you bought (not hired)
-upon ejection, your fighters will rush in to your ship's last recorded position to pick you up (touch them and use [ to board)
-if you're flying a fighter, your capship will mostly stand still when you issue orders (exception being the "form up" order), it will just rotate to fire at targets & use its turrets. this lets you position your capship sensibly.
-fixed pathological cases for orders

* A few very minor cleanups all round
* Protontorpedos should load a little faster
* Player's eject capsule somewhat more responsive
* If your main unit is low on fuel, docking a fighter to it will transfer some of the fuel to the main unit.

REMINDER: If you have ejected, you must go close to the ship you wish to board, AND OWN IT, then hit [ as if switching ships. This will let you switch AND remove the ejection seat.

NOTE: If you can't see any starships for sale in te station/planet CARGO screen, don't panic. YOU NEED A DOCKING PORT TO BE ABLE TO CARRY FIGHTERS. Go to the same base in a Drayman and they will be there.
My Moral Code:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@spirit: I'm a little behind on the patches... but have you fixed the "Asteroid AI" problem? Specifically, if you blow up an asteroid, the asteroid fragments will have an AI and will flee! And, if you shoot at them, they'll react! And, if you keep shooting, they'll say [Static]. Very funny.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

yep, fixed it :)

the patchs shold be a pplied in order unfortunately. sorry
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

You might want to recheck the ordance for fighters. I was flying a Vaktoth around today ( damn, I wanted to fly that ship since that mission in WC3 were you had to destroy 4 of them alone ) and I noticed it had a heavy plasma cannon and a heavy laser, besides the two tachyons ( or were they ions.. well whatever )

AFAIK heavy guns are meant for cap ship only, also I am sure the Vaktoth had 2 plasma guns, not one plasma gun and one laser.

The morningstar, I noticed it had a heavy particle gun too, though the two others were of the normal starfighter kind.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Those aren't player-flyable :) some ships have "heavy" guns for AI reasons, otherwise they won't attack phase shield equipped ships. It's mostly a bomber thing as I'm sure you noticed. Also, AI bombers have their torpedos defined as guns, for the same reason.

The morningstar has a player flyable version without those. :)
My Moral Code:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

spiritplumber wrote:...some ships have "heavy" guns for AI reasons, otherwise they won't attack phase shield equipped ships.
Sounds like a nasty hack with a rusty axe. Surely the best way to do this is to make bombers attack capships if they have torpedoes, rather than to over-arm them with heavy weapons.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

That already happens, thing is, missile usage depends a LOT on difficulty level -- not only against the player, in general. This was done before I was told that I could poke at the source code :) I got tired of watching bombers doing attack runs but not actually shooting anything, so I got around to it.

This said, yeah, I want to add a "if no weapons match the role for this target, change target" thing in the engine.
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

Even so, Vaktoths should not have a heavy laser, but two heavy plasma cannons :P They are really tough critters.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

patch 10

Post by spiritplumber »

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remak ... atch10.zip

Data only patch -- doesn't contain an executable. The last things I need to do executable wise are:

(1) make formation distance selectable
(2) implement a generic damage texture instead of editing all the model files
(3) put in a "global size fudge factor" var in the .config.

What's new here:

* Put in the new Caernaven
* Damage texture (the same all around, but it looks fairly nice! see liveries thread) for caernaven, demon, drayman, talon and tarsus
* Removed race-specific planets (now planets handle themselves faction wise, same as bases)
* Streamlined base defenses so the poor kitty who will have to do the base subunits & docking ports will have a somewhat easier time
* Added some planet textures -- specifically, the Rock texture is red, so Mars looks OK
* Proton rockets less powerful, use 0.5 volume
* Added proton bombs -- use 3 volume, quite strong, will fly inertially so make sure you give them enough speed by afterburning, THEN yourself enough space to turn away once launched!!!
* Caernaven is now fully flyable (equipped etc.) also since the player version carries less powerful missiles and no torpedos, you get an AMG in front where the radar dish is.

(For fun: Buy a Demon for your Caernaven, launch it, transfer to it, and tell the Caernaven to attack, say, a mining base -- when an order is issued, your capship will NOT MOVE unless it's an "Ejected, come near me so I can transfer aboard" or a "form on my wing (for now) order. However, the capship will use its turrets and any long range weapons it has. Now watch the Caernaven do orbital bombardment, at least until the base launches its defense fighters, at which point you have a nice "defend your capship" mission... except it's all your stuff, and it's all unscripted!)

* Put in some effort to get "serious" upgrade spaces for ships

* Messed with Sol a little -- note the carrier docked at the mars drydock.

* Cleaned up units.csv somewhat (now the bases are all in the same block, for example).
Last edited by spiritplumber on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Moral Code:
Fireskull
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Fireskull »

uh

is the link for that right?